Author Topic: Adult or puppy  (Read 1756 times)

Offline sams

• Site Member
Adult or puppy
« on: January 20, 2004, 05:16:16 PM »
We are considering a cocker to fill the gap left by our retriever who we lost last year. Having had a dog for 30 odd years we are getting withdrawal symptons. Also being semi retired and only occasonal visits from grandchildren we have more time.

We always bought a pup (westie, old english, retriever ) and now thinking about a cocker.

Any comments or views would be appreciated. :?

lynseyloo

Adult or puppy
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 08:53:09 PM »
well I am no expert on these matters, but my first thought was older cocker in a rescue..it is a personal choice thing though.  

someone more experienced than moi will come along soon though, just wanted to answer you post, so you knew you was being heard ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide is riht for you and your familys situation.  :)                    

Offline PennyB

Adult or puppy
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 11:26:23 PM »
I guess it depends on whether you want to go through all that puppy thing again and then when you think you can take a breather along comes the teenage cocker with some more bright ideas to keep you on your toes (its not just the mess but there's the training and all the behaviour stuff as well to think about)!

If you decide on an older cocker it might be worth getting one from cocker rescue or a rescue that assesses each dog (especially those that foster dogs in homes so that they get a better idea of how each will be in a persons home when they're rehomed).

You might find that older cockers come as a pair, which is great as I think (then I'm biased) that cockers are great in 2's.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Adult or puppy
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 06:08:14 PM »
I'd say go for a rescue if there is a suitable one available but if you have a puppy then you will find it will quickly settle into your routine.  
My in-laws are in their late 70s and had a cocker puppy last year.  It has changed their lives (for the better) and it is all they talk about!!  
They've always had rescue dogs before (mongrels) from Birmingham Dogs Home but they are besotted with their cocker and so pleased with her, especially her devotion to them both and her antics!                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline sams

• Site Member
Adult or puppy
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 06:46:31 PM »
Thanks for the comments. We will probably go for a puppy because we now have the time to train it properly and would have the option to breed or show if we take the notion. Also adult cockers seem hard to come by and the on line rescue ones appear to have more wanters than are available.

Sams                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Adult or puppy
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 12:22:13 AM »

Offline sams

• Site Member
Adult or puppy
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 05:46:41 PM »
We've done it   :P  :D  :o

Went to see a 4 week old litter and there was no way we could resist so one was booked on the spot. They were all black and will be ready to leave the mother at the end of Feb.
 :D  :D
I'm sure this will be the start of many " what do I do next " questions.

:!:

Sams