Author Topic: Hair loss After Season  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Hair loss After Season
« on: February 08, 2004, 10:36:52 PM »
Butty had her 1st season on the 22nd October 2003, which lasted the usual 3 weeks approx. I know that bitches drop coat after a season but I was wondering how long this goes on for roughly??? or does it differ from dog to dog  :?:  It has only been about the last 3 weeks that I have noticed that she has dropped alot of her undercarriage and I bathed her this afternoon and when I dried her tummy I was quite gobsmacked by actually how much hair she seems to have lost  :?  What is strange is that what is growing back seems to be the chocolate hair.....in fact on her belly she looks like a Tiger  :shock:  with what appears to be stripes of dark hair coming through in small tufts. Has anyone else noticed a difference in coat colour after a bitch has had her season?? and is there anything I can give her to promote a healthy coat to come back in???

Gilly & Baldy ( I mean Butty  :lol: )                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Hair loss After Season
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 09:21:59 AM »
Poor Butty :( It took her so long to get her feathering and coat. I hope it grows back soon. I'm sure Jane will have some advice for you.

Phoebe has offered some of her coat if Butty feels the cold this week (we might have to dye it a bit though!).                    
Anita

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Hair loss After Season
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 06:03:50 PM »
Hi Gilly,

It's strange because we never noticed how much fur Millie had lost on her belly until she had a bath or rolled over for a tummy tickle. She didn't lose as much as I expected, but her belly was definitely more visible.

Since then it grown back and is even silkier then before. She's also become kinda paler all over, with her black patches being more prominent then before, similiar to how she was when I had first finished strippping her after her puppy coat came out.

I can't remember exactly how long it was before it started growing back, but when it started it didn't seem to take long to kinda spread across her belly, but its taken longer to get longer - if you understand what I mean.

A a rough estimate I would say that its probably taken a couple of months to grow back to the stage its in now - and she's still 'missing' feathering on her hind legs.

When she was in season I gave her Biotin (made by N.A.F Horse feed supplements) and Sepia 30cc homeopathic remedy.
I don't know how helpful these were to her, but I kinda 'felt better' by giving them her. I have carried on with the Sepia 30 as well as it seemed to relax her, and stop her being quite so hyper  :roll:
And the only reason I stopped with the Biotin is that we stopped feeding her meat and so had nothing to mix it in with (as its a grassy looking powder).

HTH

Kel                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
    • espanielcockerspaniels.co.nz
Hair loss After Season
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 09:34:39 AM »
Hi Gilly - yes I too have used Sepia 30c with some pretty good results.  Certainly seems to help reduce the coat loss but they still lose some. :)