Author Topic: How do you cope re homing ex breeding bitches  (Read 26594 times)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
Re: How do you cope re homing ex breeding bitches
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2008, 02:14:51 PM »
honestly... I do sometimes wonder.  No one has said that EVERY dog from a puppy farm is going to turn out to be a no hoper all that has been said is that they will do one of two things fight or flight.  That is the case for ANY dog and i was specific in that I only give my knowledge from a breed that is in the wrong hands a difficult breed - Weimaraner. 

Cockers I am sure are absolutely perfect in which case I would ask the question why are we not all buying these perfect dogs from puppy farmers?? 

The reason MOST good rescues will not home a dog with a family with children is not for the benefit of the child but the benefit of the dog, usually because they have no experience of children so are deemed an unknown reaction which in this day and age where children being bitten is a pts offense is to protect the dog not necessarily because they are a danger. 

Offline PennyB

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2008, 03:44:33 PM »
The reason MOST good rescues will not home a dog with a family with children is not for the benefit of the child but the benefit of the dog, usually because they have no experience of children so are deemed an unknown reaction which in this day and age where children being bitten is a pts offense is to protect the dog not necessarily because they are a danger. 

Yet I know most rescues will rehome these dogs with children good or bad --- I know you seem to have some experience with this but everyone else seems to suggest the opposite ;) from their own experience

If puppy farm ex-breeding bitches are as bad as you say they are then we shouldn't be rehoming any rescues at all to homes with children.

It should be based on the assessment of the dog not the fact that they're an ex-breeding bitch
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2008, 03:47:25 PM »
I've always wondered about rehoming an ex stud boy - with a late neuter, would he be mounting all the time a current resident girl?

I fostered a lovely cocker boy who had spent the 1st few years of his life as a PF stud boy then with new owners who sadly died about 18 months later and he then came to me and was rehomed with a houseful of other spaniels, all bitches and he was fine (he had been neutered before rehoming though).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2008, 04:10:15 PM »
"honestly... I do sometimes wonder.  No one has said that EVERY dog from a puppy farm is going to turn out to be a no hoper all that has been said is that they will do one of two things fight or flight.  That is the case for ANY dog and i was specific in that I only give my knowledge from a breed that is in the wrong hands a difficult breed - Weimaraner. "

Since Tasha admits she has no experience of cockers rehomed from puppy farms, only Weimaraners, and this thread is specifically dedicated to cockers, I would suggest the argument is better continued under Other Breeds. Those with the direct experience she lacks have made their views very clear already.

"Cockers I am sure are absolutely perfect in which case I would ask the question why are we not all buying these perfect dogs from puppy farmers??"

I hope that comment is supposed to be a joke of sorts.  If not, I am surprised that someone with obvious experience of breeding needs to ask it.    

Am I alone in resenting the covert implication for rescues like Four Paws, Lizzie's Barn and MT who will rehome where there are children, having taken immense time, trouble and care to make sure the home is right for all concerned? I would certainly rank all three as very good rescues indeed.

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2008, 04:34:29 PM »
Annie, I am with you on what you say. 

Tasha, I think you are just trying to be controversial for the sake of it and quite frankly, on this site where so many of us have VERY successfully re-homed ex puppy farm dogs into families with or without children, you are on a losing streak!

I would just accept that you're not going to win this debate! ;)
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2008, 04:49:10 PM »
all that has been said is that they will do one of two things fight or flight. 
the ex breeding bitches i have walked havent ALL been in either of these modes,a couple of them have been pretty scared, some have just loved the attention, one was chasing a ball in the sand pit area (had obviously been a pet once in her life  :'( ) and they werent all cockers either , they didnt want to fight or run away , the extreme cases are there, but please dont label them all the same, its like saying all breeders are evil  ph34r very unfair , what do you suggest happens to all of these unwanted "stock", if people dont at least try and help them
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2008, 04:50:41 PM »
sorry only the first line is the quote, the rest is IMHO
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2008, 09:53:59 AM »
nothing to do with winning an argument or to be controversial its to do with the dogs, I have some experience with mixed breeds including cockers but my main is weimaraners hence my post as I know these better than cockers.

Yes my comment re them being perfect is in jest -sadly.

I really cannot understand why anyone would not want someone to be prepared for the worst case senerio, no dog when its come through rescue NO MATTER WHOSE is going to fit right in.  There is an article that was written by someone from the times that I think is well worth reading, these are the sort of people who think with their heart and not their head, its not about rescues but about a puppy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment....icle5119269.ece

I would say the same about a rescue dog and dogs inparticular that have been through the potential trauma of being a puppy farm dog or breeding bitch/stud and I distinguish between the two because the majority of 'breeding bitches' are not necessarily from puppy farmers. 

I do find it a pity that the majority of the dogs looking for homes on this particular forum are mainly ex breeders from MT there are lots of cockers out there looking for a home it would be nice to see a few more of those publicised and not just the puppy farm / irresponsible breeders cast offs.

All I am asking is that people think carefully about the committment that might be needed and I would ask that of any rescue dog but these inparticular because they have gone through enough already - REALLY is that so much to ask????

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »

I do find it a pity that the majority of the dogs looking for homes on this particular forum are mainly ex breeders from MT there are lots of cockers out there looking for a home it would be nice to see a few more of those publicised and not just the puppy farm / irresponsible breeders cast offs.

I'm not sure that's the case but the rescue board is open for anyone to post about Cockers looking for homes ( subject to the forum rules) - we can only 'publicise' those that members take the trouble to list. I'd say the amount of ex-breeding dogs listed here is a reflection of the puppy farm problem than anything else. I'm sure we'd all agree that beyond the politics the priority is to help find homes for dogs, they themeselves can't be held responsible for their origins.

This has been an interesting discussion (and hopefully been useful to anyone considering giving a home to an ex breeding dog) but perhaps it's best being locked now as it's just going round in circles. I'll unlock it again though if anyone has any serious objections.