Author Topic: Affix Confusion  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Affix Confusion
« on: February 02, 2004, 10:37:26 AM »
I'm sorry if I am just about to ask a really dumb question, but I am really confused and thought someone at CockersOnline might be able to help?  

I always thought an affix was allocated to one individual and could be used to identify dogs and puppies owned/bred by that individual.  I always thought that, once allocated, an affix could not then be used by anyone else.  So, I was confused yesterday when I was looking through the Breed Record Supplement (which lists all litters registered  with the Kennel Club for a three month period) to see the same affix was used by 38 apparently different people (different surnames)!!  Sometimes the whole litter was registered using this particular affix and sometimes it was applied to just one or two puppies in a litter.  I couldn't find an occasion where either of the parents had this affix in their registered names.  I am now thoroughly confused (not hard to achieve I admit!)  Is there such a thing as an "all-purpose" affix and why would people want to use this?  Maybe someone out there knows the answer?

Sue (confused AND intrigued!)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Affix Confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 10:55:54 AM »
Did the affix you were looking at have "Ken.." at the beginning by any chance? If so, this is probably the Kennel Club's affix which they add to names where the owner has not bothered to name the pups themselves or where one or more names are not acceptable to the KC & the owner didn't check the box to stop the KC coming up with their own alternative name. This KC affix changes from year to year, so it was "Kenmillone" in 2002, "Kenmillto" in 2003 & I think "Kenmilltri" for 2003. There will probably be fewer of these registrations in future as the KC are about to start charging breeders who don't name their puppies!                    
Jane

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Affix Confusion
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 11:47:18 AM »
I had noticed this myself when the Breed Record Supplement with Misty's entry came through. There were a couple of hundred entries for Kenmilltri Labs alone, never mind all the Cockers and Springers. I meant to ask about it at the time but forgot.

Do these dogs keep this affix forever or can it be changed ? If it's not changed, do they crop up in the show ring under this name ?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Affix Confusion
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 11:02:28 PM »
Do these dogs keep this affix forever or can it be changed ? If it's not changed, do they crop up in the show ring under this name ?

Yes dogs with the KC affix keep it forever, though you could add an affix to the end (if the new owner had an affix) You don't see many KC named dogs in the show ring because most show breeders have their own affix but I have seen a few now & again, specially in breeds like Staffies where there don't seem to be so many owners with their own affixes                    
Jane

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Affix Confusion
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 02:27:06 PM »
Thanks for explaining that, Jane - it now makes sense.  I must admit I had thought it might be something to do with the army (because of the "millitri" ending to the affix) and wondered why there was a need for so many sniffer dogs!!  My imagination can go overboard sometimes.  The real explanation is much simpler!

Colin, I am so pleased that I have managed to ask a question before you did!  Over the months of using CockersOnline as a valuable source of reference, I have been astonished at the number of times you have asked just the question that was puzzling me!  We seem to have similar concerns!

Thanks again,

Sue                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
Affix Confusion
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 10:04:00 AM »

Colin, I am so pleased that I have managed to ask a question before you did!  Over the months of using CockersOnline as a valuable source of reference, I have been astonished at the number of times you have asked just the question that was puzzling me!  We seem to have similar concerns!

Sue..... you weren't about to post "Why does my Cocker think it's a banana" were you ? It would be a real coincidence if you weren't  ....... because I wasn't either. :lol:                    

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Affix Confusion
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 02:03:47 PM »
Strangely enough, I wasn't!  Funny that?

Sue                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Affix Confusion
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 01:21:48 AM »

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Affix Confusion
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 10:01:31 PM »
Ya daft brushes  :P  

Completely out of context i know, but where does this saying come from  :?:  As i must say i don't think i've ever seen a brush thats daft before :wink:

Torie X                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
Affix Confusion
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 11:25:07 PM »
Strangely enough I heard an explanation of this on the radio recently. I wasn't paying complete attention but it was something to do with chimney sweeps falling down chimneys and bumping their heads and going doolally.  :lol:

They also explained "mad as a hatter" as being from hat makers brushing mercury into fur to soften it up for their hats. This resulted in brain damage from mercury poisoning. :shock: