Author Topic: looking for some advice  (Read 1559 times)

Offline becsf

• Site Member
looking for some advice
« on: January 06, 2004, 10:15:16 PM »
just lookin for some advice.Some time in the future i would like to get another dog ,we already have a jr terrier cross,and two children.just wondering if cockers would be an ideal addition to our family be grateful for any advice thanks,or suggestions of any other suitable breeds. :D                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
looking for some advice
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 02:51:57 PM »
Hi - welcome to the group. It would perhaps help if you told us a bit more about your circumstances before we say either way.

How old are your children, do you work, what's the temperament and age of your JR, are you prepared for the grooming and training needs for a Cocker etc etc. If you can give us this, I'm sure we can help. :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline becsf

• Site Member
looking for some advice
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 05:20:43 PM »
:) sorry i didn't give much information before,i wasn't sure if anyone would reply,but am glad you have!
I have two girls one three and a baby of six months.I dont work and spend most of my time at home.Our other baby dennis the Jr x is 5 neutered male.very soft,sometimes too soft,when it comes to other dogs he tends to be dominated!Especially by the girls!
I am only at the information stage at the mo trying to find out as poss,we are not looking to get a puppy straight away.Thanks for any advice on breeds you can offer.  :D                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
looking for some advice
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 05:35:23 PM »
Hi Becs

Cockers make very good family pets because as a breed they are very sociable and merry - they can be quite exciteable too, so if you're looking for a real bundle of fun, a cocker could be a good addition. Their coats do take some managing, you can either learn to do this yourself as many of us have on this board, or visit a groomer regularly to do it for you. Training them in general is relatively easy, but sometimes they can be headstrong and it might take a while to sink in - but that can be said of any breed I guess  :wink:

Having owned a jack russell before, I initially thought it might not be the best of matches, but if you say that yours is quite placid rather than 'intense' as many JRs can be, I'd say that should also be fine.

The only possible problem, and again you may find this with any breed, is that reputable breeders often dont tend to let their pups go to homes with babies/toddlers - just saying that to prepare you that you might meet some resistance when conducting your search  :wink:  

Hope this helps anyway. ANy more questions, dont hesitate to ask  :)                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
looking for some advice
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 10:21:36 PM »
Hi there Becs, welcome to COL.
I have 2 (separate) cockers that come for grooming and they both live with JR's, so I wouldn't have thought that should be a problem as long as when you choose your puppy it isn't one that is v dominant with its litter mates (if you find a good breeder, she will know what each pup is like) as this trait usually is with the dog for life.

As far as the children are concerned. Cockers are well known for jumping up :roll:  and although I know you've said you are only making enquiries about the breed at the moment I would be inclined to wait until the children were a bit older to save them getting bowled over :cry: Other than that as long as you get your pup from a good source Cockers and children can go wonderfully together.