Author Topic: How Mad is Cocker Mad???  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Fran

• Site Member
How Mad is Cocker Mad???
« on: January 05, 2004, 03:48:44 PM »
Firstly I would like to wish you all a belated Happy Christmas and New Year..

Secondly!.... Suzie will be 2 in April and she is just NOT  getting any calmer.  She is absolutely adorable, not naughty  but  NUTS!  She does sit when told when someone is at the door but then she can't contain herself and charges into the front room jumping from  settee to sette crying, holding her paw out for visitors to say hello to her.  It takes on average around 10 minutes for her to clam down (ownly by pure exhaustion)  If anyone can give me any good tip on calming this situation I would really appreciate it.  

Thanks, Fran.                    

Offline Fran

• Site Member
How Mad is Cocker Mad???
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 04:08:37 PM »
Just posting my own reply.... as I have not been on COL for so long just catching up on all posts and found out this was subject was started by Mary under BEHAVIOUR - WELCOMING VISITORS.. so I now know that I am not on my own and Suzie is not THAT nutty...

Thanks.                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
How Mad is Cocker Mad???
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 05:10:48 PM »
They are all daft it seems, the trouble is being consistent with them. Sometimes I find their antics hysterically funny, on another day the same behaviour will drive me mad with frustration. :roll:  I presume I'm not alone in this, so Cockers must find us humans as odd as we do them at times. :lol:

As for the calming down ......... I'm starting to wonder if they ever do. Jimmy turned 2 in December yet still acts like a complete loon at times. He does seem to have longer periods of normality between the crazy moments though, so maybe there is hope. :lol:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
How Mad is Cocker Mad???
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 05:20:11 PM »
Meg is nearly 10, Neneh 5 in July and Otis 8) 2 in Feb, all as mad as a barrow load of frogs :?  :lol:                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
How Mad is Cocker Mad???
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 07:56:54 PM »
Will have to agree with you all there and say that Cockers never calm down :roll: if you've got a mad one then I'm sorry to say they will stay mad even in their twilight years.

Sebastian is 6 and Bart is 4 and they are both mad  :roll:  :roll: but loveable  :wink:                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline cassie

• Site Member
How Mad is Cocker Mad???
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 09:22:16 PM »
All cockers hav a mad moment but one thing for sure if there quite there up to somthing .Maybe not all but mine is and the 1 before that mad 1/2hour ,5 mins and i wonder were they get this energy from.WE tend to walk her a lot about 8 pm that carms here down and also she goes to puppy classes she normally tiered after that all the learning and playing.                    
If chocolate was not here I wouldn't be either!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
How Mad is Cocker Mad???
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 09:50:51 PM »
:D  :D Indie is like the town hall clock, two faces :wink:   When theres noone but us here, she is very sedate and calm and just wants cuddles on your knee.  As soon as anyone comes, she puts her I'm a loonie tunes head on and off she goes, galloping around and jumping up and licking everyone in sight, its all done with love for her visitors, but she can forget to stop and gets totally carried away with herself.  Which I suppose can annoy some callers who aren't as mad on dogs as we are :?

I wouldn't change Indie for the world though and if visiters don't like it well they know where the door is :P   She is part of the family and if she wants to come and chew a pigs ear infront of my vegetarian mum in law, then she can, its her home afterall :wink:

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
How Mad is Cocker Mad???
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 10:55:46 PM »
I had a few unexpected visitors the night before Christmas Eve and Lottie just went mad :roll:   I found away to calm her down.....I'd bought her a raw hide bone (the ones knotted like a bone...Gilly, like the one you bought her :wink: ) for Christmas and hadn't got round to wrapping it.  I gave her this and she just walked round with it the whole time looking for hiding places 8)  :D   What a success :wink:

My Mum keeps telling me that she will calm down soon and I'm finding it very difficult to get her to believe that she won't.  Once a mad cocker always a mad cocker :D                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
How Mad is Cocker Mad???
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 03:35:37 PM »
isn't their madness why we love them so much?????? I'ts like having a spoilt 2 year old child constantly!!!! Fun fun fun - and i didn't realy want a clean house anyhoo! :lol:                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline cassie

• Site Member
How Mad is Cocker Mad???
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 08:22:18 PM »
Thats one reason and an other is how soft and cuddable they are. :o                    
If chocolate was not here I wouldn't be either!