Author Topic: Standing on Ears!!!!!  (Read 4630 times)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« on: January 12, 2004, 11:25:23 AM »
I just wondered if anyone else's cockers stand on their ears all the time  :shock: With all the wet weather there is no other word to describe Buttys ears other than "minging"  :shock:
Everytime I take her out like most cockers her nose is to the ground  :wink: but she actually trips up on her ears ALL the time, you'd think by now she'd have got used to them  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  but apparantley not  :roll: It is so funny watching her as her head jerks from side to side everytime she stands on her ears ( Colin can vouch for this  :wink: ) but with all the wet grass and left over dog poo from everyone else  :x  her ears absolutely stink  :? I dry her off when she comes in, then she comes up for a cuddle and she absolutely stinks of someone elses dog poo (wouldn't mind so much if it was at least her own  :wink: ) I have noticed tho that Butty does seem to have really long ears compared to other cockers I have seen  :?:
Does anyone else have this problem??

Gilly                    

Offline PennyB

Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 12:12:14 PM »
Usually when mine's overdue to get clipped :lol:                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 12:13:40 PM »
Hi Gilly and pongy Butty  :wink:

Unfortunately this type of thing goes with owning a Cocker.  All mine occassionally trip on there's but I can't say that they really stink though.

If the feathering on the end of her ears is really long you can trim some of this off even though you Show her - some prefer the ears not to go any further down than the shoulders.

Hoping somebody else might have some advice.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 05:20:45 PM »
Hi Gilly

Although Indies ears don't seem as long as Butties (from the pic) she does tend to get them wet, as she loves mooching around too!!  As you are all aware it takes forever drying them :roll:   If Indie's ears get particulary niffie, I use a Johnsons baby wipe on them, just on the ends to refreshen them :)   It does the trick till her next bath!!                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 06:39:43 PM »
Hi Gilly!
Millie is forever walking on her ears... it really is quite comical to watch! The worst of it though is if she tries to sniff whilst on the lead (I try to keep her head up whilst on the lead), and then trips over her ears, she usually ends up under my feet and me tripping over her!! I suppose this is also quite comical to watch! :oops:
Anyway , pingy .. hmmm never noticed, I do tend to use leave in conditioner on her ears and feathers between baths though - maybe that might help with the pong?

K                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 09:59:15 PM »
Gilly, you could always make Butty a snood. A length of material sewn up one side to make a tube shape and then sew elastic (not too tight :oops: ) in at each end. They do have these at shows but 99% of the time they are a sparkly lurex material suited more to our American cousins :?                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 10:25:40 PM »
Thanks all for your replies  :wink: I don't think i made myself clear and made it sound like I leave them smelling of poo  :shock:  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  Anyway, I've decided i might trim a bit of the hair of the ends of her ears due to the bad weather and I'm going to make a big tabard with dayglo paper which i will wear while out walking her for the benefit of all the people that don't pick up their dogs poo that says "Can I rub my dogs poo in your hair???"  :wink:  :twisted:  :lol:  :lol:                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 10:41:34 PM »
It's funny that you brought this up.  Morgan is always standing on his ears but it was only on Saturday that I noticed his ear trail in a poo that he was sniffing and made a point of cleaning the ends of his ears when we got home.  He always gets them dried and brushed at the end of a walk but I'd never thought about washing them - it made stop and think about all the bugs that must get onto them :?

It is comical, though, to watch himso engrossed in following a scent that he treads first on one then the other and he'll dot hat for a good few yards before he finally decides that it's too much bother  :lol:

Buttons does seem to have long ears - Morgan's seem quite long when he's relaxed but when hears something or sees a cat they appear might higher up on his head.                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 12:20:52 AM »

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 12:31:28 AM »
I have absolutely no idea what it's called in english  :oops: (i'll try to take a photo and put it on my homepage for you all to see), but all mine wear this peace of clothing around their necks (their ears are kept inside them) when they are outside in wet/snowy weather. They also wear them when eating.
We have no problems with the ears getting wet/dirty  :)                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 12:36:17 AM »
Its called a "snood" over here Katina...Michele mentioned them in her post above. Although probably a good idea I can't see my hubby walking Butty with a glittery snood on her head.....not in this lifetime anyway  :lol:  :lol:                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 12:37:35 AM »
oh ok , thanks :). I learned a new word then!                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 10:41:55 AM »
Gilly

I have the same problem - its funny to watch but not clean up afterwards! Butty's ears are very long. As we don't show Phoebe, I got her groomer to trim her a bit shorter than nomal (not too much) but her ears are still long. I don't think she'd look right if they were shorter.

My sister in law shows afghans and she uses the snood and leg warmers for their legs!                    
Anita

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2004, 12:55:32 PM »
Hi

Not quite as glamorous i know but if you can't get hold of a snood straight away, get an old sock cut out the toe then bobs your uncle - a make shift snood :P

Not just for winter though, they are a must have for summer walkies in the fight against..............Grass Seeds - Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :evil:

Torie xxx                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline T

• Site Member
Standing on Ears!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2004, 02:39:30 PM »
Hey what a cool idea!!!

Ohh Charlie-Spud is gonnnnnaaa looooovvveee us!!!!  :lol:

Found these so far ...

http://bisketbaskets.com/snoodbybisba.html
http://www.k-azar.com/snoods.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~ACacheOfJewelsA...nnex/snood.html                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!