Author Topic: Is it OK to foster a cocker? - Updated with pics  (Read 16767 times)

Offline dmulally

• Site Member
Is it OK to foster a cocker? - Updated with pics
« on: October 21, 2007, 11:30:44 PM »
Hi All,

Just a quick question.

There is a cocker at the pound kind of in the area and I was wondering if it is ok to foster a cocker until someone was ready to have them.

The cocker is going to be put down in a week or so unless claimed. While I think it would be great to save him, does it play with his feelings if he is housed for a while and pampered and then sent to another home (hopefully forever)? I am not in a position to keep him forever.

Rommel hasnt met many other dogs so god knows what would happen there.

The dog in question is this fellow... http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=116184

I am a complete novice when it comes to dogs but I have a massive backyard and he would get all the attention he could ever hope to get from me. And Rommel can teach him how to destroy a garden. I see that Tillydog from here has PM'd so I am trying to contact her.

Cheers

Damian

(mods, feel free to move this as you see fit)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Re: Is it OK to foster a cocker?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 11:38:15 PM »
I'm a novice too but if it was me given the choice of taking the dog in for a week or two or see it put down then I'd have to foster  :D

It might be hard on Rommel or he might take to this new boy? 

You'd also have to think of you!  Could you cope with a possible unruly dog that you weren't going to keep?  Would you be able to let him go again?

Whatever you decide I hope that this lad finds a permenant home soon  :luv:

Offline dmulally

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 11:49:53 PM »
What I want comes second. Just ask Rommel. He has known that since day one.

Rommel is ok with other dogs I guess. He normally runs right up then is submissive or skips around them.

I would be able to let him go again for someone who would be around more as I work too much.

Nobody can be more unruly than Rommel. I have to lock the garage so he cant get to the spray paint as if he did, I am sure he would find a way to spray the side of the house.

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 11:53:09 PM »
I've just sent you a PM Damian :)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 12:20:57 AM »
Aw, poor sweet boy  :'(

It's an interesting question, but in the end if you have a chance to save a life......

You can try to foster but the danger is that they never leave  :005: I had pulled Jordie from the pound with the intent to rehome him after some health rehabilitation. 2 years later he's still here. Guess I forgot to try to find a home  ::) :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline GailyK81

• Donator
  • My Beautiful boy Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 12:25:19 AM »
ah i just looked at the link, I know how u feel how can u leave him.  foster has got to be better than the alternative.  He the other side of the world but even i am considering it :luv:

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 12:37:21 AM »
Are we allowed to place bets on whether if you do foster you are able to part with him again. They get under your skin these dratted dogs  :luv: :luv: :luv:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »
don't understand how anyone can fail at fostering ....... ph34r
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline dmulally

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 02:54:30 AM »
Update...

I have heard from a gentleman who went to visit him last Friday. He had this to say about him...

"I saw him on Friday. He did not appear aggressive, was happy to be handled and went for a short walk on the lead with me. He did not look at all concerned about the other dogs. He does look very depressed however (as to be expected). I would suggest you take your 6 month old if possible to meet him at the pound (just in case)"

I just got a hold of the pound who are very friendly but dont know anything about cockers. She says that he isnt the nicest dog. She says that if you stand in front of his cage he will bark into space but not at you. He is a little snappy in her opinion so she thinks he may have been mistreated and has people trust issues. A little fox terrier keeps sneaking into his cage and apparently they are great friends so she says he is fine with other dogs.

I am not fussed about him being snappy at me as I have lived with a cocker that I believed had rage syndrome and I knew the boundaries quick smart. I am however, responsible for little Rommel so will have to bring him up and we can see how we all get on. Perhaps go for a walk or have a tea party or something.

Should I bring a few treats with me to see if they have food agression? Should I take them both for a walk to see if they carry on? Should I give one a hug in front of the other? Should I time how fast they run 100m? I was thinking of heading there tomorrow morning but I shall wait another day so I can read the replies to this post. Thanks in advance as I am relying on you all.

Just as he is relying on me. He is due to be put down next week. Poor little guy.

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 03:14:25 AM »
Take Rommel with you and make a fuss of them both at the same time when it comes to greeting the other dog. Let them both check each other out first and see what happens.

Good Luck :D

I hope things work out well

Let me know.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 08:09:02 AM »
He is a little snappy in her opinion so she thinks he may have been mistreated and has people trust issues.
I guess I'd be a little snappy and bark if I had been taken out of my home and put in a strange prison.

I hope everything goes well tomorrow. Better to meet off lead and in a spacious but enclosed space if possible IMO. Fern can be snappy (sort of, she screams rather than snaps) if restricted on a lead and a strange dog invades her space. Off lead she is fine as she can take her time to circle and sniff from a distance iyswim. New dog could be similar, or he could be absolutely fine.
Can you walk with new dog on a long line if Rommel is offlead, or is that not allowed?

Take treats by all means, but I am not sure you will be able to detect food aggression at this stage as it is not a normal situation. It might give you an idea of his ability to understand 'sit' and 'gently'  ;)  though. Just make sure you treat both equally. Getting them to sit together and treating at the same time might be an idea to begin with.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 08:10:38 AM »
I agree with tillydog.  It would be best for them to meet on neutral territory.  Hope you or somebody else can help this little lad.   :D

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 08:15:34 AM »
Oh gosh Id be snappy too if I was in his position. Fingers crossed the meeting with Rommel goes well and they get on so you are able to save this wee guy  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 08:25:20 AM »
The cocker is going to be put down in a week or so unless claimed. While I think it would be great to save him, does it play with his feelings if he is housed for a while and pampered and then sent to another home (hopefully forever)? I am not in a position to keep him forever.

I wouldn't worry about sending him on to a new home but don't overdo it with the pampering ;) I find it best to use the time re fostering to assess them, and then especially if there have been problems in the old home to give them some boundaries. Its the same if you take on any rescue cocker not to try to overcompensate for what you may feel has been their previous life --- they're a dog and don't think like us. I end up with a slightly stricter regime on my own dogs as well until everything settles down to prevent 'battles', eg I sometimes have to have a 'no-sofa/no-bed' rule for everyone if I'm sitting on it as thats the place where there are more likely going to be problems.

If you do go ahead then meet up with the cocker on neutral ground rather than straight in to your house.

Do you have backup for this dog from a rescue
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 08:29:35 AM »
Take treats by all means, but I am not sure you will be able to detect food aggression at this stage as it is not a normal situation. It might give you an idea of his ability to understand 'sit' and 'gently'  ;)  though. Just make sure you treat both equally. Getting them to sit together and treating at the same time might be an idea to begin with.

I agree. A number of cockers for one reason or another can have these issues, and they can manifest in various ways --- a great book on the subject is Jean Donaldson's 'Mine'
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!