Author Topic: Dog Poo in the garden..... What do YOU do with it? :)  (Read 13593 times)

Offline Astridx

• Site Member
Re: Dog Poo in the garden..... What do YOU do with it? :)
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2008, 05:01:10 PM »
Doesn't the same apply if you bag it and it then goes into landfill?

I believe that most modern landfills are lined as to reduce the potential of 'leachate' entering a potable water supply or watercourse.  Most older landfills are hopefully positioned where the underlying geology isn't sensitive to such nasties.  Put it this way you are greatly increasing the chances of such diseases and bacteria entering a watercourse by leaving poo near a drainage ditch or watercourse then it going to well managed landfill.

Lottie is shy of pooing in public  :005: so her waste gets picked up into biodegradable nappy sacks and into biodegradable bin bags.  Our council owned poo bins often get full very quickly so even though I have one a stones throw away I try not to use it.

I must admit I stick 'n' flick in remote locations away from any obvious drainage routes.

ps - i hate to see hanging poo bags in trees too - people must be well meaning but forgetful!!
Lottie and Astrid

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2008, 05:40:35 PM »
What I'm planning on doing is collecting it all up and burying it under some acid-loving plants, like heather, in the garden. I'm hoping if I bury it deep enough, the smell won't be a problem...
Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2008, 04:00:50 PM »
I put it in a pooh bag and then it goes in the wheelie bin. Presumed that everyone did the same  :embarassed:

...thats what I do  ;)

Me too.  Any one trying to steal my identity would have a shock if they rifled through my bin  :005: :005: :005:

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2008, 04:10:02 PM »
The village society here has advised people that it is more environmentally friendly to leave it if in a field or woods (not on the footpath obviously) as it will decompose naturally as with the poo of wild animals and saves millions of plastic bags of poo going into landfill  :shades: 

Yes I went somewhere last year, can't for the life of me think where, and they have the same policy.

I know that's what they advocate in Windsor Great Park, as long as it is off the footpaths/walkways.
When we walked there last year we saw a pooh bag hung in a hedge -  what was the point :dunno:

It's the same at shows, especially the Champ shows, people get there, exercise the dogs and shove the pooh bag under the car, then later at the end of the day just drive off!   >:(

None of these sound good to me.  Even if its not on the footpath makes no difference to me when walking with my 5 year old son, as he runs around with the dog and neither of them stick to the footpath!.    The number of shoes i have thrown away covered in dog pooh  >:D Its especially toxic to kids and can cause blindness

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2008, 04:18:12 PM »
The village society here has advised people that it is more environmentally friendly to leave it if in a field or woods (not on the footpath obviously) as it will decompose naturally as with the poo of wild animals and saves millions of plastic bags of poo going into landfill  :shades: 

Yes I went somewhere last year, can't for the life of me think where, and they have the same policy.

I know that's what they advocate in Windsor Great Park, as long as it is off the footpaths/walkways.
When we walked there last year we saw a pooh bag hung in a hedge -  what was the point :dunno:

It's the same at shows, especially the Champ shows, people get there, exercise the dogs and shove the pooh bag under the car, then later at the end of the day just drive off!   >:(

None of these sound good to me.  Even if its not on the footpath makes no difference to me when walking with my 5 year old son, as he runs around with the dog and neither of them stick to the footpath!.    The number of shoes i have thrown away covered in dog pooh  >:D Its especially toxic to kids and can cause blindness

I think you may have mis-understood my post. I have always poop scooped and will continue to do so, I was merely pointing out what I had heard and also asking what is the point of bagging the poo and leaving it either hung on a bush or under you car??

And thank you, I have owned dogs for long enough now (since my now 17yr old was four) to know of the diseases canine faeces can cause especially to children.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2008, 06:00:48 PM »

The principle of "stick and flick" is that the poo is flicked into undergrowth/brambles/ditches etc, away from areas that can be accessed by foot traffic of any form;  even the most determined toddler/child is put off by a bramble thicket or nettle bed, which is where I flick poo when I am out walking. 

As a mother of a young child myself, I know how horrid poo-on-the-shoes can be

Dog poo is not toxic as such (although not pleasant), but it can carry eggs of the common roundworm, which if allowed to develop in the faeces for two or three weeks, can in very rare cases causes toxocariasis in humans - no more than two cases per million every year are recorded. One of the reasons it is so rare is because regular worming of pet dogs has become routine, and the climate in the UK rarely allows the eggs to develop in the faeces - it usually washed away by the rain long before the eggs have chance to develop  :-\

There are still very good reasons to worm and clear up after your dog - but the fear of infection/blindness in children is one that needs to be kept in perspective  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »
I put it in a pooh bag and then it goes in the wheelie bin. Presumed that everyone did the same  :embarassed:
Same here.
Amanda, Lennox,Molly,Jasmine,Lotte & Ruby & Doogie xxxx

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2008, 10:27:41 PM »

The principle of "stick and flick" is that the poo is flicked into undergrowth/brambles/ditches etc, away from areas that can be accessed by foot traffic of any form;  even the most determined toddler/child is put off by a bramble thicket or nettle bed, which is where I flick poo when I am out walking. 

As a mother of a young child myself, I know how horrid poo-on-the-shoes can be

Dog poo is not toxic as such (although not pleasant), but it can carry eggs of the common roundworm, which if allowed to develop in the faeces for two or three weeks, can in very rare cases causes toxocariasis in humans - no more than two cases per million every year are recorded. One of the reasons it is so rare is because regular worming of pet dogs has become routine, and the climate in the UK rarely allows the eggs to develop in the faeces - it usually washed away by the rain long before the eggs have chance to develop  :-\

There are still very good reasons to worm and clear up after your dog - but the fear of infection/blindness in children is one that needs to be kept in perspective  ;)

Aaah right must have misunderstood.  agree with michelle though that theres no point in picking it up and leaving it behind in a bag,  Cant help but laugh at the phrase 'stick and flick'  :005: 

Not sure what the guidelines are around here

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »
compost

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
    • espanielcockerspaniels.co.nz
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2008, 05:17:50 AM »
OK to compost but you can't use the compost on the vege garden. 

Worm farms work really well for those with only a few dogs and are a much quicker and economical way of getting rid of the poo without damage to the environment.  Also not as smelly or take as much room as a compost heap.  You can put the vermacasts onto the flower gardens.

You have to have a farm just for the poo and not include other composting items such as veges etc as the worms will prefer them and not compost the poo. 

Also you shouldn't give the worms poo from dogs that have been given worming tablets (kills em).    :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2008, 07:20:27 AM »
Also you shouldn't give the worms poo from dogs that have been given worming tablets (kills em).    :D

Which rules out most pet dogs then - worming of pets really should be carried out regularly in order to protect other dogs in the neighbourhood; especially young puppies, and older or unwell dogs  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2008, 07:24:21 AM »

Which rules out most pet dogs then - worming of pets really should be carried out regularly in order to protect other dogs in the neighbourhood; especially young puppies, and older or unwell dogs  :-\

wonder if it only applies to dogs that have been recently given wormers?  I have a compost bin but its garden compost, i put the contents of the rabbit hutch in there but it says u cant use dog waste

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
    • espanielcockerspaniels.co.nz
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2008, 07:46:56 AM »
Sorry should have added not to give them the poo from dogs that have been wormed for a week after the worming, after that OK to feed the worms again!

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2008, 08:06:19 AM »
Sorry should have added not to give them the poo from dogs that have been wormed for a week after the worming, after that OK to feed the worms again!

Aaah thought so.  What a strang topic we are discussing!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2008, 12:18:08 PM »
Off topic (sorry).....

shaendix, how nice to see you back, you haven't been around for ages have you??  :shades: :D