Author Topic: Working Cockers - Mad?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline workingcockerfan

Working Cockers - Mad?
« on: June 02, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »
Hi everyone.

I have admired working cockers for a long time now. I've just started doing some proper research, for hopefully a puppy in the next few years.

The main question I want to ask is, are working cockers mad?! :lol: If everything goes to plan this little puppy would have agility and obedience training in it's future, so wouldn't be without stimulation. Just I've talked to a few people recently and they say they wouldn't own a worker because they're totally mad!  :-\

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I know they're obviously energetic, but is mad a good description?

Cazzie

Re: Working Cockers - Mad?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 02:02:30 PM »
Hi there  :blink: No working cockers arnt mad, just their owners  :lol2:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 02:19:45 PM »
Hi there  :blink: No working cockers arnt mad, just their owners  :lol2:

Have to agree with this - and i'm doubly mad as i have two of them  :005:

Offline angelbaby

• Site Member
  • My love, my life, my cocker spaniel
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:28:24 PM »
working cockers are not mad  ::), full of energy, happy, funny little dogs is a better description!!! I have a 14 month worker and sometimes hes loopy and sometimes hes very chilled out, he can go on all day  at full steam with me if needs be but can be  just as happy curled up on the sofa next to me. hes the perfect doggie  :luv:
My little angel, sent to me in my time of need, i love you with every piece of my broken heart xx
My beautiful boy xx

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 02:30:13 PM »
You could call them mad, but there's a fine line between mad and genius  :D

Worinking cockers are bread to work. That means they want to be on the go, to hunt, or find, or stalk or retrieve but mostly they want to be out and about or on their toes, thier brains ticking over. It's like people, some like to relax, some need to be doing something, working cockers need to be doing something. This is all generalisation, some are quieter, some are more 'go' but they all need stimulation. Like kids, if they don't have the stimulation they get bored and find things to do which can range from playing with toys to tearing around/up the house. Often a 'mad' misbehaving working cocker will be that way because it has excess energy, if you give it enough to do it shouldn't need to misbehave, it just needs to direct it's energies in the right way.

Obedience and agility sounds fab but it needs to be more than a couple of hours on a Monday night while cooped up the rest of the time. If you have an active lifestyle it should be enough but they certainly aren't lazy or lap dogs that will potter about contentedly. Think a couple of hours exercise as day absolute minimum IMO

Good luck
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 02:36:13 PM »

I would never describe my two 8 month old worker brothers as mad.....even though we have double trouble now and then  >:D
They do as others have said have natural energy and mischief bred in them but they are also gentle devoted loving dogs. We have had two "show type" cocker's before and there is a difference but both types have a lovely nature....definitely not mad .
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 02:53:50 PM »
Bonnie boo is a bit loopy but i wouldnt have her any other way.after a hour plus walk across the fields or a ball chasing trip there is nothing nicer than to come home have a cup of tea and settle down for a while with her cuddling.I dont think i have ever come across a more loving dog (except when she is wet ,then its a mad run round trying to get dry)
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »

It depends what your definition of mad is. Cockers of both strains are little dogs with big personalities, if they are 'mad' I'd say it was in an endearing way. They aren't remote controlled automatons that's for sure. Thankfully.  :lol2:

Offline 175brown

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 03:02:50 PM »
hi
welcome :D
iv have a 9mth working cocker, i choose the breed because i wanted a happy, lively, intelligent medium sized dog i got just what i wonted :005: i have to say he has been quite a challenge and takes up most of my life we have had many days when he has reduced me to tears but this would have happened with any pup.
If you could cope with a sock eating, furniture chewing, fox pooh rolling bundle of energy a working cocker is for you :005:
wendy and nero

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 03:17:08 PM »
barkley (a 2 1/2 year old worker) is not what i would describe as mad- he gets excited when people come to the house and occasionally runs around in long grass like a loon, but he and i have just been on a walk with a jack russell terrier and a shitzu/westie cross and whilst those two charged about all over the place, barkley pottered along the path, sniffing about quite calmly. he far prefers people to dogs and generally can be found sat on someone's feet looking for a cuddle whilst the other dogs zoom about.

he has high energy requirements in the sense that he needs three walks a day, but if he misses out on his usual amount of exercise for some reason, he responds by being unable to settle and looking round the house for things to chew up into lots of tiny pieces. don't think i'd classify that as madness either...  :huh:
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 04:09:05 PM »
all cockers are mad!!  :005:

I have a show type and she is very friendly if a little misguided and her way of playing with other dogs is to run round them in circles very fast jumping on them if they look friendly! If its a bigger dog and she is a bit scared she runs around them in circles very fast!!!!

other owners often say to me 'ooh she is crazy'!! but she is just friendly and loves to play!

I have met a few working cockers on walks and they seemed much less 'mad' than mine!!

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 04:41:54 PM »
I have called Murphy (5yr old worker) mad on many occasions!  TBH though I wouldn't have him any other way! 

He is for me the IDEAL dog, he loves everything, was a doddle to train, and goes from action man to cuddle monster in a second  :luv:

He does need alot of exercise, if I'm 5 minutes later than normal to take him out he turns into a right fidgey bum!

Oh - and Maddi (1yr show) is just as mad in different ways!

Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 05:01:29 PM »
mine is
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 05:52:54 PM »
People who like calm breeds (aka lap dogs) are bound to think workers are a bit loopy but to me they are just very fun active dogs who are great to train, always enthusiastic about life and there is no other dog I'd rather have (well apart from lurchers ;))

If you have an active lifestyle and can provide plenty physical and mental stimulation then you'll cope fine with a worker. Come along to a local COL meet up and you'll soon how fantastic they are  :D

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »
Working Cockers - Mad - Surely Not  :005:

I think mad is the wrong word, 
Big personality(yes)
Full of energy (yes), 
A zest for life (yes)
Constant wagging tail (yes)
Inquisitive (yes)
Full of fun (yes),
Hillariously funny (yes)
Highly intelligent (hmm YES),
Loving and faithfull (yes),
Entertaining (yes)
Family dog (yes)
Eyes you would do anything for (yes)
Always always pleased to see you (yes) even when youve taken them to be spayed  :'( 
Cocker kisses and hugs (always)
Hard work (arent all dogs at times)

wouldnt have my Cocker any other way  :luv:

Now you know you want one, Lucy is going cheap  :005: :005:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World