Author Topic: Noses  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Noses
« on: February 11, 2004, 09:41:54 PM »
I am sure this was on the old thread, but I have forgotten the answer and its something mum asked me today :?

Why do cockers have dry noses?  My mums lab always has a freezing cold wet nose, but Indies nose has never been wet :roll:  Just wondered why this is the case with cockers? Or is there sommat wrong with Indie?

Thanx                    

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Noses
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 09:58:01 PM »
Hi,
Tia has a wet nose on one side, and dry on the other as one of her eyes produces tears and the other doesn't. The cocker I looked after in the summer was the same, but had nothing wrong with her eyes.
That's no help I know.......
Cheers,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Noses
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 09:58:55 PM »
I've found it depends with Butty....sometimes it really cold and damp and other times it's dry  :roll:  not much help am I  :lol:                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Noses
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 10:19:03 PM »
Hi,
Tia has a wet nose on one side, and dry on the other as one of her eyes produces tears and the other doesn't. The cocker I looked after in the summer was the same, but had nothing wrong with her eyes.
That's no help I know.......
Cheers,

This is interesting  :wink:  .  Mary, which side is dry?  Is it the side that doesn't produce tears?  Morgan often has a dry nose and I suspect that he may have a problem with his tear ducts (not based on the dry nose, obviously)  - seeing vet on Friday to check it out as he has conjunctivitis for the second time in 4 weeks.  Hope you don't mind me asking but what treatment does Tia get for her eyes?                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Noses
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 10:26:47 PM »
Daisy's nose always seems to be exceedingly wet - especially when she decides to stick it in my ear  :roll:                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Noses
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 11:14:41 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Mike - you made me laugh at loud with your post, 'cos thats the only time Millie's nose seems to be wet as well!

Her nose is usually dry, but cold. Occasionally its dry and warm.
When she's just come in from a walk or the garden it' always cold and wet though.

When she was little I worried, but as a kid I was always taught that dog's noses should be wet and cold or there's something wrong with them  :shock: Personally I think it just depends on how hot they are ... for instance if the heating's on, i tend to notice that her nose can be warm and dry, and usually she's looking for a cool spot in the hall to lie in :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Noses
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 12:02:00 AM »

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Noses
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 01:12:19 AM »
Hi Shirley,
I must say to start that you have such a beautiful little dog!!!
Tia had a chronic problem when we adopted her 2 months ago. She has dry eye or KCS which means that the tear duct in her 3rd eyelid has packed up. Hence no lubrication but also no natural antibiotic fluid (dogs always put their faces in such unsavourly places!!!).
It was spotted in her 'good' eye just after we got her, and so the poor thing has lots of meds all day every day in both eyes.
Cyclosporine is to kick start the duct into production again, Hypromellose is to lubricate and Lacri-lube lubricates overnight. Each a different dose.
Her good eye, I think, is working well now and that is the wet side, but the other eye is still awful, constantly has gunk in it and needs antibiotic cream often.
If the problem is caught and treated in time, there is no lasting problem I've been told, so let's hope it's not KCS that Morgan has, or that it's been caught in time.
Best of luck!                    
Mary P

Thanks!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Noses
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 07:48:12 AM »
Both Vegas and Dallas have wet noses all the time but Brooks is always dry.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Noses
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 08:39:29 AM »
I asked my vet this question as Blues nose seemed to be dry one day then wet the other, :roll:   and was told that there was nothing to worry about. :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Noses
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 12:26:16 PM »
Maybe it is a cocker thing - Boysie's nose is always wet at the bottom, and dry at the top , and I thought it was a sign of ill health until the vet reassured me.                    

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Noses
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 01:36:20 AM »
Hi Shirley,
I have tried to PM you twice, but it says they are in my outbox, not sent box. I hope you get them before you go to the vet!                    
Mary P

Thanks!

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Noses
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2004, 09:41:56 AM »
Hi Mary

Got them  :D  Thanks.  The way you described putting the drops in was what I've been trying to do but he backs away with as much force as he can.  We've even tried wrapping a towel round him to stop him escaping but this didn't work  :?  :x .  Will let you know how it goes at the vet today.  Thanks again

Shirley :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Noses
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2004, 07:36:44 PM »
:? Hmmm I am no clearer really, I honestly thought it was a cocker thing :roll:   Indie has always had a dry nose, maybe I should take her the vets to check?  :?                    

Offline niv

• Site Member
Noses
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2004, 09:43:50 PM »
my old dog jamie always had a dry nose looked as if he had three days worth of food on it ugh. or it was chapped ,no that still dont answer your question  niv