Author Topic: Anyone else has/had a working cocker as their first dog?  (Read 7025 times)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Anyone else has/had a working cocker as their first dog?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
I sort of agree with the sentiment but as with most things it depends on the individual and the situation  :-\  Sounds like you are doing great with Chloe but some people may not have the time or inclination to deal with a dog with so much drive.  Obviously you do so the comment is totally out of order - not to mention unprofessional to discuss a client with someone else  >:(  However, the problem is that more and more people seem to be getting working cockers as pets in towns and unsuitable homes and when the owner decides they cannot cope the poor dog will end up in rescue.  :'(

Coco is show type but is very lively and naughty and she was my first dog - I did a lot of homework but I was still shocked by how demanding she was and still is.  ::)  I was determined to persevere though and am glad I did but it has certainly been a challenge and if my circumstances were different I would have struggled more.  I have had people say to me that a cocker is not a great choice as a first dog but it depends how much you are prepared to put in - in my case, and I am sure in yours, I have put more into dog owning than many people I know who have had dogs all their lives.  ::)
Julie and Watson

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 09:35:27 AM »
I sort of agree with the sentiment but as with most things it depends on the individual and the situation  :-\  Sounds like you are doing great with Chloe but some people may not have the time or inclination to deal with a dog with so much drive.  Obviously you do so the comment is totally out of order - not to mention unprofessional to discuss a client with someone else 

I have had people say to me that a cocker is not a great choice as a first dog but it depends how much you are prepared to put in - in my case, and I am sure in yours, I have put more into dog owning than many people I know who have had dogs all their lives.  ::)

I think Joules puts this really well- and from reading your posts I know just how much of an effort you are making and think the original comment was waaaay out of line with regards to you and your situation..
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 10:06:17 AM »
I think the comment was unprofessional and out of line also.

To a point, you never know what you're going to get when you take on a cocker pup.. knowing what I know now, my first show type was up there with the most loopy working cocker and had an extremely high hunt drive yet his parentage gave no hint of that - his Dad was a kind gentle very successful show dog and his mum a sweet normal (calmish) show type family dog. He had a wonderful temperament but NEVER chilled out.. not at home or when we were out. If we weren't playing with him or keeping him occupied then he'd throw himself balls in the garden to keep himself busy - usually after a 2-3 hour walk of constant flushing and tracking. Yes he was a shock to the system and I can't believe how easy Dave - a normalish show cocker - is in comparison. However, I wouldn't want to change the experience I had with Trev.. even if he was my first dog and I didn't know quite what I was getting into ;).

It's not up to a trainee vet to criticise someone for their choice of dog and it's very easy to make 'expert' comments when you don't have to live with the dog too - as you say she's happy and confident. An over exciteable dog in other hands could be very different by now. I'd be very tempted to change vets and tell them why.

Have confidence in yourself and your choices, stick to what you're doing and enjoy the lovely challenge you have.. :-*

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline sappho

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »
I think it really depends on the dog and the owner.  As others have said all first dogs are a shock to the system.   You can never be sure of any dogs character or temprement whatever the breed.  There are hundreds of different breeds and millions of differing opinions on all of them.  You clearly have the commitment and love and are doing a great job so don't worry about it too much.  Maybe she was just jelous cos she didnt have Cocker Kisses to come home too  :005:

Offline Roslyn McConnell

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 10:17:35 AM »
Is she in actually training or is she just in getting work experience? If she is in training then she should be getting some sort of ethics training too and would know that to talk about you to someone else is a big no-no, also she should show more tack!

I think as long as you do ur research and are committed, then it shouldn't matter what kind of dog u should get.

I would voice ur concern at the vets or to the girl herself, in the long run a little shock now will be good for her career because she should learn to be more professional......or Im I just being hard?!!!  :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 10:25:44 AM »
I think the comment was unprofessional and out of line also.

I do too, but I just wonder what said by friend to prompt such a comment from the vet in training.  :-\

Hopefully if comment was made in earshot of the father he would teach her that this is not usual behaviour for a vet or anyone else in that profession to be make ad-lib, apart from anything else what happened to client confidentiality??
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 10:29:23 AM »
, apart from anything else what happened to client confidentiality??

oooo don't get me started on vets client confidentiallity  >:D I applied for a job (I was late to apply as i was errming and arhing  ::) so they had already appointed someone) and one of the receptionists went and told my boss 2 weeks later that I had applied  >:D

Offline Mundyboy

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 10:30:30 AM »
..... if you have done your homework, know the breed and its needs etc, and you put 100% in, then I don't see the problem.
I tend to agree with this statement but I have great respect for those who have and work the working cocker and after reading the post by Nicola I am swayed to her way of thinking.  I think some folk who go for a first time dog and choose a cocker do not always appreciate the differences within the breed.  There are many types of spaniel and as many are so obviously not show dogs there is little confusion.  However a show dog can often look very similar to a working dog and the difference in needs can come as a great supprise to those who unwittingly take on a working dog.  I have always had show dogs.  Jenni is, I believe, a working dog and now that many of the issues she brought with her from 'rescue' have been addressed I am seeing the difference.

At home she's really easy-going and a dream dog to own but offlead on walks she is a real hunter/explorer ( even onlead she quarters like a working dog), it was a real shock to the system for me at first - she covers at least 3 times the ground Jimmy and Misty do on walks and her comfort distance from me is way beyond theirs. Whereas Jimmy and Misty tend to stick to the main path, it's not good enough for Stevie who needs to go off, out of sight, into all the bushes and undergrowth doing her own thing.

I can relate to this and am now having to condition myself for a whole new experience.

Basically I think anyone who has a dog for the first time can keep it locked down feed and exercise according to their own circumstances.  Unfortunately many do just that.  To be responsible and fair to your dog you need to make a wholehearted commitment.  I think you have done just that.  Hear what the girl at the vets said but move on.  You will succeed and both you and Chole will prosper.   :-*
I love my dogs.  They make it worth getting out of bed in the morning.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 10:32:24 AM »
, apart from anything else what happened to client confidentiality??

oooo don't get me started on vets client confidentiallity  >:D I applied for a job (I was late to apply as i was errming and arhing  ::) so they had already appointed someone) and one of the receptionists went and told my boss 2 weeks later that I had applied  >:D

Ohh that was naughty and very unfair, could have put you in bad position with your current employers.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 10:43:04 AM »
Thanks for your comments and such kind reassurance.  I absolutely love my vet (the dad). He helped me nurse my old cat with diabetes for 3 years and I really couldn't fault him. However, his wife (also a vet) is a different matter...she scares me to be honest! As for the daughter, well I've always got on really well with her too and am surprised she made this comment to be honest. I understand that my friend had been telling them about our walks (she has new rescue lab and we've been taking the dogs out together) and how Chloe has got so much energy and runs rings round Baz (her dog). I won't be changing vets because of it though - there's only 3 on Skye and one I've already fallen out with due to his attitude to me when my cat was diagnosed with diabetes. The other one operates from what i can only describe as a barn and really doesn't have much in the way of modern facilities (is known for being good with livestock but not so good for pets). I think I shall say something to the daughter next time Im in...not in a confrontational way, I'll find a jokey way to put it, just so she knows she was out of order. Anyway, its made me more determined than ever to prove her wrong!!!!!

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »
Think Chloe is helping you proove her wrong too with her lead walking  ;)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 10:50:10 AM »
I think I shall say something to the daughter next time Im in...not in a confrontational way, I'll find a jokey way to put it, just so she knows she was out of order. Anyway, its made me more determined than ever to prove her wrong!!!!!

Yes that sounds a good idea, perhaps if done in a friendly way she will take it more on board. Hoefully will stop her making the same mistake again,

-&  there's nothing like success, to quieten the critics aye

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 10:35:50 PM »
I know alot of people have working cockers as pets and do very well with them but
I think working cockers should be in homes where there going to be worked  ph34r
Im sorry and i know lots of people will disagree with me but i just think they should be doing what they are bred for if there capable of it and dont understand why people want a dog with the drive to work then not work it  ph34r ph34r
Im in no way saying they are bad owners or the dogs arnt happy but mine love the training and every bone in bries body is screaming at her to work. She had an extreamly high drive and is a natural. To be fair i can imagin Jack as an agility dog but still think he would be happier working
Il get my coat ................

Offline t1gg3er

• Donator
  • Darby & Dexter
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 11:14:02 PM »
Il get my coat ................

LOL  :lol2:

We have 2 working & 1 show type & the differences are vast.  Our girls don't 'work' as such & I know opinions on whether this is right vary.  They're intelligent & preceptive (more than my kids anyway) and a joy to own.  There isn't day where they don't surprise us.  Young Darby (16wks) just did her 1st agility course at puppy training & even tho she's the youngest there, she whooped the others (yes, I gloated)  :luv:

Back to the original point, there must be people who've had dogs for years who couldn't handle a working cocker & others who've never had a dog but done their homework & put the time & effort in (like Sue) who make fantastic owners.

Maybe this girl is a little too full of her newly acquired knowledge/qualifications & still needs the benefit of experience to give her a more balanced outlook (young & ambitious but with no real clue about reality)? 
Vanessa, Rob, Boys & Doglets
x

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 11:29:30 PM »
Mocha is my first dog and as a worker he has stretched my patience to the limit.  I think they can make great pets but ideal first time dogs, I'm not sure,  as there are so many things that can go wrong with the training and if you add in high prey drive its even harder.  I did do lots of research about the lines and strain but nothing prepared me for what was hard wired in his brain.  They say labs are born half trained and spaniels die half trained ...how true.   I still love him to bits but I think if I had my time again I would not get a working cocker .....or maybe I would but I would try and make less mistakes which I made as a first time owner.

Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!