Author Topic: I just love this quote  (Read 2377 times)

Offline PennyB

I just love this quote
« on: January 01, 2004, 08:25:27 PM »
Was looking on a gundog training site for whistles (trying to find something to distract Wilf's deafness with while we're out!) and found a series of videos on training (working) cockers in the field whcih are introduced with:

"The Cocker Spaniel as a breed is so unpredictable, a genie, a will o' the wisp, difficult to pin down to reality, but such a rewarding little person. Just as you are feeling exasperated with some aspect of their work they will do something remarkable that will leave you smiling and shaking your head in amazement. The Cocker, more than any other spaniel, has the ability and character to lift your spirits. Pound for pound they are more tenacious than others"

All the people I know who have never lived with cockers think I'm going mad as they all believe they are cute biddable lapdogs and can never understand why I'm often seen 'tearing my hair out' with them :lol: And it all goes to prove its not just me as the experts obviously agree                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline markjcage

• Site Member
I just love this quote
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 10:22:32 AM »
LOL, that sums Cockers up very well.
As for whistles, I found that the ACME ones are very good at curing selective deafness, especially when used in combination with an occasional treat.

I've got the 210 version:
http://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/dogs.html                    

Offline PennyB

I just love this quote
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 01:35:34 PM »
Thanks Mark they were the whistles I was looking for (someone suggested the 210 1/2 one).                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline english.springer

• Site Member
    • http://www.cropsafe.co.uk
I just love this quote
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 05:20:42 PM »
Hi penny

Before you buy from the acme site try a local gun shop as they will be alot cheaper a 210 / 210 1/2 should only cost about £3.75 - £4.50 dependent on shop.
If you can't get one let me know and I will go to my local shop  and I will post one to you.

About the quote how true it is :lol:

Ian                    
Good birds on the day are only as good as the dogs that put them there!.........If it\'s still moving send the dog!

Offline PennyB

I just love this quote
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 05:44:40 PM »
Have just been out with friends walking our respective dogs. One who's really into dog training (she has Welsh terriers) still seems to think we're just useless at training them rather than the fact that cockers can just be down right difficult (she can't get past that oh so innocent butter wouldn't melt in my mouth image of them).

I had heard that of all the gundogs can be are the most difficult to train, but don't we just love them.

There are loads of sites I've found selling the whistles I want at the price you quoted Ian, and have discovered there's a gun shop in Roath, Cardiff, which isn't too far away. Too be honset I know it won't cure his 'deafness', but its something to 'distract' his attention every now and then on to me and if his deafness does take him too far at least he'd know where I was (the other day when he did a runner, once he removed his nose from the ground he'd become disoriented and as it was very windy he couldn't hear me calling as so followed a person nearby wearing the same jacket!)                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline english.springer

• Site Member
    • http://www.cropsafe.co.uk
I just love this quote
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 06:01:24 PM »
The problem being is not the dog but us! :oops:  Most gundog trainers will tell you that you have to be trained to train the dog. A dog will only do things wrong if allow to! Spaniels are amazing at taking the P give them an inch they will take a mile, but when they are doing what you ask them to do the feeling is amazing. :D

Whistle training is great and can show results very quickly but the key is not to over do it and always end the training session on a high.

The deafness you talk about should be called "spaniels ear" :lol:
Recall on the whistle is good as the dog will hear the whistle even if he/she doesn't want too! But the bonus is the dog knows you know :wink:

Good luck

Ian                    
Good birds on the day are only as good as the dogs that put them there!.........If it\'s still moving send the dog!

Offline PennyB

I just love this quote
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 11:53:04 AM »
The problem being is not the dog but us! :oops:  Most gundog trainers will tell you that you have to be trained to train the dog. A dog will only do things wrong if allow to! Spaniels are amazing at taking the P give them an inch they will take a mile, but when they are doing what you ask them to do the feeling is amazing. :D

Ian

I couldn't agree more with the above Ian, but I think my Welsh terrier friend and the like that don't know spaniels are of the opinion that spaniel b****y mindedness and taking the P is more about the fact that they are stupid and haven't got the intelligence to think for themselves!!!!                    
Friends of Hailey Park