Author Topic: working/show cockers  (Read 10095 times)

Offline anita96

• Site Member
Re: working/show cockers
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »
I believe the parkbeck lines tend to throw larger workers, mocha is one of the larger workers, don't tell him but I prefer the smaller pocket rockets  ph34r

imagine the look on my face when someone after watching Indi jumping around and dancing about, came over to me and suggested with all her energy I should be doing dog dancing (freestyle)  >:( ::) not my gundog, me in my wellies and usually muddy  from trying to get her out of the dam,  not really, let me think a minute NO >:D

Nothing wrong with dog dancing, don't tell anyone at the gundog club but I take mocha dancing, its great fun for working on focus with other dogs around, mocha can to great spins, walk backwards to the scissor sisters and his heelwork and focus on me has improved no end.  I don't think we will ever get him in a top hat and tails and he does get a bit sick of being bashed in the face by the other dogs tails when we do and moving star, but he loves it and his tail doesn't stop wagging, for the winter months its been fantastic.  I have to be careful what commands I use for instand I use the command 'reverse' for walking backwards because the last thing I need if I am out on a shoot and shout 'back' and he walks backwards for the retrieve  :005:
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Cazzie

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2008, 02:12:20 PM »
I believe the parkbeck lines tend to throw larger workers, mocha is one of the larger workers, don't tell him but I prefer the smaller pocket rockets  ph34r

imagine the look on my face when someone after watching Indi jumping around and dancing about, came over to me and suggested with all her energy I should be doing dog dancing (freestyle)  >:( ::) not my gundog, me in my wellies and usually muddy  from trying to get her out of the dam,  not really, let me think a minute NO >:D

Nothing wrong with dog dancing, don't tell anyone at the gundog club but I take mocha dancing, its great fun for working on focus with other dogs around, mocha can to great spins, walk backwards to the scissor sisters and his heelwork and focus on me has improved no end.  I don't think we will ever get him in a top hat and tails and he does get a bit sick of being bashed in the face by the other dogs tails when we do and moving star, but he loves it and his tail doesn't stop wagging, for the winter months its been fantastic.  I have to be careful what commands I use for instand I use the command 'reverse' for walking backwards because the last thing I need if I am out on a shoot and shout 'back' and he walks backwards for the retrieve  :005:

Yip a house load of dancers here too  :005: :005:

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2008, 02:31:14 PM »
I've been trying to decide recently if Bracken looks more like a working cocker or a show cocker  :huh: 

I know she has a shorter/thinner coat with limited feathering but I'm not sure other than that. May go and use this as an excuse to peruse the appropriate photo sections...

In a recent photo comp I entered her in a springer owner thought she was a springer pup, due to her colouring she was often mistaken as a springer when she was younger. I don't think I've seen many liver or chocolate roan workers on here... apart from Billy the new boy.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Cazzie

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2008, 02:32:39 PM »
Found this so hope its ok to post  :D Seen as I AM NOT AN EXPERT nor claim to be  :005:

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/breedstandard.htm

With all of that, Sweepie is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the breed standard  :005:  :luv:

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2008, 02:34:52 PM »
And just to realy confuse things I work Baggins and he's a show cocker :lol:

Cazzie

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2008, 02:35:45 PM »

:shades: I bet he is great  :shades: :luv:

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2008, 02:40:07 PM »
I saw a lady work an American cocker, she was so lovely and brought the dummies back with such class  :D  I was at training last month and in the retriever class there was a guy working a doberman, it was so graceful when retrieving, I didn't see any of the labs running in on the dobermans retrieve  :005:

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2008, 02:45:36 PM »
He'sthe only one that just curls up and sleeps at my feet between shooting. Looks at the other workers doing the zebadee act and gives them the "foolish dogs" look and goes to sleep. He is a very good flushing dog with a really good nose for woodcock.Brings most things back but steels the odd rabbit.

"Kos dey is my favrit" says Baggins.

Just getting him properly whistle trained. Field trial champ he will never be, but it just goes to show that even with the "split" in the breed the show cockers still have a good hunting instinct.

Cazzie

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »
show cockers still have a good hunting instinct.

Better believe it  :005: I look after a few  :005: :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »
Ah I see, I didnt know working cockers were shown  :-\ :D

that was just as an example Dunbarney...that's why I said 'if'.....

maybe this explains it better.....

IF Jarv and Rodaidh WERE to be entered into a show where they were the only participants in a group, Jarv's appearance conforms more to the current cocker spaniel breed standard than Rodaidh does....

Jane said above you can show working cockers, it's just that they don't usually conform to the breed standard so it's pointless really.
helen & jarvis x

Cazzie

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2008, 03:15:27 PM »
Ah I see, I didnt know working cockers were shown  :-\ :D

that was just as an example Dunbarney...that's why I said 'if'.....

maybe this explains it better.....

IF Jarv and Rodaidh WERE to be entered into a show where they were the only participants in a group, Jarv's appearance conforms more to the current cocker spaniel breed standard than Rodaidh does....

Jane said above you can show working cockers, it's just that they don't usually conform to the breed standard so it's pointless really.

Thanks for that Helen, Im understanding now  ::) I did not have a scooby that workers could be shown along side the show type of the breed  ph34r Clear as a daisy now though  :005:

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2008, 04:56:04 PM »
When We booked Molly the breeder that was advertising said in the advert Cocker spaniels which she is but failed to mention she was of working strain, I asked on the phone if she could be shown and he said Yes. I did like the breeder and his set up and I was very impressed on the health and look of the litter I asked about testing and was told that the strain she was from were ok and didn’t need it. At home I looked at Molly and thought not sure about you but as she was only 7 weeks old I didn’t know any different, as I’d had am. Cockers before I knew the head would not be so domed and the muzzle not so chunky and not as much coat. I wasn’t disappointed as I didn’t intend to show her but before buying her my pref was for a B/W cocker that may be shown if I wanted, Molly’s breeder said she was B/W too,
The trouble is that with even show types you can get dogs not conforming to the breed standard (otherwise they’d all be champions) and with Molly’s mum I just assumed that she was one of those, but a good brood bitch, a cocker all the same and being naïve not knowing there were two types anyway. His dogs were to me just shorter coated with more muscle and as he told us he entered field trials with them and took them shooting I naively thought that’s why they appeared like that.  ::)

I wonder if it’s snobbery on working line breeders that think the worker is what a cocker should be and the fancy show type is just that and that the cocker should never have been split in the first place. If that’s the case perhaps that’s why a lot will not change their methods and are not informing people of the two types.  :-\

I quite like the idea of two strains but (just my opinion though) I also think you should have some conformity in the workers too after all they are cocker spaniels,and as with the show, I think the height should confirm to the same standard and also temperament, you’d lose it on head shape, ear set and coat though and as with show kennels each tend to have a slightly different look and it’s lovely that people can recognise other lines from the look of the dog so the same would be for the working lines.

Having both show and worker I’ve found Molly is a much quicker thinker than George but their temperament is the same both very biddable they both have the same needs and stimulation although Molly is ready to up and go again and again, but only when we are ready to.

I like both and I certainly would have another working cocker :blink: and I hope breeders will start to regularly test their working lines for the future good health of the breed.
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »

There are a few people on here who work show type cockers, Katina is one who springs to mind, as Helen already said in some European countries they have to prove they can work in the field as well as be successful in the show ring in order to gain champion status.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2008, 06:42:07 PM »

Just as pointless as it would be for me to enter my Show cocker, which is what she was bred and bought for and she went to ringcraft for a while as a puppy  :005: She is several inches and several kg below breed standard height, so I would have a snowball chance in hell of being placed at local open shows and certainly wouldn't be taken seriously in Champ shows  ph34r She is still a cocker spaniel, though  :005:

The line that Bonnee and Molo come from have a well-deserved reputation for being "gobby", and that is as much a result of their selective breeding as the keen working traits of selectively bred working lines are.....I certainly consider my two to be cocker spaniels, and so are working cockers imo, they just have a different set of skills (and are a lot quieter)  ;)

The important thing is that people who are looking for a cocker spaniel find about about the lines of the dog they are considering before they commit, then they will be able to prepare for the likely traits and needs that their dog will have  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2008, 07:09:56 PM »

[/quote]
The important thing is that people who are looking for a cocker spaniel find about about the lines of the dog they are considering before they commit, then they will be able to prepare for the likely traits and needs that their dog will have  ;)
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more spot on Rachel, I think the onus is on us as consumers to take the breeders to task and any good breeder will be more than happy to answer as many questions you like, about what strain you are buying.