Author Topic: Can I legally walk my dog on a bridle path?  (Read 12399 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Can I legally walk my dog on a bridle path?
« on: June 09, 2008, 04:20:08 PM »
I have been doing so for the past 15 years ph34r .  It runs across the farm where Fern was born. However I got harrassed today by a very imperious, rude and sarcastic horse rider who maintains that I shouldn't  :huh:

Everyone I have ever met there has always been friendly and courteous until this baggage turned up a couple of months ago. Her attitude really spoilt my walk. Fern is hardly a horse worrier, she doesn't go near them and always comes straight to heel to be leashed anyway. I can understand them, having priority, but does that mean no one can traverse bridle paths without a horse, or if they have a dog or a bike? I have seen plenty of people with dogs, bikes and horses riding along there over the past 15-20 years.

What's the legal position, anyone know?
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Re: Can I legally walk my dog on a bridle path?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 04:41:39 PM »
I think you will find, that you are perfectly in the right to walk along the bridlepath, where we live. we have posts saying bridleways and public footpaths, they are marked blue, yellow and white, certain ones horse riders are not allowed to use, but the rest of them are both for foot walkers and horse riders  ;) what a miserable ol whatsit, take no notice of her and enjoy your walks with Fern, we also have miserable horse owners, who think they own the paths, i always pull over to one side and keep the boys sitting, they never make allowances for us to walk past first >:(

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 04:57:46 PM »
A bridleway is a public right of way ...so you are allowed to walk your dog along it but they must be under close control or on a lead  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 04:59:44 PM »
if you put in bridalways and the law (google) you will find and article and it says cyclists and pedestrians also have right of way, i would print it off and keep it on your pocket for the silly woman
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 05:00:52 PM »
sorry i spelt bridleways wrong  ph34r ph34r
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »
Yes - pedestrians have a right to use bridleways... all a bridleway means is that horses (and cyclists, I think) have the same right as pedestrians.  While using a bridleway, you would have to ensure a dog didn't worry livestock etc, but there is no reason why you can't walk a dog along these paths.

;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 05:49:09 PM »
if you put in bridalways and the law (google) you will find and article and it says cyclists and pedestrians also have right of way, i would print it off and keep it on your pocket for the silly woman
I have had a look and can only see comments that pedestrians and cyclists also have the right of way. It doesn't say anything about dogs  :-\ . I know it's part of the Highways Act 1980, but can't actually find the act itself online. Where did you find it minimoo?
happydog

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 06:02:40 PM »
This is quite good:

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/footpaths/law/animals.html#Dog

Sounds like the silly cow has not checked her facts!  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 06:08:06 PM »
A bridleway is a public right of way ...so you are allowed to walk your dog along it but they must be under close control or on a lead  ;)
I wonder what close control means with a busy working cocker? She is in and out of the undergrowth at the sides of the path, but never more than 20 yards away. She will come when she is called.
The problem is that this woman rides a huge horse and canters along the path at breakneck speed. Last time I shouted a warning that there was a spaniel nearby, so that she was aware and her horse didn't get spooked if Fern sprung out onto the path, and she cantered past without even an acknowledgement, let alone slowing down  >:( .
She pulled up today, a few yards before me and Fern was on lead within seconds of me seeing her. She then asked me why I was walking my dog on a bridlepath, I said 'Errr -why shouldn't I?' She replied that as horses are not allowed on footpaths so I should not be walking my dog on a bridlepath. All I could say in reply was 'I never knew that'. I was actually quite lost for words as it had never occured to me before that it might be illegal. She then said that she has to stop her horse  and that isn't good for the horse  :huh: . She then turned round in the middle of the path and rode off back the way she came calling over her shoulder ' well you learn something new every day'  ::) .
The path is quite narrow and twists and turns so you don't always have a clear view of what or who is ahead. this is taken on a fairly straight bit in early May. As you can imagine the new growth had narrowed it considerably now.

What worries me is if this woman meets my neighbour who is disabled from a stroke and not that steady on his feet walking his border collie, a cyclist  or another rider doing the same coming from the opposite direction? None of the other riders I have met are so stupid as to canter down a narrow path like this  :huh:
happydog

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 06:12:34 PM »
Silly bag - as I understand it a bridleway is just a footpath that allows horses and bikes as well as whatever is allowed on a footpath not instead of!  ::)  If you see her again I would give her the facts threaten to report her if you think she is riding recklessly.  She also has a duty not to endanger others using the path so charging along without a clear view ahead is just stupid.  >:( 
Julie and Watson

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 06:23:27 PM »
Thanks for the link Joules.
  If you see her again I would give her the facts threaten to report her if you think she is riding recklessly.  She also has a duty not to endanger others using the path so charging along without a clear view ahead is just stupid.  >:( 
I would like to do as minimoo suggests and print off the relevant parts of the act, stick it in my pocket and hand it to her next time I see her (if she stops that is  ::) ) but can't actually find anything official online which specifically says dogs are allowed on bridle paths.
happydog

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 07:57:44 PM »
my understanding is the following

Footpaths -ok for pedestrians and dogs, dogs must be on a lead or under close control. NO Cycles Motor vehicle's or horses allowed.

Bridleway - as above but for use by horse riders and cyclists. NO Motor vehicle's allowed and cyclists must give way to horses.

Restricted Byway - as bridleway but can be used by motor vehicle's if restrictions allow.

Byway - motor vehicles can use but must give way to other users.

To me close control means not being a threat to other users and that would include horse riders, but i would temper that with the fact that your horse rider is obviously more of a threat to other users of the bridleway than any dog would be

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 08:22:53 PM »
Stopping is bad for the horse!!!!  :rofl1: :rofl1: But not being able to stop is worse for the rider  :005:.

I only canter on straight paths where I have a good view of whats coming  ;).

Millie

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 08:26:08 PM »
Have found this on a forum about walking in Hampshire - sure it is national though.

http://countrysideaccessforum.hants.org.uk/walking/walkingdogwhere.html

It seems as if this is covered by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 - sorry but I have not read through all of this  :shades:  :005:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/ukpga_20000037_en_1

It appears that a dog is considered a "normal accompaniment" and can therefore go wherever you go as long as it is not allowed to cause havoc with local livestock.   ;)  I am sure if you explain this to that flipping woman then she will back off as she clearly does not know the law.  ::)

Stopping is bad for the horse!!!!  :rofl1: :rofl1:

Mmm, sounds more like she is not too sure that she would be able to stop the horse.  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline angelbaby

• Site Member
  • My love, my life, my cocker spaniel
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 08:31:24 PM »
we had this dicussion the other day actually we were saying that pedestrian, walkers and cyclist can go pretty much where they like but we can only go a few places on the horses!  stupid woman doesnt know what shes talking about! stop her next time and tell her  :005:

and how the hell is stopping going to hurt her horse? does that mean she gallops everywhere then? she has to stop at some point!!! i would never canter through a narrow bridleway without seeing way ahead?? she is riding irresponsibly imo.
My little angel, sent to me in my time of need, i love you with every piece of my broken heart xx
My beautiful boy xx