Author Topic: Im taking Charleys breeder to court  (Read 8090 times)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
Im taking Charleys breeder to court
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:41:49 AM »
After been given advice and after thinking long and hard i have decided to take the breeder of Charley to court. Im just writing a 14 day notice to the breeder, which informs her that we are planning on taking her to court and why.  If anyone with any advice or information on matters like this can give me any i would be really grateful. If anyone would like to read the letter to get an idea of what or why can PM me and i will send it them. Hope you all understand why im doing this?

Thanks Maria

REUBY DOOO!

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
Re: Im taking Charleys breeder to court
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:58:17 AM »
Good luck at court and keep us posted on how you getting on
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:09:06 PM »
Good Luck Maria,

Still thinking of you. x
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:10:20 PM »
maria, I really can understand why you are doing this, I can honestly say that I would do the same. I know it must still feel so raw everything that happened but even with a clear head I think you need to do this for charleys sake and the sake of future puppy owners from this breeder dont you.
Keep us up to date with how it goes and sending luck and more hugs! ((( :-*)))
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 12:13:35 PM »
I understand completly why you are.  :-*

It is awful what you are going through right now,  :'( I do hope it is resolved soon in a satisfactory way for you and other prospective puppy owners.  :blink:

I hope you are ok  :-* and good luck.  :luv:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:24:21 PM »
If i dont get anywhere, it may JUST make her think to do things a little better next time! Hopefully i can cause enough trouble to put her off breeding for life!?

Anyway i have the letter, im just waiting for some legal advice, then off to the post box it goes. I wont lie i am desperately scared, im not a confrontational person, but i know i cant leave this how it is.

Thanks for understanding

Maria

REUBY DOOO!

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »
Good luck Maria, just think you're not just doing it just for Charley, but all the rest of the poor pups bred by breeders like Charley's. i do hope you are successful, let us know  :luv:

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx

George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 12:34:37 PM »
Oh Maria, I've not been online much recently and only just read about what happened to you and little Charlie  :'( I'm so sorry.

Lots of luck with what you're doing, as others have said it's not just about Charlie it's about ethical and sensible breeding too so good luck with that - we're all with you.

Take care and keep us posted

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 12:47:28 PM »
Good Luck with it Maria - keep us updated.

Thinking of you x
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »
Thinking of you too xx Stay brave xx

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
Good luck with this, I haven't read all of your posts. But know this isn't something you would choose to do lightly.

Perhaps try and see if you can get some local publicity with this to highlight the importance of choosing a good breeder when you get a pup.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 01:23:09 PM »
Iv thought of that, the only thing is libel and things like that - i would want to risk anything.  If i win then i will definitely get the local papers involved etc (my mum works for them)

REUBY DOOO!

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 01:34:48 PM »

I really dont blame you for doing this..i would do exactly the same...will you vet help at all by preparing a report of what he has treated him for etc...my vet was very helpful when my cat nearly died due to Bob Martins worming capsules...he sent a report of to them which helped alot with getting our £600.00 vet bill back
the very best of luck...keep us informed..the breeder wants lynching IMO  >:(

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »
I hope that you get somewhere with this Maria, you are doing the right thing.

I too can understand why you would, and you are going about it the right way by taking advice and dealing with it through the courts first before involving any papers etc.  Asking the vet is a good idea as bibathe diva suggested - I am sure he would be very happy to help put a stop to such poor practices too.

Good luck, I will be interested in seeing how it works out.

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »
I am scared because although the vet said he was suffering with something in his brain, we couldnt have a scan or further tests done, the vet was treating him for the things he thought it could be. So this is the reason the breeder doesnt seem to think she has any responsibility.  Like iv said in a way i take that on board, BUT she has been unable to prove to me that he want born this way, we have to pay out £1000+ with a good chance the problem was there before we got him were she is sat pretty with £2-3000 in her bank account? After no outlay whatsoever.  As well as that - the solicitor said that misrepresented us with the age of the dog, as she led us to believe he was a 8 week old puppy, only giving us his papers once we'd paid for him that revealed his real age.

I just wish i could get in touch with the owners of the other littermates.

Tell you what il cut and paste my letter!

You have 14 days from the date of this letter to comply with the demands contained herein

Dear Mrs

You may remember that I laid down a deposit on a puppy from you on the 31st March 2008. At this point I was reliably informed that the dog I was about to purchase was seven weeks old.

On the 7th of April, we were contacted by you, informing us that the puppy was a few days off eight weeks and we could collect the animal whenever we want as they were fully independent of their mother. Not once did you point out the real age of the dog.  Only after the contract had been fulfilled and I received the dog’s paperwork, did I find out its real age. 

I feel that you breached the contract that we had to supply me with a healthy eight week old puppy. By failing to inform me of the dog’s actual age, and making statements about the dog’s “supposed” age, you therefore induced me into the contract.  Puppies learn vital social skills from their mother and litter mates, and I feel my puppy missed out on this necessary life skill.

Furthermore I feel the dog came to me in bad health, without any proof of health checks, inoculations or necessary treatment. Within two and a half weeks the dog had collapsed and needed urgent veterinary care.  Three days later the dog suffered another and four days later on discovering the dog had a build up of brown sticky substance needed treatment for ear mites.  Then after daily treatment and medication in our vain attempts to bring this puppy to health he collapsed again, this final time not recovering and leading to euthanasia of the puppy at the age of 13 weeks.  This whole situation has brought extreme sadness to me and my family having to watch helpless as this puppy we had loved and devoted our time to deteriorate and suffer in such a heart wrenching way.

It is alleged that by saying that the dog was 7 weeks (when in fact its real age was 5 weeks 1 day) was a negligent misrepresentation, because had we know the age of the pup, we would have not entered in to the contract to buy. 

Further to this, s2 (1) of the Misrepresentation Act 1967, provides a remedy for such an event, which is not limited to but including damages.

As per Esso Petroleum v. Mardon (1976) 2 All ER 5 (CA), you owed a duty of care to me, in that I was relying on your expertise as a dog breeder.

I therefore claim £###.## in vet’s fees relating to the care of the dog. Should this matter go before a court I will also be claiming statutory interest pursuant to s69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum plus costs associated with bringing the claim to court.

Please beware of the 14 day time limit; should I not receive a satisfactory response to this matter, I will have no other option but to file a claim in the county court.

Yours Sincerely,

REUBY DOOO!