Author Topic: Dog Poo in the garden..... What do YOU do with it? :)  (Read 13508 times)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Dog Poo in the garden..... What do YOU do with it? :)
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 10:28:04 AM »
It gets bagged in nappy bag which goes into a small bin (lined with bag) in the garden. When the main rubbish bag in our kitchen is changed about twice a week it gets added into that and put out in the wheely bin. So it goes out with the normal rubbish.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007, 01:37:15 PM »
I bag it and bin it, but if the council start charging by weight in wheelie bins it's gonna cost me a fortune as Pooh from 3 dogs
weighs quite a bit ::)
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007, 01:46:24 PM »
 ;) This is an article on the bbc website !  http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A11998461

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2007, 01:50:21 PM »
doG I hope the council's don't start charging by weight!  With Wilson around you can barely wheel our wheely bin round the front after 2 weeks worth of Dane poops in there!  I had a lovely suprise when Paisley our 11 week old cocker did her first poo!  So tiny!  I can get about 5 of hers in one bag!  Wilson sometimes needs two bags for one of his!!!  :o   ::)

Oh and I bag and bin too!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline TeresaC

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2007, 01:55:42 PM »
We bag it up and once a week take to the doggy pooh bin near the park

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2007, 01:56:29 PM »
depends on the local authority but most allow you to double bag it and put it out with their normal collection. Check with your Refuse Disposal office.

Doggy toilets are rubbish.

Tossing it into a field or leaving it to "dissappear" not good. While the substance may not be visible - all the nasties are very much still there. I find that quite disgusting tbh.

Mine gets scooped into a carrier bag then put into the local authority black bin bag and collected weekly. I wil also put my post or stuff with personal details on in the same carrier bag - that way if anyone wants to nick it - they have a very nasty way of finding it >:D
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2007, 02:18:51 PM »
Tossing it into a field or leaving it to "dissappear" not good. While the substance may not be visible - all the nasties are very much still there. I find that quite disgusting tbh.

Does that apply to poos out on walks in woods etc then?  And if it is my field/hedge it is tossed into I don't see how anyone could object to that.  The village society here has advised people that it is more environmentally friendly to leave it if in a field or woods (not on the footpath obviously) as it will decompose naturally as with the poo of wild animals and saves millions of plastic bags of poo going into landfill  :shades:  I reckon Coco's poo probably has less nasties than the local foxes, badgers, rabbits, deer etc too :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 02:31:08 PM »
If it's your land then you do what you want - but if it's public than its not good. :-\ For me it's about the fact that fox poo and rabbit poo belongs in fields etc - dog poo doesn't. And it's also about volume of the stuff.

How true it is I don't know but I do recall someone on here once posting that the toxins in dog poo can cause certain farm animals to abort - like I say - how true I don't know.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline wales07

• Site Member
  • Honey - rest in peace my precious
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2007, 02:44:51 PM »
We scoop it up with a shovel and put it straight in the outside bin and it just goes with the normal household rubbish.Always done this and never had any problems yet.

Offline Chellejm

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2007, 04:40:40 PM »
Herbie so far has never poohed ona  walk :-\ Maybe he's shy?!
So I have a daily poo picking expedition in the garden!
I put a poo bag in a flower pot to hold it open then use another over my hand to pick up the deposits :P

Then pop the poo bag from my hand into the one including the poos and pop it in the wheelie bin :D
The Herbster!!

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »
The village society here has advised people that it is more environmentally friendly to leave it if in a field or woods (not on the footpath obviously) as it will decompose naturally as with the poo of wild animals and saves millions of plastic bags of poo going into landfill  :shades: 

Yes I went somewhere last year, can't for the life of me think where, and they have the same policy.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2007, 05:02:16 PM »
The village society here has advised people that it is more environmentally friendly to leave it if in a field or woods (not on the footpath obviously) as it will decompose naturally as with the poo of wild animals and saves millions of plastic bags of poo going into landfill  :shades: 

Yes I went somewhere last year, can't for the life of me think where, and they have the same policy.

I know that's what they advocate in Windsor Great Park, as long as it is off the footpaths/walkways.
When we walked there last year we saw a pooh bag hung in a hedge -  what was the point :dunno:

It's the same at shows, especially the Champ shows, people get there, exercise the dogs and shove the pooh bag under the car, then later at the end of the day just drive off!   >:(

Offline BillysMum

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2007, 05:48:33 PM »
We bag it and take whatever we collect to the dog bin twice a day, theres a dog bin at the entrance to the heath which is accross the road so i don't have to walk far while carrying however many poo bags :D

In the summer i found our wheelie bin started to stink when we bagged and binned it and we tried the dog toilet in the garden and it was useless so for us it's easier to just take it to the dog bin!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2007, 06:22:59 PM »
At home, I bag it, pop it in a pedal-bin that we keep outside lined with a carrier bag and then take it to the local dog-poo bin once or twice a week.  The waste from these bins is incinerated (as it is considered the same as medical waste) not landfilled  :D

As for leaving poo in public spaces, the Forestry Commission has been promoting a "stick and flick" technique on their land for a couple of years for environmental reasons, and I am sure if it was damaging to their land they would not be asking dog owners to leave poo on their land - dog poo is no worse than fox poo, badger poo or even hedgehog poo; they are all carnivores too  :huh: 

Lets be honest, dogs don't "belong" anywhere - so neither does their poo; we have domesticated them in the same way as we have cows, sheep and horses - and all of those animals have been pooing in the countryside for generations...... ;)  As long as the poo is removed from the trafficked areas, then I agree with the Forestry Commission, the most environmentally friendly method is to allow it to degrade, not use plastics and fuel to dispose of it  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2007, 06:39:48 PM »
At home, I bag it, pop it in a pedal-bin that we keep outside lined with a carrier bag and then take it to the local dog-poo bin once or twice a week.  The waste from these bins is incinerated (as it is considered the same as medical waste) not landfilled  :D

What do you mean by "dog poo bin", do you mean the same ones that are in parks etc, or are these special bins? We have one in the park that's about 20 metres from my front door, it's never occurred to me to put our "pooh from home" in there, or am i totally wrong here?  :005:

Also, with the landfills, what about if you use biodegradable pooh bags , will they then not just disintegrate in to the landfill  :huh: