Author Topic: What Would You Do?  (Read 9763 times)

Offline Birtles

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« on: August 24, 2004, 02:11:07 PM »
I have just rang up about a dog I've seen advertised. 6mths old, selling due to going back to work full-time after maternity leave.  Dog is lovely/loyal etc (arn't they all) not spayed/neutered, microchipped but never registered,had 1st vacc but no more.  pretty much toilet trained (at what age are most toilet trained fully, thought it would be before 6mths, he has a place to wee inside house on cloth etc.......strange?)? not KC reg.
They said they got the dog from'dogsrus' from ireland originally, got all the papers etc.  what are your feeling about it, just wondering whether to go and see him or not.
anything you'd look out for.

scoobie

What Would You Do?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 02:43:35 PM »
Hi Birtles
My heart would say yes go and see him but my head would say no  ;) this poor little chap sounds as if he's come from dodgy ground no fault of his but if you haven't owned a dog before you need to think very carefully just what you would be taking on.. I mean the cloth on the floor for him to wee on whats that about?
people who have this poor little pup annoy the hell out of me the woman knew she was expecting so why buy a pup then find it's a nuisance now the new baby is here ..it's up to you and I would take my hat off to you for offering to give this pup a better chance but just be prepared because having a pup is damn hard work at the best of times :D
let us know what you decide
Edith  

Offline Birtles

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 03:07:07 PM »
Hi Edith
Your thinking exactly like me.  I want to go and see him but I know my heart will rule my head when I see the him.  Hmm this weeing on cloth is strange, they don't let him out unless its for walks, maybe they haven't got a garden etc? thinking the toilet habit could be hard to break, I would have thought at 6 mths he'd be outside for the toilet.
Ahhhhh I'm so confused, do I go and try or get a puppy which i train myself and know all the background etc..... suppose he'd be like a rescue puppy really.
mummmmmbbbbling on here  :unsure:  

scoobie

What Would You Do?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 03:11:51 PM »
Hi Birtles if you want to go it's up to you and like I said I really admire people who take on foster/rescue animals as long as you have the time patience to help this little guy then the balls in your court.. I know exactly how you feel but really can't tell you what to do
Edith

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
What Would You Do?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 04:11:02 PM »
Hi Birtles. I can see your prediciment, Id be wanting to home the wee lad myself without thought of the consequences :(

I guess you need to ask yourself have you got the time to take on an older pup whos obviously has problems before you make up your mind to go see him. The weeing habit can be broken pretty quickly but only if you can devote a whole lot of your day to him. The other thing is there are more puppy farms in Ireland then in Wales now. He probably has got "papers" but will mean nothing. My Gunnar was the same. Dont get me wrong he was the most wonderful dog but he came with a whole host of health problems mainly due to bad breeding and the "papers" were just a cover for a puppy farm.

Tough decision and Im so glad its not me having to make it

Caroline and Alfie

Offline Birtles

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 04:23:20 PM »
Well i haven't got loads of time because Ive got 2 children, although 1 returns to school in a few weeks but still have 1 all day........ but i do have time to take him outside every r to see if he needs the toilet etc.
If he was originally from a puppy farm it doesnt stop him needing a home does it..... 6mths seemed a better age than say 12 weeks because hes not so young like a baby.  Would like a a little more mature maybe from a rescue centre but they come with baggage that I can't trust with 2 children around.
well think my heart will rule here, let you know tomorrow if weve brought him home etc.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
What Would You Do?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 04:28:13 PM »
A puppy farm pup needs a good and loving home as much as any other pup, and maybe this little fella is about to find one :)

Look forward to tomorrow

Caroline and Alfie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
What Would You Do?
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 04:34:45 PM »
No the fact that in all likelihood this puppy comes from a bad background does not mean he doesn't deserve a good home but you must be fully committed to retraining this boy & be sure that you have the time to do this. A six month old that is not housetrained but "goes" on a cloth may take a long time to train to "go" outside as you have to undo everything he has been taught so far. In some respects, a 6 months old puppy might appear easier but in other ways he's an unknown quantity - you can't rely on what his current owners say about his temperament or his training as sadly people don't necessarily tell the truth when it comes to parting with their dogs. Good luck in your decision but as you have children, you do have to be careful for their sake.

Jane
Jane

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
    • http://www.DIDO.mypetpages.net
What Would You Do?
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »
:P Good luck, we could do with more people like you.  If you do decide to have that puppy, he will be one very lucky puppy to have someone like you to be his owner. Once again good luck and keep us informed as to what decision you make. :P  
DIANNE,CHRIS, BAILEY & EBONY
[http://www.dido.mypetpages.net

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 05:52:47 PM »
No the fact that in all likelihood this puppy comes from a bad background does not mean he doesn't deserve a good home but you must be fully committed to retraining this boy & be sure that you have the time to do this. A six month old that is not housetrained but "goes" on a cloth may take a long time to train to "go" outside as you have to undo everything he has been taught so far. In some respects, a 6 months old puppy might appear easier but in other ways he's an unknown quantity - you can't rely on what his current owners say about his temperament or his training as sadly people don't necessarily tell the truth when it comes to parting with their dogs. Good luck in your decision but as you have children, you do have to be careful for their sake.

Jane
I have to agree with everything that Jane has said!  Although I do find it very commendable if you do take this boy on, I think you have to go into this with your eyes wide open.  Not saying this will happen, but if you have bitten off more than you can chew, this boy may end being passed on and around, which will only cause him even more problems.

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 05:55:07 PM »
I would go to see him if I were you.  It may be love at first sight.  I have 2 cockers, Bess, who is now 12 years old, she was 6 months old when we got her.  She was difficult for the first few months, it's hard taking on a puppy of that age, but they do deserve loving homes so don't let the difficulty put you off.  My other cocker is Dillon who is 5 years old.  I got him in March of this year. I don't know the full story of his past but he is the most loving dog I could ever wish to have, he absolutely adoresme & that is soooo flattering. He has a few behavior problems (he's aggressive with other dogs) but I'm working on it.  

What I'm trying to tell you here is that rescue dogs are very very worthwhile & this one that you're thinking of getting is a rescue dog, although he's not in a kennel, his owners are parting with him & rehoming him is a kind of rescue.  

My advice is let your heart tell you what to do.  Good luck

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 06:03:20 PM »
Tough call!!  <_<   Like the others have said, if you've got the time and dedication go for it!!  I'd think it would be very hard work but he'll be better off with someoone who cares about him.  What kind of people get a pup and SELL it 4 months down the line :( .  I admit I know nothing about this family's situation but marternity leave coming to an end is not, in my book, an unforseen circumstance which leaves you no option but to rehome your dog.  I'd be sceptical about whether I was getting the true and full story if I were you  :rolleyes:  If they are asking for money for this dog they are more likely to gloss over any more serious problems with behaviour or health  :(  It's very different from getting a dog from a rescue centre where they are temperament tested, etc  ;)  
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
What Would You Do?
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 06:09:48 PM »
people who have this poor little pup annoy the hell out of me the woman knew she was expecting so why buy a pup then find it's a nuisance now the new baby is here ..

At first sight it may look like this is irresponsible, but we really shouldn't judge unless we know the full facts. The poor owner may never have planned on going back to work, but her family circumstances may have changed..and surely it is more responsible to rehome the dog than leave it home alone for hours on end? She may well be heartbroken having to part with her dog, and leave her new baby all at the same time :(

I have seen in person that training doggies to 'go' on paper or a cloth inside is common practice in the USA, and many training books and internet articles talk about it. There are more apartments with no easy garden acces over there so it makes more sense.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 06:29:04 PM »
people who have this poor little pup annoy the hell out of me the woman knew she was expecting so why buy a pup then find it's a nuisance now the new baby is here ..

At first sight it may look like this is irresponsible, but we really shouldn't judge unless we know the full facts. The poor owner may never have planned on going back to work, but her family circumstances may have changed..and surely it is more responsible to rehome the dog than leave it home alone for hours on end? She may well be heartbroken having to part with her dog, and leave her new baby all at the same time :(

I have seen in person that training doggies to 'go' on paper or a cloth inside is common practice in the USA, and many training books and internet articles talk about it. There are more apartments with no easy garden acces over there so it makes more sense.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Please bear in mind this pup has not even been given full vacinations either!!  So hardly a caring and responsible owner :mellow:    

Offline PennyB

What Would You Do?
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 06:39:01 PM »
I personally think that she got more than she bargained getting a cocker pup at this stage in the 1st place while she was pregnant. I do think some people think that puppy rearing is easy and then hormones kick in and dog gets worse than they bargained. Also not everyone does their breed research and see cute cocker must be lapdog (and yes I've heard it so so often and its not an isolated problem).

I also agree that not all advertisers are honest about the dog or the circumstances of rehoming.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!