Author Topic: walking  (Read 841 times)

Offline banjodav

• Site Member
walking
« on: January 26, 2009, 02:33:23 PM »
Hi,  My Jess is nearly 3 and is adorable.  All she wants to do is be near us.  My OH is obsessed with her getting walked.  At the moment she generally goes out for about 40 mins in the morning and about 20 in the evening.  If the weather is bad or things are happening at home sometimes one of these is missed.  she still goes in the garden whenever she wants.  Is this the crime of the century????
barry and jess

Offline mcphee

Re: walking
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 02:55:01 PM »
Of course it isn't. If she is happy, well behaved, she is not over weight, and is getting some other stimulation, like playing in the garden, then to a certain extent she has to fit in with you. I do not know whether your darling is from show or working stock. Rufus is from working stock and needed 3 walks a day until he was about 2. He is 4 now and he gets about 2 hours a day in 2 walks. This is because I have time, now I have taken early retirement and the kids are grown up and as he is my first dog, I am afraid he has rather ruled my life! 

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 03:05:40 PM »
No, on occassions my two might miss out on a walk altogether (usually because of the weather), but it doesn't happen very often, but I try and make up for it by playing lots of games and do a bit of clicker training, which tires them out mentally.  Also, I reduce their food slightly.  There are times when a walk isn't always possible, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it.

My two have only been out once today for an hour at lunchtime - both got thoroughly soaked through, and are still not quite dry at 4.30pm.  Won't be taking them out again as I would prefer for them to be dry before bedtime.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 03:18:26 PM »
My OH is obsessed with her getting walked. 

does he want to walk her longer then. Going out for dogs isn't just about the exercise its often also about a variation in things.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 03:26:43 PM »
Does Jess seem happy with the amount of exercise she gets or does she seem to want/need more? That's really all you need to ask yourself. If your OH wants to walk her more and she seems up for it then why not? What you've described isn't a huge amount of exercise and wouldn't be enough for my two on a daily basis but for many other dogs it would be fine. There is no right or wrong amount of exercise to give, it depends on what your dog needs.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:35:30 PM »
Bonnie Boo gets about 45 minutes on lead in the dark mornings and about the same offlead in the lighter mornings .About hour and half off lead in the afternoons whatever the weather. Plus some playtime in the garden she is then nicely tired in the evenings
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline banjodav

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 03:38:54 PM »
Sorry my OH is the wife! who wants her walked more.  She isnt overweight at all, and is a show as opposed to a working dog.  Often it is a case of dragging her out of the nice warm house into the cold and damp when all she seems to want is to stay in.
I really dont see it as a problem if she only gets a short walk on occasions.  I do make it up other days by taking her to the beach which is nearby for a much longer run.
barry and jess

Offline mcphee

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 04:45:34 PM »
Don't let it cause marital or partner strife. Cockers are very sensitive and don't like arguments! You are lucky she doesn't want to go out in all weathers. Just do as much as you can sensibly fit in and watch for signs of boredom ( in the dog that is!).

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 04:51:52 PM »
Sorry my OH is the wife! who wants her walked more.  She isnt overweight at all, and is a show as opposed to a working dog.  Often it is a case of dragging her out of the nice warm house into the cold and damp when all she seems to want is to stay in.
I really dont see it as a problem if she only gets a short walk on occasions.  I do make it up other days by taking her to the beach which is nearby for a much longer run.

If she seems happy and content, then I don't see a problem. But if your wife wants to take her out more, than thats ok too I would imagine! I would agree with everything Nicola says. Chloe is working strain, 9 months, and really needs a lot of exercise and stimulation, and if she doesn't get enough, I can really tell. All dogs are different, as everyone says  ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye