Author Topic: walking on double leads  (Read 1406 times)

Offline ladywales

• Site Member
walking on double leads
« on: February 02, 2004, 03:27:36 PM »
Hi everyone
I haven't posted here much at all but always read the forums with much interest. :)
I have a 3 year old black cocker Bobby and have just taken on a 1 year blue roan cocker called Starr.  She is a lovely little girl who has never lived in a house before but is the most lovely nature you canimagine and the two of them are getting to know each other well and so far no real problems!!  :o
I would just like some advise on which would be the best way to start taking them out for their walks together.  I know there are double leads to be had but would you recommend these or would it be better to walk them separately?? :?
I am new to having two dogs at once, but also didn't realise how much fun it can be too!! :)
Look forward to your replies
thanks Tracy                    
Tracy x

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
walking on double leads
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 10:02:51 PM »
I have tried the double leads, or couplers, but I find using two separate leads much easier.
This way you can adjust each dog according to how much he/she does or doesn't pull ahead. - If you see what I mean ?                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline PennyB

walking on double leads
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 12:04:35 AM »
I got the impression from my dog trainer that couplers or double leads are OK if your dogs walk quite well. I've decided to walk mine on separate leads as they sometimes need to be walked on very narrow pavements (and I mean narrow) where one dog goes in front and the other behind. It also helps while trying to get both of them to walk to heel if I use 2 leads (my trainer walks 4 gsds on separate leads to heel!).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
walking on double leads
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 01:24:38 AM »
Hi Tracy

Congratulations on your new addition. :D

I do have a coupler which I've used a few times with Jimmy and Misty but generally find two separate leads easier and more adaptable. The coupler is useful if you need a hand free for carrying something or if you are walking with a group of people ........ with just the one lead it reduces the chances of everyone getting all tangled up at once. I do like the look of the two dogs trotting along side by side with the coupler though and they do seem to attract more oohs and aahs from people than when on separate leads. :lol:

The drawbacks I've found with the coupler are mainly to do with toileting. Whereas Jimmy tends to wait patiently for Misty to do her business, she has the uncanny knack of pulling him in the opposite direction at the exact point he goes to cock his leg. :lol: She has also had the misfortune to have him accidentally wee on her head a couple of times too. :roll: There is the problem of pulling as well, if one is pulling and the other isn't, it makes it harder to correct the offender without also punishing the one that is behaving. ( I've got one that will pull to the park and one that will pull on the way back :roll: )

I think couplers are only about £4 so it might be worth investing in one just to make your own comparison. Even if you find it doesn't suit you, like me you may find good use for it on the odd occassion. :)                    

Offline ladywales

• Site Member
walking on double leads
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 02:39:45 PM »
Thanks for your replies. :)  Like you said Colin it may be worth buying one just to test it out, although I can see how there may be problems to overcome with them too!  :roll:
Bobby does tend to pull like a train to start with so poor Starr would be pulled along for the ride I think!! :shock:
Will try with separate leads to start and then go from there. :)
Can I just say that some of the stories and comments on here bring a smile to my face as they are so typical of Bobby and Starr's antics!! :roll:
Wouldn't swap them for the world would we??                    
Tracy x