Author Topic: Fate? or is it too soon to even be thinking about this?  (Read 5910 times)

Offline Charlie & Jasper

• Jasper the village idiot
Fate? or is it too soon to even be thinking about this?
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:40:39 AM »
This may be a long post so I understand if you don't read it all...as many of you know we lost our beloved Charlie at the weekend...

We had always said that the next cocker spaniel we would get would be a blue roan boy - we had fallen in love with the breed and seen a few blue roans and loved the colour.

Charlie's breeder was someone we have always kept in touch with over they year we have had him, updating them with pictures and meeting up for the occaisional walk so Charlie could meet his mum and all their other cockers. Last time we saw them they happened to mention Charlies mum was expecting at the beginning of March but not thinking about having another dog at the time we thought nothing of it.

We rang them on Sunday to let them know what had happened to our boy and after a long conversation with them my mum asked how Charlie's mum was and they told us she had had 6 pups at the beggining of March and with the same sire as Charlie (his younger brothers and sisters). The litter was of 5 black with one blue roan boy. They asked if we wanted to come and see them and the mum and have a look at them and just go and see them and talk to them about Charlie to try and help us through the pain.

So yesterday I went to see the pups feeling very aprehensive about whether it would make me more upset or not. I arrived and sat on the floor watching them play with each other, and within 30 seconds the little blue boy clambered up onto my knee and sat and looked at me - I felt then a happiness that relieved the pain for just a moment of losing Charlie.

Currently he is only 5 weeks and so it would be another 3 weeks until we could bring him home but what I suppose I am asking is whether it's too soon? I just feel this huge hole in my life at the moment - the house isn't the same, Archie isn't the same and the laughter and love Charlie brought to our family had diminished. I could never even think of replacing Charlie as he was a one in a million but by having a blue roan little brother of his it may start to help bring all the happiness back into our lives. Archie would love the company back and we are more than prepared for the puppy stage again.

What do you think - is it too soon? Is it fate - Charlie bringing us his little brother to love and care for and make us happy again? I am going to see him again on Saturday to make sure of my feelings but wanted to ask your advice and find out your experiences.

Thank you everyone for all your support over the last few days...it has been without doubt a lifeline through these dark times, you are all so lovely and kind - thank you from me, archie and the rest of my family  :luv: 
Charlie 27.01.08 - 04.04.09

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
Re: Fate? or is it too soon to even be thinking about this?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »
Your post was definitely from the heart, you can tell.  I am sat reading this with tears going down my face. 

Yes I believe it is fate. 

If it were me, then yes I'd go for it.  A little bit of Charlie will always be with you  :-*

What a beautiful post, good luck. 

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:47:34 AM »
I say that if it feels right go for it - you will always love and miss Charlie, and having a brother of his will remind you of him but he will be an entirely different little dog.

What Charlie has done has put that Cocker shaped hole in your heart (as Bluegirl put it in another thread) - it's because he was such a wonderful and precious dog that you will always have cocker spaniels, and it's a wonderful tribute to him that you want to another in your lives  :luv: :luv: :luv:

What I will say is give it one more week to make sure you are 110,000 percent positive  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline x-x-kinzii-x-x

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:48:41 AM »
wow, deffo a big bit of fate- or a very very very wierd bit of coincidence! it seems as though the blue boy knew you needed him, hehehehe how corney! i think you should go for it, it seems too perfect to pass up on it! i know it sounds funny but maybe your charlie is up there making this happen for you, maybe there is even a lil' bit of him in that lil blue boy? o dear that does sound so weird! but if you believe it tht kind of stuff, it makes sense, he would want you to be happy!

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:54:27 AM »
I agree with the others, i think it is definitely fate, ;)  its as if Charlie is sending you another little boy to heal that Cocker shaped hole in your heart and you will always of course have very special memories of a very special boy Charlie  :luv: :luv:
keep us updated :-*

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »
You are not replacing Charlie, but filling the massive big hole he has left, with a little Blue Boy, very close to Charlies heart, if it feels right for you, then in my opinion it is right, I dont think your little Man would like to see his Mummy sad for any length of time  :luv: :luv:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline LizH

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 12:07:04 PM »
I read your posting regarding Charlie's accident with such sadness and then I read this and was filled with a warm glow.

I understand your concern - I don't have personal experience as Pebble is my first dog ... :luv:

but maybe imagine how you would feel if you decided not to take him - would you feel regret ...and always wonder ...
then imagine how you would feel having made the decision to have him - would you feel excited or that you had made the wrong decision ...

When you see him on Saturday maybe put yourself in both situations and that will help you clarify your feelings.

All the very best in whatever you decide.

Liz x

Liz and Pebble x

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:10 PM »
I'd go for it too, if you feel ready. My Sasha was born the day after my old girl died.
It was 11 weeks later when we got her, but boy did she fill a huge hole in our lives.
He won't replace Charlie, he can't and will probably be totally different. You will love him for who he is. Good luck.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Roslyn McConnell

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:37 PM »
I always say to people 'go for the pup that choses you' because that will be the dog that will fit into ur life from day one, now I dont know if it is fate or if it just shows a better more confident 'puppy personality' if the pup climbs up to you, but all I know that everyone who has taken on a pup that picks them never regretts it.

Thats how I ended up with  my blue roan Dill, he sat on my lap and refused to budge and then even tried to follow me when I was leaving, I was ten and I wanted a golden or red but Dill just seemed to warm to me in a way the others I visited didnt and Im soooooooo glad I took him home cause he was the absolute perfect dog for me.

You will never replace or forget Charlie, every dog is completely different and every dog changes us in a different way, so if u feel ready then go for the pup, it sounds as though its what you want but are holding back from guilt of 'replacing charlie', but you have no reason to feel guilty.....its impossible to just 'replace' a dog u loved. This pup is a different wee being, remember that.  :luv:

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
I definitely believe in fate and that everything happens for a reason. I agree with Helen though just take a bit more time just to make 100% sure that it's right for you. It would be so lovely though for something positive to come from all the sadness and I'm shore Charlie would be happy what ever your decision.  :luv:
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline stormer

• Jovi and Alfie
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 12:16:04 PM »
Hi i read your post the other day about charlie and was so sad, then read this today and tears rolled down my face , i believe it is fate , go for it girl,  xxx keep us posted on your decision xx
Angie..Jovi & Alfie xxx

Offline emderpenguin

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 12:17:26 PM »
Only you know if it's too soon.

I've not lost a dog, but I have re-homed my german shep pup to a close friend with more experience as he was taking the mick out of us. It was only a couple of months after that I heard about Pepper's breeder having another litter (a friend has one of his other dogs) and it was hard to take the risk of another pup after only recently admitting I couldn't deal with the one I'd just re-homed.

But I took the chance, and she's the best thing that's happended to us since getting Kye.

Offline hails

• My babies Bella and Ellie
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 12:21:26 PM »
i think this has to be fate! i think you should go for it.

you can never replace Charlie but like others have said he wouldnt want you upset and lonely.

xx
Hayley, Stu, Bella and Ellie xx

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 12:23:27 PM »
I would definitely have him.  We got Bramble and Beri at 8 weeks when our old boy Bracken was still alive but 13 years old and not in brilliant health....looking back the pups probably hastened his going but they were 5 months old when he died.  We were very upset but having the two pups helped us so much.   Our cottage is not the same when its a "cocker free" zone.   The boys are at work with my husband today and although a bit of peace and quiet is nice I miss their cute little faces  :luv:

I hope you do get him........we can not replace the dogs we have lost but we can give the same love and companionship to others and eventually build up that same relationship.  I could not imagine our lives without a cocker around now.  :luv:
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 12:29:52 PM »
I believe in fate - It sounds like he has chosen you  :luv: This new pup has a link with your beloved Charlie which is lovely - If you feel ready go for it !!
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo