Author Topic: Cockers and the cold!  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Cockers and the cold!
« on: January 23, 2004, 11:31:26 AM »
Hi all

After watching the predictions for the "big freeze" next week, I was wondering if its worth buying a coat for Indie :?:   I see lots of dogs with coats out and about, but tbh have never noticed a cocker in a coat :roll:  

Is anyone else gonna invest in one for the cold snap?                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 01:40:30 PM »
Indie has one with his name on  :oops:

I bought it from landsend.co.uk, they are great warm coats, and you can have them embroidered.

I like him wearing it because he can shiver after coming from a warm house, bless him. I use it all the time

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 01:47:41 PM »

Offline PennyB

Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 01:55:47 PM »
I don't bother as cockers were meant to be out in all weathers and mine just love it however awful it is. They get a warm shower when they return if they're wet/muddy to wash off all the mud and the house is centrally heated. If they're running around then they shouldn't be cold.

The only time I would consider a coat would be when mine are both old enough for longer walks and we go up into the Brecons. This time though I would consider reflective coats for safety when the weather closes in and it can become darker quickly so I can see them if they are off lead.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 04:34:08 PM »
Cockers are not generally bothered by the cold - they were bred to be outdoors all day in all weathers after all :wink: Ours just love frosty weather & never seem to feel the cold - I'm sure they would stay out all day in it if they could :lol: We have used coats for our OAPs as elderly dogs aren't quite so active but younger Cockers don't need them usually (unless you're heading up into the mountains :))                    
Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 04:42:26 PM »
younger Cockers don't need them usually (unless you're heading up into the mountains :))

I wish I was heading for the mountains :D  all that lovely snow!  

Thanx for all the replies, I will leave it I think, Indie is a bit of a wuss when it comes to rain :roll:  I think it would do her the world of good to harden up a bit :wink:   She is so spoilt with central heating and a nice warm fire to lay beside and even gets under her vetbed at night :lol:   When its raining I literally have to push her out the door :?   Maybe cos she was a summer puppy and only just experiencing the elements :)                    

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 06:18:23 PM »
Alfie loves frosty days and snow, he just throws himself on the floor rubbing himself in the snow and looks so satisfield when hes finished, but Archie just hates it.(a big whimp)                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 06:04:40 PM »
My Bess loves her coat, she always comes & sits for me to put it on her, she's got a green waxed Babour style one.  I never bothered with coats before, but I think with an elderly lady like Bess who doesn't move too fast, it's sensible to give her some protection from the cold wind.  I think I would also put a coat on a puppy, unless you're going for a real romp in the fields when he will keep warm by running. If you're doing dark night "street walks" I think he would benefit from a coat.  

Why don't you check out TRPD on DogPages?  They do all sorts or colours & styles & very reasonably priced & the money goes to benefit various rescue agencies.  

There's also a lady on DogPages who knits jumpers made to measure for dogs.                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 08:22:35 PM »
I haven't got one for Butty, nor do I intend getting one at the moment. I usually have an old towel by the door for after walks if she's wet and give her a good rub down when we come in  :)
I must admit she played outisde for ages last week for the one day we had some snow...LOVED it....chasing snowballs...and when they crashed and dissappeared her face was a picture...she spent 15 minutes looking for one that wasn't even there  :lol:  :lol:  then she found a piece of ice, and ran around the garden for ages waiting for someone to chase her  :roll:  Obviously i was indoors watching through the patio window nice and warm, whilst my 8 year old and Butty were like a couple of frozen icicles  :lol:  :lol:                    

lynseyloo

Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2004, 09:12:49 PM »
Jessie and Poppy have them, matching ones infact.. but as poppys a yorkie she shivers in the cold, whereas Jessie only wears hers in snow or rain.. and even then it she looks like shes getting hot cos of running around I take it off.

Emma,  on Dgopages theyhave regular sales and auctions of coats anddoggy parafanalia ,<sp>.. they are VERY reasonable..i got both the girls for around £13 so I would think you'd get one for about £ 6/7  on there.. if you choce to get one.

edited to say..sorry didn't see the other members recomendation up a bit..  :oops:                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 09:43:06 AM »
One of my lot has a coat. My Emma absolutely hates rain, cold and snow (too bad for her, living in icy finland and all ;) ). Every time we are going for a walk, she goes to the kitchen window and checks the weather. If she thinks the weather is not that nice she refuses to go out. Unless, -I put a coat on her. She is very proud of her coat (well she should be, it's a Burberry  :oops: ) and when she is wearing it, she walks her head high and she really has an attitude ;).
At night Emma also likes to sleep under the covers on my bed.
She's our great diva  :lol:
(you should see her in the showring ;), she just loves it, she practically dances and laughs when she sees me take out the showleads ).                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline PennyB

Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 11:32:17 AM »
Mind you Katina its probably a lot colder over in Finland than it is here in the UK. Have made trips to Norway and the Netherlands in winter over the years and know how cold is cold!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 11:35:10 AM »
Mind you Katina its probably a lot colder over in Finland than it is here in the UK. Have made trips to Norway and the Netherlands in winter over the years and know how cold is cold!

Yes, you're quite right :). At the moment we have loads of snow and it's pretty cold too (And my Emma just hates it  :lol: ).                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 12:35:13 PM »
[ She is very proud of her coat (well she should be, it's a Burberry  :oops: ) [/quote]

How cool is Emma?!  8)   Sounds like a girl after my own heart!!  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Cockers and the cold!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2004, 01:40:13 PM »

How cool is Emma?!  8)   Sounds like a girl after my own heart!!  :)

Maybe you could lend her a matching bag Loraine  :D  :wink: