Author Topic: Working Cockers - Mad?  (Read 1875 times)

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
Re: Working Cockers - Mad?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 07:03:48 PM »
I have a worker and a show type.  And they both do well with the same level of activity.  The worker is absolutely more energetic than the show type, BUT this is mostly evident in how excited he gets at people fussing him.  They are wonderful little dogs with huge personalities.  Only marginally more manic than a show.  However this really depends on the individual dog whether you go for a show or a worker.

I love them both  ALL dogs are hard work but these are so worth it!

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 02:06:32 PM »
My worker is bonkers!  :luv: Everyday he makes me laugh out loud! He certainly has alot of energy but he is very good at home. He was easy to teach the basics (ie house trained within a week, no wee wee carpets here thank you!) HOWEVER he is the most stubborn little blighter ever. He is very independent and strong willed and if he doesnt want to come back on a walk then I'm in trouble (we are working on it...) but at the same time he is sooo much fun to be around. I wouldn't swap him for the world.
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 02:14:42 PM »
Louie is only 1/4 worker but his genetic make-up still drives him to be flushing the whole time on a walk, he's mad as a hatter when out but at home loves to cuddle up.

Heidi is all show type but she can give him a run for his money any day and is as loopy as Lou, she is the least likely to just lie down and sleep.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i180/jaspersmum/COL%20meets/IMG_0167.jpg

Jasper is show type and my steady teddy  :angel:

So agree with the others really - both types can be mad but not half as mad as the owners  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline workingcockerfan

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 07:25:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, to be honest they sound like my kind of dog!  :D

HOWEVER he is the most stubborn little blighter ever. He is very independent and strong willed and if he doesnt want to come back on a walk then I'm in trouble (we are working on it...) but at the same time he is sooo much fun to be around.

Would you say this was typical of working cockers?

Offline angelbaby

• Site Member
  • My love, my life, my cocker spaniel
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 07:35:41 PM »
Not sure for def but Quincy's not stubborn, has selective hearing sometimes mind?  but ive found him very eager to please, train and control.
My little angel, sent to me in my time of need, i love you with every piece of my broken heart xx
My beautiful boy xx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 08:00:29 PM »
Think it seems to be the general opinion, that you get out of both workers and show type what you are prepared to put in, (as with most dogs). There are exceptions to the rule of course, always will be. Also obvious from the answers is, 'mad' or not, their owners - me included - would not have them any other way :angel: ;) hope this helps you
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 08:30:40 AM »
I wouldn't say stubborness is typical of working cockers, I think its down to the personality of the individuals. Selective deafness is probably typical though  :lol:

Milo has always been very strong willed even from a pup, but we work with it. You get to know your dog and you learn what works and what doesn't. I am under no illusion, Milo has been really hard work in ways my previous dogs havent but then he has been really easy in ways they weren't ie house training, walking on lead, learning commands in a nano-second. Its all swings and roundabouts I think.

Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 08:46:49 AM »
I have 3! and am not finished yet!
energetic yes.. mad no.
 depends on the line they come from too. some workers are a bit more driven than others.
 my lot have a switch I swear between indoors and in garden to going out on the hill. laid back and asleep most of the time when Im busy yet when out non stop.
 my one tip would be never let them chase rabbits or birds as a pup. as its almost impossible to break the habit as its so rewarding for them. get them to chase tennis balls intead.

Offline screamingswifts

• Limited Member
  • Fargo the Scruff Butt
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 01:31:43 PM »
My boy (2yrs old) sound like Jeans lot, when he's out at the beach or park it's non-stop, but when indoors he's so laid back and always has been since a pup  :D He does have his 'contrary little s*d' moments - but thats part of his charm :luv:

Offline angelbaby

• Site Member
  • My love, my life, my cocker spaniel
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »
My boy (2yrs old) sound like Jeans lot, when he's out at the beach or park it's non-stop, but when indoors he's so laid back and always has been since a pup  :D He does have his 'contrary little s*d' moments - but thats part of his charm :luv:

sounds like my boy x
My little angel, sent to me in my time of need, i love you with every piece of my broken heart xx
My beautiful boy xx