Author Topic: What Would You Do?  (Read 9765 times)

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2004, 10:25:20 PM »
I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said but I just wanted to wish you luck in making your decision.  It's not an easy one to make but you must do what feels right for you and your family.

Best of luck.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
What Would You Do?
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2004, 11:00:46 PM »
I hope that this pup finds a forever home soon, as it is very sad when such young dogs have a bad start in life.

I am grateful every day for the fact that I have access to the internet, and this wonderful resource ,where I have met friends, and been given such great advice. It is easy to forget that not everyone has the necessary resources or ability to seek advice of experienced and knowledgable people; if not for COL I would have purchased a puppy through a classified ad; and probably would have been taken in by an unscrupulous 'dealer'  :angry:

I know that hearing about puppies and dogs who are not given the care and attention that they deserve makes us all mad; but sometimes, the people who are caring for these dogs really are doing the best they can.....I am sure that those with experience of rescue centres can think of examples.

I agree that ideally, a dog that need a new home should be given up willingly, rather than sold; obviously returning him to the breeder wasn't an option in this case.

I was also tempted by a 're-home' advert a few months ago, a six month old cocker x breed - and even chatted to the seller by e-mail who gave me the whole sorry story about her circumstances meaning she had to go back to work and she didn't want to leave the pup - but there was something about it that didn't quite sound right, I asked for a photo, and the poor little might was skin and bone, with bare patches of skin on her body - and desperate though I was to get her out of that situation, I knew I was not able to take her on.

I look forward to hearing how you got on

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline dog2

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2004, 08:39:40 AM »
We got Benji in 'dodgy' circumstances.The people who just didnt want him anymore when he reached 3 and a half and weighed 5 stones(yes you did read that right)couldnt tell the truth if their lives depended on it.out of 4 vets whos names they gave me,none had ever heard of Benji.They said they had papers but none ever surfaced and i wasnt even sure if he would be good with children or cats.But he was so big that i guessed he wouldnt be up to chasing them for a while at least!!When i first saw him i wasnt sure if i could take him on he was badly in need of a good clip and starting to get matted.He didnt have a collar and lead or a bowl or a bed,he had never been for walks just let out on the road for his own entertainment!They said he had had his puppy jabs but nothing since then.But the kids loved him on sight so we did take him and glad we did(on the whole)if he'd have stayed where he was he would have been dead from heart failure in 6 months or knocked over by a car.Its been a long hard slog to get the weight off him and still a way to go.He is a good dog with the kids and the cats(well our cats!)can be very stubborn and has had the occasional growl at me but has to have stict rules or he gets up himself,typical cocker really.But I reckoned that even if I couldnt manage him,which thankfully hasnt been the case,then at least he was out of there and i would have contacted cocker rescue to find him a better home.But he stayed with us and I,m glad now i did take him.I reckon at 6 months this cocker pup you are wondering about is young enough to mould and learn it will just take longer and more work for you than perhaps if you had him from scratch.If you do decide to take him then good luck to you he will more than likely grow to be a very loving loyal boy.....and get some pics up soon!!! :)

Offline Becky

• Site Member
    • http://
What Would You Do?
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2004, 03:20:01 PM »
I don't envy you this decision.  I'm not suggesting that you don't know about dogs, I'm sure you do, but is there any way you could take an 'expert' withyou when you go to see him?  Someone from your vet's pracice or training club.  A second opinion might help you to assess whether or not he is right for you.  Good luck with whatever you decide, it's a tough one!
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
What Would You Do?
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2004, 08:28:09 PM »
Good luck with the visit, I hope he is what you are looking for, sounds like he needs out of that home!!
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Birtles

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2004, 09:31:05 PM »
thankyou all for so many replies and advice....... well i never went to see him because I knew my heart would rule my head so i sent my husband instead with a list of things to check and ask, I stayed at home with the kids thought it was better to leave the kids at home because I didn't want us to be put in an awkward position etc.............. and guess what, he brought him home  :rolleyes:
His name is Luka or Luca, golden, rather tall i think but hes adorable and he doesn't seem to have any issues (yet).  Last night we put him in the kitchen at 11pm and didnt hear a peep out of him until we got up.  he is fantasic around the kids and other dogs/animals, been to the park a few times and his behaviour is superb, does pull on the lead but don't they all at 6mths. Doesn't bark at all just has the odd whine for a minute or two when we put him in the kitchen. He seems too good to be true right now, just hope this is it and hes not going to turn into a little devil in  afew days.  Well I've got loads of questions to ask regarding toilet training, how do get him to go in a certain place etc but think they are questions on another board, will need loads of advice over the coming months so hope to get to know you all more.  He came with papers that looked appauling think its 'pet lovers registration' he had no bed, no toys etc and they never let him out without them so thats why theytrained him to go inside, strange when they had a garden. He now has bed/toys/walks and a family.  When I work out how to upload images, I'll put him up. thanks again everyone  :P
Jayne

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
    • http://www.DIDO.mypetpages.net
What Would You Do?
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2004, 09:34:05 PM »
:P brilliant he is one lucky little boy bet he loves you all already bless him :P  so pleased for you and for luca.xxxxx :P  :P  :P  :P  
DIANNE,CHRIS, BAILEY & EBONY
[http://www.dido.mypetpages.net

lynseyloo

What Would You Do?
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2004, 09:36:25 PM »
:lol: knew he'd be coming home, just had a feeling..  ;)  congrats on finding your babes.. they are treasures and so grateful of the new chance.  My Jessie is so loyal and loving to us, but then she was from the moment I set foot in the previous owners house, wouldn't leave mine or hubbys lap  :lol:  :rolleyes: once again congrats!  :)

edited to add..Jessie is rather tall aswell   ;)  

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2004, 09:36:57 PM »
:) Ohh Jayne, thats lovely news!  Welcome to your new loving home Luca.

I am sure everything will work out just fine, you seem to be willing to put all the effort in, and you have come to the right place for advise!

Best of luck with him, he sounds like a really lovely doggie :wub:  I look forward to seeing his pictures.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
What Would You Do?
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2004, 09:40:02 PM »
Congrats on the new arrival......hope all continues to go well!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2004, 09:43:36 PM »
Hi Jayne I'm so pleased for you he sounds a realy lovely boy. :)

Can't wait to see the piccies of your new arrival. :)  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2004, 09:57:30 PM »
Sounds like things have worked out really well, Jayne.  Am so glad that Luka is now in a home where he will be loved and cared for  :) .  I hope you have many happy years together.  Look forward to seeing the pics - am sure he is just gorgeous  :)  
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2004, 10:02:00 PM »
Am delighted to hear that everything is going so well :D .  Can't wait to see the pictures.  Well done you, giving this boy such a loving home.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
What Would You Do?
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2004, 10:12:31 PM »
Jayne Im so pleased to hear that its all going well and that Luka has a good home with you and yours. :)

Keep on asking the questions, there is a wealth of experience here in the forums

Caroline and Alfie

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2004, 10:26:23 PM »
Congratulations Jayne!  :D

If you ever need to chat drop me a line. I got Toby at 6 mths too (he's golden as well) and had to start from scratch with toilet training, lead training so on...with time it will fall into place.

Can't wait to see some pictures  :D

Kelly x