Author Topic: Fate? or is it too soon to even be thinking about this?  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Fate? or is it too soon to even be thinking about this?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 12:34:14 PM »
I don't believe in fate. At the risk of sounding a little too like that crazy lady in Terminator, 'fate' is what you make of life and what you make happen. So if it still feels right for YOU on Sat.... go for it.  :-*

I lost my 6yr old golden cocker 2 years ago, he suddenly became very ill and died 10 days after his first symptom. He was my first dog and had been with me though all the biggest mile stones of my life and really was a dog in a million.. When I realised he was dying, I KNEW I could never have another dog, let alone a cocker as nothing would come close to him. A week after he died, I couldn't stand being without a dog and went on a manic frenzied mission to find a reasonably well bred cocker to fill that gap. After about a million phone calls and emails, I found Dave the same week ph34r (then also 5 weeks old) - he was quite a long way away but that was irrelevant. Anyway, project Dave put a quick plaster on the very sore mind numbing grief and obviously kept me very busy too :lol: When he was 4 months old, I took on my rescue Weimaraner too and between them they've seriously sorted me out :lol: Be prepared for a different experience though, over the two years I've had Dave, he's wormed his way very firmly into our hearts but he's not at all like my first cocker and my relationship with him is very different. However... boy am I glad I didn't wait ;)

Go with your heart and do what you need to do, it will be the right thing ;) :-* :-*

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 12:36:37 PM »
Fate - the little pupster chose you, although he will never replace Charlie he will help you all through this terrible time I'm sure.  Charlie would want you to be happy  :luv:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline LinzB

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 12:42:21 PM »
Only you know what is right, but it seems a bloomin big coincidence!!  :lol: I wish you luck in whatever you decide and to loads of photos if you do go for him!  ;)

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 12:57:28 PM »

Whatever feels right for you is not wrong...i only waited a week after my old dog died before looking for another ...i didn't intend it that way  :huh: like Hannah i told myself i would never have another dog as the pain of losing them  was so great  :'(  but a week of walking into an empty house was more than i could bear and although i was still heartbroken about my old dog it did ease the pain a little and gave me something to focus on  ;) you never forget the one that has gone to the bridge  :'(  :luv: but if you can give another dog the same life and the same love then why not  ;)
I really do wish you luck in your decision  :-*

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 01:08:16 PM »
Really hope this works out for you. I got Jet very quickly after I lost Barney. For me it was a case of trying to bring Barney back and Jet was totally different. Saying that I grew to love Jet very much and was heartbroken to lose him. For me losing two in such a short time I know I couldn't cope with a new pup right now. But my two girls are here and they have each other for company too. Only you know what is right for you (and Archie). As others have said just be prepared that your new boy will be different from Charlie. That said I can't imagine how any cocker lover could fail to fall in love with a new pup. :luv: :luv:

Offline black taz

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 01:10:58 PM »
only you can decide, but my feeling would be that if it wasnt meant to be, the pup would have already been reserved by someone else (knowing how difficult it can be to get exactly what you want).

Good luck with whatever you decide. 

Offline eljaybee1956

• Site Member
  • Dad's busy...Can I take your message?
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »
No not really (too soon to be thinking about it). In your heart of hearts YOU will know if the time is right. Seems as though the pup chose you and not the other way around. As he is a blue roan, I'd say GO FOR IT!....shame he hasn't got a bit of tan thrown in there as well (Jeeves is a blue roan and tan).
To keep the connection to Charlie, should you decide on the puppy, you could always call him Chaplin.  :shades:
"Cockers are LOVE on four paws, & LOVE comes in many colours" - Carol Lee DAWSON (Breeder)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 02:02:45 PM »
You are nopt trying to replace Charlie or hoping he will be the same dog so I say go for it.  :-*
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline babycavlove

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 02:03:14 PM »
Im sorry to hear about your loss, i dont think its too soon at all and i think you are just feeling guilty that you may be trying to replace him....you arent trying to replace him at all. It would be a wonderfull tribute to him that you want another at all- if he wasnt so wonderful in your eyes you wouldnt have such a whole in your life right now. I think its fantastic that this pup would be a relation of his...doesnt mean they would be alike but what a nice thought. Go for it, im sure you wont regret it.....you will be far to busy!!!!!! Good luck!!
Oh by the way can you take a camera with you when you visit ;)

Carrie, Cooper, Pippa, Arnold and my special little girl Phoebe!!xxxxxxxx

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 02:11:06 PM »
When we lost out first dog Benson, I wanted to curl up and make the world go away, the pain was so intense and the fear of loss kept us from owning another dog for 5 years!!!! Then one day as my son was doing the usual, if we get another dog, what sort of dog would it be, conversation followed by a look online was amazingly followed by a phonecall to a lady very close who just happened to have black lab pups ready to go the next day!!! We picked the name Harvey that night and went to P@H on the way to collect him. Withn two months we had decided on a second dog and looked into various breeds before making our cocker choice and again had the name Lilly chosen long before we got her. (p.s she is Blue Roan and I totally know where you are coming from.

Any way the point to my very long (sorry) story is that we were to scared to face loss again and missed out on the joys of dof ownership, I regret not getting another dog sooner, and will NEVER be without a dog again!!

I have cried along with you over your loss, and look forward to sharing the joy of a new addition whether it be now or a bit later. Good Luck!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »
I got Brodie fairly soon after losing Barney (she was born two days before he died :'(), for me it definitely helped with the grieving process. In saying that, I did go through some conflict at the thought of ‘replacing’ him, but I do not regret making that choice - she is so different to Barney and has a completely different personality that I know she could never be seen as a ‘replacement.’

I think only you can know if it is the right time for you to get a new pup, think it through carefully.  It does seem like an amazing coincidence though :shades:

I’d also like to say again how very sorry I am for your loss, I can’t imagine how difficult this has all been for you :-*

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 02:28:38 PM »
I say that if it feels right go for it - you will always love and miss Charlie, and having a brother of his will remind you of him but he will be an entirely different little dog.

Agree with Helen.  It does sound like fate but only you can decide if you are ready to have another cocker or not  :-\ 

Good luck whatever you decide  :-*
Julie and Watson

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 02:50:44 PM »
Only you can know if it's the right time and the right puppy. I don't think there's such a thing as too soon, it just depends on how you feel and, as everyone else has said, you're not replacing Charlie. From what you've said I think you feel comforted that potential new pup is related to Charlie, but you're not expecting him to be the same as Charlie, which is good.

You've still got a couple more days before Saturday, so just take each day at a time and try not to think about it too much (difficult I'm sure). Getting a new pup is always a big decision and I think we all have doubts, wondering if what we're doing is right. So you're going through that as well as grieving for Charlie, which must be very, very difficult.

Good luck with your decision and whatever it is, don't look back afterwards and say what if.......

Offline Charlie & Jasper

• Jasper the village idiot
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 03:12:28 PM »
Thank you everyone for all your kind and very wise words.  :luv:
I am taking everyday as it comes and will definately not rush into the decision - just taking on a new puppy is as you say a massive thing in itself let alone at this time.

I do feel comforted that he will be related to Charlie - and I fully expect him to be different in his own way, there is nothing I would want less than to try and replace Charlie (why i couldn't have another black one for the moment) but I do want to try and fill the empty space in my heart and the house and as you say it is definately a cocker shaped hole!

I will go on Saturday with a clear mind and go with how I really feel both from the head and the heart and how the rest of the family feel - plus what we think is best for Archie (who is THE most important thing in my life and my mind right now - i would hate to do anything to upset him).

Thank you again all you lovely COLers - I promise to take my camera on Saturday.

To keep the connection to Charlie, should you decide on the puppy, you could always call him Chaplin.  :shades:

eljaybee I will suggest this to the rest of the family  :luv:
Charlie 27.01.08 - 04.04.09

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 03:19:38 PM »
I'm a firm believer in fate, and also believe that the best medicine for a broken heart comes in puppy sized packages.

It wont ever replace Charlie - it wont stop you thinking about him, or remembering all the good things about him - but it will be a really lovely diversion.  :luv: :luv:

PURDEY AND LUNA <3