Author Topic: dodgy breeders  (Read 1504 times)

ziggy

dodgy breeders
« on: March 12, 2004, 11:59:26 PM »
me again,i bought jasper from a breeder 2 yrs ago,i was more than happy with him and agreed the requested fee,(papers were also included apparently)however 2yrs down the line i have still not recieved the papers,,,after numerous unfriendly eventually phone calls ,,still no sign of the papers,,don,t get me wrong i don,t care about them,it,s the principle of these people breeding more puppies than they are allowed to for the sake of their bank balance,and getting away with it,,i have no regrets that i have my gorgeous boy,but am angry that these people get away with the puppy trade as it were,has any one else come across this problem,of no papers because breeders can,t register them for fear of being investigated.i also am aware that we fuel their trade by buying the puppy,,but you just want to get the puppy and run away from these greedy bloaters.. :evil:                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
dodgy breeders
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 09:50:40 AM »
"Dodgy" breeders thrive because there will always be buyers for their puppies - it's a case of supply & demand. If people only bought from reputable breeders, then these less reputable breeders would go out of business but sadly that's not the way it works for a number of reasons. Sites such as this one do their best to inform people how to go about finding a reputable breeder (see our FAQ section) and the doggy magazines do the same thing but still people will buy from dubious sources.

As far as not getting papers, this is a common problem sadly. If the puppy was advertised as KC registered and you still have the advert, then you could pursue the matter with Trading Standards. Ideally you should have a receipt for your dog which states that KC reg papers will follow - this is something all buyers should ask for if papers are not available at the time the puppy is collected (good breeders would do this without having to be asked). If the breeder is a member of a breed club, such as The Cocker Spaniel Club, then you could complain to the Club as failing to supply registration documents when promised would be a breach of most Clubs' Codes of Ethics. Sometimes puppies are not registered because of the reasons you state but more often than not it comes down to plain economics - puppies cost £12 each to register with the KC so breeders who are producing pups for profit may simply not bother!                    
Jane

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
dodgy breeders
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 10:13:40 AM »
I'm interested to hear what the breeder has said during the phonecalls to you as to why the pups havent yet been registered?                    

ziggy

dodgy breeders
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 09:42:26 PM »
she just said that they were on the way,and could she have the address again,i had since spoken to other breeders who gave me contact numbers to report her ..so i did ,eventually the breeders husband answered the phone and gave excuses that she wasn,t available at that time to talk,(yeah right) and so forth,i am still mad with her,but have still got the number so i think i will have another go and catch her unawares,think a visit would be a good idea,in the nicest possible way :wink:                    

ziggy

dodgy breeders
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 09:46:48 PM »
thats a good point jane cheers ,i do have the reciept still promising papers,will follow that up,thanx again  :wink:                    

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
dodgy breeders
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 02:13:02 PM »
We had the same problem. Although we had purchased our puppy from a retail outlet totally unaware (until recently) that these places were dodgy. We had never heard of puppy farming etc. We wrote a letter to the place where we purchased our puppy from (sent it recorded delivery) saying that we wanted the paperwork within 14 days or we would go to small claims court, we involved trading standards. Thankfully we received our KC paperwork but so many breeders try this on and get away with it. I think you should try this.If you dont receve any paperwork contact trading standards. You need to contact the trading standards which cover the area where you bought your puppy from not   the area in which you live.                    

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
dodgy breeders
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 03:16:35 PM »
You could contact the breeder again & ask for the parents reg numbers, if there are none then there is no way you can register the pup, but if you manage to get them, you can phone te KC & find out if the pups were ever registered.                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

ziggy

dodgy breeders
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 10:44:07 PM »
good for you,i think you have to be strict in these matters,should have done that myself,,getting the parents reg no.is a good idea kim,although i would imagine the pups had not been registered,well i will certainly get my teeth into in more now cheers :wink:  :evil: