Author Topic: Food  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Food
« on: January 14, 2004, 04:00:06 PM »
Just a quick question that wondered through my mind that has been battered at work today.

Should raw hide chews and dentarusk thingies be counted when weighing out normal food. If so how do you equate things?

Phoebe gets 6 oz of food each day over two meals, but then she may have a couple of markie's and a raw hide chew, or biscuits and a couple of smacko's.

The extra's are given when I leave her for work or when she comes back from her walk.

He weight is stable (must remember to weight her!!!) and she's not chubby - just a question out of curiosity really :)  :)  What does everyone else think??                    
Anita

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Food
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 07:00:43 PM »
Brook gets a denta rask every day and it does say that the main diet should be adjusted accordingly. I haven't altered the amount of his food  :oops:  but his weight has remained stable. I suppose you would have to weigh the amount of food you give Phoebe and then subtract the weight of the denta rask/rawhide chew. Sounds too much like hard work to me :wink:  but maybe you should monitor her weight regularly(as she has been spayed)and if you notice it creeping up, then you can get the calculator out :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Food
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 07:11:15 PM »
Anita - I agree with Gill - apply your instincts and just watch her weight. If she starts filling out, reduce her food or the treats. Raw-hide chews won't give her much  in the way of calories, but will exercise her jaws :D Little treats and chews like Rask can mount up if you give too many, but a sensible amount will do no harm at all and you shouldn't need to get your calculator out :D

If being spayed has made her a little more eager for food and treats, cut them down by for example, only giving half a schmacko instead of a full one. Just don;t make it hard work for yourself :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Food
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 09:08:41 AM »
Thanks guys

I still weight her food out for her so hopefully she won't put weight on. THe raw hide chews are the things she gets most of (for the teeth :) ) so I'll just make sure I weight her regularly.                    
Anita