Author Topic: to crate or not to crate  (Read 5305 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
to crate or not to crate
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2004, 01:28:17 PM »
I had a lot of trouble convincing hubby that crating was the way to go with Alfie.
When Gunnar was a pup we lived in a flat so he followed us room to room no problems. Also when we had to go out and leave him on his own it was easy to shut the doors and just leave him the run of the hall where he couldnt get in trouble.Now we have a house and the kitchen, hall and stairs are open plan and to leave him unattended and loose would be dangerous. My main concern was that he might fall off the stairs and break his legs or back. So to be able to pop him in his crate when I need to be away from him for short periods (housework still has to be done) is one worry less. I finally managed to get my hubby to understand by getting him to remember that his children were always popped into the play pen or were strapped in a chair as toddlers for their safety.

Hubby still has concerns (because he still thinks crates are cruel) but he can see the safety reasoning and once he sees that I dont intend on shutting Alfie up for hours at a time, Im sure he will be more at ease with it.

Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
to crate or not to crate
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2004, 02:07:46 PM »
If memory serves correct, we have had a few people who have seemed to use crates in ways for which they weren't designed i.e. to coop up their dogs for extended periods whilst they've been out of the house, at work all day for example. So where's the argument? :lol:

:) Mike, I was talking about the regular folk on the forum :wink:   I think most people with an ounce of common sence and decency know that its wrong to crate a puppy or adult dog for long periods of time :!:

As for an argument :roll:  no argument here, only stating my own opinion and putting my views forward :wink: and also defending my decision to crate, as others have defended their decision not to crate :D  

Just to outline my thoughts again I agree with the use of crates, as long as they are used in a safe and responsible manner!   If we are talking about overuse, like the example Katina gave then, of course, I strongly disagree with that :x                      

Offline taniac

• Site Member
to crate or not to crate
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2004, 02:37:55 PM »
I have 2 cockers and the first time round I didn't have a crate as like many other people thought it was a cruel idea :roll: However, when Neo was very small we did build a pen which he was restricted to when he had to be left alone (not much different to a crate but bigger), and then as he grew bigger we moved him to the kitchen with a baby gate across so he has more room but still hasn't got free run of the house.  We decided early on that he would only be allowed the freedom of the house when we were there to supervise  :wink:

Since owning Neo I have read more and learnt more about crates and training techniques, so when Jovi joined the family at Easter we'd already bought a crate.  The first night I have to admit to getting up and opening the door to the crate, and in the morning I found Neo in the crate and Jovi stretched out in the basket!!  :lol:  :lol:

Jovi now sleeps in his crate every night, and Neo sleeps next to it in his basket, it gives him a bit of peace from the pup.  At bedtime both my boys go to their beds very happily, and sometimes if I forget to shut the baby gate Neo wanders around the house without causing any damage  8) .  It is not very often that Jovi's crate door is shut during the day.. only if I'm unloading the shopping, cooking and he's trying to climb in the cupboards/oven  :D

I think it's a very useful tool that needs to be used wisely.  Also if you are going to crate then remember to follow the advice on getting a puppy used to it and making it a fun place.  Jovi will curl up in the crate quite happily even though there are 2 baskets and he can choose which one he sleeps in during the day.  

As a house-training tool it is very helpful, I don't remember how long it took Neo before he went through the night without a puddle, but Jovi's been clean through the night from almost day one (with the usual getting up).  I do have problems with puddles if the back door is shut and he needs to go, so the next training is getting him to ask to go out!!!  :)                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)