Author Topic: Any difference, boy or girl?  (Read 13552 times)

Offline triggpup

Any difference, boy or girl?
« on: August 31, 2008, 01:07:16 PM »
Well we`re finally off to visit our first litter of pups on wednesday and having spoken to the breeder (I was suprised how nervous I was!) she asked why I prefered a bitch to a dog especially as I don`t want to have any pups myself.  And to be honest I can`t remember why. I think it was back when I hadn`t decided on the breed and girls tended to be a bit calmer. But there isn`t much difference between cocker males and females is there?  I guess all my friends have bitches and I like the idea of a girlie sounding name but they`re not really good reasons to get a bitch are they?  What does everyone think? This would be our first pup and now we`re getting so close I`m getting very nervous as I `m desperate to get it right. And now having read other posts I wonder whether leaving it to the spring would be better although then it might have to be the following spring due to a possible week away. (I`m sure the inlaws don`t want 3 kids and a brand new puppy to look after!)  Had had it all sussed and now I`m panicking! Anyone else get extremely nervous as well as excited just before finally choosing their new family member?

Rachel

Offline helshaw

• Site Member
Re: Any difference, boy or girl?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 01:18:15 PM »
I think its just personel preference. I prefer boys and the only reason for that is that my auntie had a male cocker when I was little and that was when I realised cockers was the breed I wanted. Because he was male I just got used to that sex and I have only ever had males even though ours have always been castrated and we don't want to have a stud dog.

Offline fizzyntiffy

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 01:23:34 PM »
I think it's personal preference too, I had two female cockers when I was a kiddie and then I had a male dog in my 20's. Right now we have an 8 yr old female dog and we've just rescued Tiffany  :luv: a female cocker. But that's not to say I would never have a male dog again.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:26:27 PM »
I've mainly had girls, but I've had 2 boys over the years and with cockers I don't think there's much difference personality wise. If all your friends have girls then unless they or your dog are neutered then there will be times you won't be able to walk together (if thats what you will do).

Girls  not spayed will have 2 seasons per yr on average where you'll need to watch them and although small they will spot blood everywhere they sit.

Boys may be distracted by the girls if not neutered and have a love mission. Boys may be a bit more protective of their owners when out walking and meet another male dog. Boys may also scent mark in other peoples homes.

Both can be stubborn and both can be very loyal and loving.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »
Definitely personal preference.   ;)  When we got Milo as a puppy we knew we definitely wanted a boy.  We'd had a boy before and it was just what we were used to, I guess.  The breeder asked us why we didn't want a girl and we were honest and told her it was just our preference.  She was fine with our answer, I think she was just curious.   ;)

When we decided to add another Cocker to the mix, I knew Milo would be more accepting of a bitch, so that's where Mocha came in to it.  I have to say, she has opened my eyes to owning a bitch and now a decision would be made based on any existing dogs in the family and what I feel they would be happy with. 

There really isn't much difference, tbh, I'm sure the differences between my two are as much personality differences as anything else.  Mocha will charge around with the best of them, roll in horrible stuff etc, but she's also quite nosy, feisty and bossy - a typical woman my Mum says.   :005:
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 01:43:03 PM »
We've got an 11 month old bitch and she's our first dog and she has a fantastic temperament, however I don't think the temperament differs much between bitches and dogs.   When and if we get another cocker, we will go with a boy due to our girl being quite a submissive cocker.   Like yourself, we didn't know whether to go for a boy or girl originally.

If you are viewing on Wednesday and not sure whether you want a boy or girl, just go along and be open minded and not think of the sex and just go with the cocker that has the right temperament for your family, the breeder should be able to advise you which will suit you anyway as they are with the pups all the time so I would think have a good idea of the types of personality.   I'm sure you'll fall in love with one particular one anyway be it boy or girl so if you haven't a preference then you probably have more to pick from.   I had 3 to pick from and was sooo nervous about not making the wrong decision but that hasn't happened.   ;)

Good luck  :D

PS  We got a puppy in November and for me it was a good time as by the summer she could go for longer walks.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
If you are viewing on Wednesday and not sure whether you want a boy or girl, just go along and be open minded and not think of the sex and just go with the cocker that has the right temperament for your family, the breeder should be able to advise you which will suit you anyway as they are with the pups all the time so I would think have a good idea of the types of personality.   I'm sure you'll fall in love with one particular one anyway be it boy or girl so if you haven't a preference then you probably have more to pick from.   

I agree with this, just go along with an open mind and look at the pups' personalities first and foremost and speak to the breeder. One of them will probably choose you! I have two boys and a girl, they are all very different characters but that's down to personality rather than their sex.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 01:51:35 PM »
Well we`re finally off to visit our first litter of pups on wednesday and having spoken to the breeder (I was suprised how nervous I was!) she asked why I prefered a bitch to a dog especially as I don`t want to have any pups myself.  And to be honest I can`t remember why. I think it was back when I hadn`t decided on the breed and girls tended to be a bit calmer. But there isn`t much difference between cocker males and females is there?  I guess all my friends have bitches and I like the idea of a girlie sounding name but they`re not really good reasons to get a bitch are they?  What does everyone think? This would be our first pup and now we`re getting so close I`m getting very nervous as I `m desperate to get it right. And now having read other posts I wonder whether leaving it to the spring would be better although then it might have to be the following spring due to a possible week away. (I`m sure the inlaws don`t want 3 kids and a brand new puppy to look after!)  Had had it all sussed and now I`m panicking! Anyone else get extremely nervous as well as excited just before finally choosing their new family member?

Rachel

We went to the breeder with a slight preference for a girl - but we followed the breeders advice and accepted her recommendation of which pup would suit us best......and Molo, a dog, came to live with us  :D  We now have a bitch too - and other than the biological differences, I would say that gender makes no difference  ;)

If you have a bitch and don't want to have her spayed, then you will need to consider how you plan to manage her seasons in terms of exercise and confinement; and if you have a dog, then you may need to consider castration if you have nearby neighbours with entire bitches that he gets stressed about.....but temperament-wise, I would suggest you ask the breeder for her advice when you pick  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 02:47:10 PM »
The breeder will ask why you want a girl in case you want to breed.  Some people want bitch puppies to breed from and most good breeders won't condone this.  We wanted a girl and in most cases all the breeders I spoke to asked me why we wanted a girl.  I just reassured them we didn't want to breed and it was just personal preference. 

We didn't have a particular reason really, although girls don't have willies bobbling about!!!  :005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »
We initially wanted a girl because our first cocker was a girl, but we fell in love with a little boy!!  :luv: I couldnt tell you the differences as our cocker boy is only 9 weeks old!  :luv: The main reason i didnt want a boy was of course the dangly bits and id heard bad things about the marking of territory and from what i can gather after asking not all dogs do this, and its a chance im willing to take - plus i prefer saying dude, boy, lad, sir when im talking to him!  :luv:

Iv had a girl also and i didnt find the seasons that much trouble, she kept herself clean and only got it on her bedding which was washed daily, and i was never bothered by the neighbourhood dogs, the only thing thats rubbish about it was keeping them in the house!  ::)

And as for the panicking - i fully understand that - the week i was picking my boy up i was just thinking how much this would change my life etc etc for me its like having another child - but you get out what you put in! Its hard work but so very fulfilling and rewarding!  :luv:

Good luck when you go!  :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 04:30:47 PM »
Anyone else get extremely nervous as well as excited just before finally choosing their new family member?

Domino was the fifth puppy we chose but even so I am always a little worried when we choose a new member to join our family!!

Our first dog was a bitch but thereafter we've always had male dogs & I would probably opt for a male in the future for no other reason than personal preference. Interestingly our bitch, Stella, was always the boss & the male dogs were quite happy for her to be so; they just wanted a quiet life. ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 05:18:33 PM »
I agree with the others that it's personal preference. We went for a boy because we didn't want to have a girl spayed if we could help it (due to difference in coat, risk of aneasthetic and surgery, tendancy to gain weight etc, although we would have done so should it have become necessary for her own health). We also didn't know what to expect with an unneutered girl, like how much blood, and whether we'd have all the strays in the area hanging round.  So for us it just made sense to get a boy.

I would have quite liked a girl so I could buy her pink bowls and blankets and collars  :luv: and I would have liked a sweet girly name like Tallulah, or Maisie, but we had to think practically.

I would see it as a good thing that she has questioned your motives as it is a sign that she cares about the puppies and their futures.

As for the anxiety of choosing and getting our dog - oh yes! Been there done that. I was posting on this site every minute asking for reassurance I'd done the right thing.  :005:  ph34r Thankfully everyone here was very patient and I learnt so much from them. I think having a bit of anxiety is a good thing because it motavates you to learn as much as you can and do the best for your pup.

Good luck with choosing :)

xxx 
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline triggpup

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 07:37:01 PM »
Thanks for all the replys. Makes me feel better that whatever we do we`ll be ok! Will decide by individual pup rather than sex I think!

Offline AnnieK

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »
This post is a bit late but aren't females less likely to be dominant?

Good Luck
x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »
This post is a bit late but aren't females less likely to be dominant?

Good Luck
x

have to say NO!  Depends on the individual dog of course but out of the bitches I know the majority are bossier to other dogs and humans than male dogs...
helen & jarvis x