Author Topic: Your attention seeking cocker  (Read 4453 times)

Offline LisaB

Your attention seeking cocker
« on: February 10, 2009, 03:56:55 PM »
Angel is always attention seeking.  Sometimes I can't move for her.  She'll be up on the sofa, nudging me under my arm for cuddles, or there's a head on my knee, or a leaning against me and licking my hands or she offers me constant nice sits for attention, or gives me her paw or offers a belly up for rubbing, or brings me toys.

Does anyone try to stop this behaviour?  Should I make her go to her bed more?  What does everyone else do with this constant love?  Do you try to curtail it, or count your blessings that you live with a lovebug?

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
Re: Your attention seeking cocker
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:03:49 PM »
I think that my cockers are also very attention seeking! and to be honest i havent really noticed that it bothers me that much!!
Because they used to shut away all day ( with one visit at lunch) i would always fuss them and ensure i made a big deal when i was in the house on the evenings and therefore just accept the attention seeking.

I dont very often get the nudging, but i suppose that they know when im in a loving mood or in a i dont wanna be disturbed! most often 99% im just all for the love ! If it becomes too much ( but i love affection) then i just ignore and after 5 mins they get the message, i did try from the start to ensure i didnt have a cling on!!! although there is a difference i think between needy and attention seeking loving!
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline allylou

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »
definitely count my blessings  :luv:  :luv:
Ally, Marley & Wilbur x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 04:06:54 PM »
Misha does this too, especially when I'm working, she'll start nudging me with her nose - usually it starts just before we're due to go out for a walk or just before teatime, otherwise its simply because she wants to sit on my knee.  Not the easiest thing to do whilst working at a computer.  Most of the time I ignore it, or if it becomes too distracting I send her to bed.  Generally after that she will leave me alone.  Guess its up to the individuall, but I have read somewhere that its not good to keep giving them attention when they demand it, which is why I try to ignore if I can - most of the time she'll go to bed anyway.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:15:36 PM »
Bracken can be a bit like this and never saw it as a problem until the health visitor came round and Bracken kep trying to give her her paw.. i think the appointment took twice as long as it was suppose to  :005:

Some visitors she seeks attention from and some just don't seem to interest her...

Jasmine our other dog will just come and lay her head in your lap and look dolefully at you...
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:15:54 PM »
Mine are all over me at times and that's fine but I don't want it all the time and I don't want them jumping all over and harassing visitors to the house. If I point to their bed or their sofa and say 'bed' they'll settle down there with a toy or just go to sleep. Generally though if I'm busy or not in the mood to have my face licked I just ignore them and they wander off and amuse themselves, they're actually very good like that. At the moment I'm sitting at the computer in the bedroom and Tilly is snoozing on the sofa behind me and Rodaidh is pootering around the place annoying the cat :005:  We did only get back from a 2 hour walk about 40 minutes ago though. Much as I love playing with and cuddling them and we do plenty of it I wouldn't want them constantly hassling me for attention, it would drive me nuts and I think it's important for them to know how to chill out without me as well.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
Murphy is a nudger!  Maddi is starting to, I don't mind really unless it's the arm in holding a glass of wine with!!

With visitors Murphy sits on their feet until the pet him  :luv:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline woodlander

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 04:51:15 PM »
Sweep has a couple of very endearing traits! :shades:

If you are sitting reading the newspaper she will go up onto her back legs and then "bat down" the newspaper with her front paws as if to say "you are not paying me enough attention - pay attention to me dont' read that silly newspaper"! :005: :005:

She will also climb on top of you when sitting on the sofa and go "eye to eye" and "nose to nose"with you just to make sure you haven't forgotton her  :luv: :luv:

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 05:05:04 PM »
Chloe isn't too bad really. If I just ignore any unwanted demands on my time she soon gets the message and settles down, or amuses herself. She can be a bit OTT with visitors, but again, if I insist they ignore her, she soon settles. The trouble is, some visitors ignore my requests  >:( (sometimes I feel like banning said friends from the house - its just so annoying when I'm working so hard to get her to be calm  ph34r :005:)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 06:54:08 PM »
If I'm sat at the kitchen table on the laptop and henry wants attention he will get on his back legs, put one paw on the chair and with the other he will tap me on the shoulder!!! Like a human! It's so cute/annoying but it makes me laugh  :005:
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 06:57:01 PM »
Millie puts her front paws up on my lap so her head is blocking the tv  >:( >:( :005:.

Millie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 07:03:48 PM »
One of the reasons (there were many) that Bonnee was rehomed to us was that she was attention-seeking; and she sure does demand to be fussed in a way that Molo never has  :005:  She pulls at our hands with her paws, shoves her head under our forearms and hurls herself on her back across our laps, demanding that we tickle her tummy or stroke her ears  ::)

We have been quite tough on her; she does get loads of fuss and cuddles, but on our terms, and we decide when it stops and make sure she leaves us alone when we ask.  She whines pitifully when we ignore her, or stop fussing her and tell her to get off - but it is a lot less incessant than it was 18 months ago, and she will curl up, huffing, after a few minutes and watch you with puppy-dog eyes in the hope you will change her mind  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline mcphee

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:01:38 PM »
All Rufus's cocker girl friends do what you describe. His mother does too. When I was researching, before I brought Rufus home, I read a description about this behaviour in cocker bitches which some people find too much. Rufus seeks attention strictly on his terms. When he wants to be stroked or fussed, which is not that often, he uses a paw. If you stop before he wishes you to, he paws you, and occasionallly puts in a whine. The only time he has ever sat on my lap since he was a puppy is when we were round at a friend's and her large chocolate labrador tried to perform an unnatural act on him. He jumped up onto my lap and rammed his bottom against me! Each evening he sleeps downstairs in the lounge or his crate and then comes upstairs and jumps on the end of my bed. In the night he gets further and further up the bed so when I wake he is next to me. At present he is very fragrant in a cockerish way after several wet days, so I am quite pleased he is in an independent mood and sitting on the sofa opposite me.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 08:09:31 PM »
One of the reasons (there were many) that Bonnee was rehomed to us was that she was attention-seeking; and she sure does demand to be fussed in a way that Molo never has  :005:  She pulls at our hands with her paws, shoves her head under our forearms and hurls herself on her back across our laps, demanding that we tickle her tummy or stroke her ears  ::)

We have been quite tough on her; she does get loads of fuss and cuddles, but on our terms, and we decide when it stops and make sure she leaves us alone when we ask.  She whines pitifully when we ignore her, or stop fussing her and tell her to get off - but it is a lot less incessant than it was 18 months ago, and she will curl up, huffing, after a few minutes and watch you with puppy-dog eyes in the hope you will change her mind  :005:

Ditto for Lily. Krum aint too bad andf the lurchers demand FAR less attention thank god!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Roslyn McConnell

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 10:37:18 AM »
Awwww I loved when Dill did the nudging thing, he was soooooo cute! He would also wiggle his head under my arm so he was kinda getting a cuddle, one thing that would annoy me tho, is if I fell asleep infront of the fire I would wake up with him laying ontop of me drooling......not so nice!!!  :005:

If I was busy working and couldnt give him any attention he would stare at me for AGES then finally give up, walk to the other side of the room and throw himself down with a big hump, sigh loudly, then glare at me!  :005: