Author Topic: heartbroken....Charlie has gone......  (Read 7279 times)

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
Re: heartbroken....Charlie has gone......
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2009, 08:42:36 PM »

Archie has also become very clingy...not wanting to leave our sides when he's not watching out of the window and whining if someone goes out - I'm becoming worried that he's going to develop some separation anxiety or get himself very worked up when we have to go out.

Is there anything I can do to help him? Watching him like this is breaking my heart for a second time...all i want to do is make things better for him during this sad time. Would something like rescue remedy help when he gets worries about people leaving? Is there any other homeopathic remedies that might help him?

I'm going to take him back to our favourite walking spot today but he has become so unsure as he followed Charlie's lead - hopefully if we go slowly we can build his confidence back up.

Now that you have mentioned about Archie being clingy, I remember Paddy became the same after he lost his mammy. I remember leaving my voice recorder recording on several occasions when I had to go out for more than a couple of hours. I just wanted to check that he wasn't pinning and upset. Thankfully there was nothing on the recorder, so he was obviously settled when we were out. It was a bit like leaving a toddler at nursery for the first few times, they would be clingy and not wanting you to leave, then after a few days/week, they run off ahead of you to get there, if that makes sense  :-\

I did spend quite some time taking him with me where ever possible e.g. car....and tried hard to keep home life as much the same as before he suffered his losses such as, making sure he had access to rooms and areas that he would have normally. Although, he did go off his food for a couple of weeks.

Personally, I think our dogs grieve and need to just as we do  :'( only they can not express it the same as we do. I am not to sure about the rescue remedy, I have never used it, it may be worth a try if you think it may settle Archie a bit.

Good luck with taking Archie back on his walk, it certainly helped Paddy and it did cheer him up. He has never been one for mixing with other dogs and he used to take his mum's lead too. Anything is worth trying at the moment, including extra Archie cuddles  :luv:

You take care  :-*

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2009, 08:47:05 PM »
I am so sorry to read about your tragic loss.

Run free baby boy  :luv:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline LindyLou

« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2009, 06:15:47 PM »
I have only just read this and looked at all your pictures of gorgeous Charlie.

I can only imagine how heartbroken you are. He was a beautiful boy and you obviously loved him very much. Give yourself and Archie time to grieve and come to terms with what has happened. The pain of your loss will lessen in time.

I have lost 2 dogs within the last year and it's devastating. It is very tough particularly as Charlie was so young.

Be kind to yourself. No blame. You loved and treasured him whilst he was here.

Gentle hugs to you all.

Linda
X
Linda & Baxter

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2009, 11:50:08 PM »
Not the same, but I used emergency essence recently for a few days for my 3 before bringing our new adopted rescue in. I'm sure it helped as they were quite calm about it. Whereas when I brought my 2nd rescue in I didn't use anything and it was quite volatile.
I just added 7 drops to their drinking water, so it's worth a try. It won't do any harm.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2009, 07:28:40 PM »
I am so very, very sorry to read about Charlie. 

No one ever imagines, when they take on a little puppy, that one day they will experience such heartbreak and pain.

Hugs, and cocker kisses from Maureen, Freya and Luis. xxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline cfordham2710

• Donator
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2009, 08:22:43 PM »

I am so, so sorry to you and all your family.  What an awful with to happen.  My thoughts are with you xx