Author Topic: would like advice on puppy  (Read 8588 times)

Offline Scoonesey

would like advice on puppy
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:39:24 PM »
evening all,

have been looking around ever website going and are narrowing down what we would like i.e. working cocker or a show cocker, (due to size) apperciate they are different however we want a dog/puppy we can walk, run with and when we do finally have a family- 2yrs or more... will be social appreciate its all to do with what you introduce it too when little as to how it acts and training etc but you see so many people who give dogs up because of this and thats something i want to avoid. so my question is - what do you think would be suitable?we have discussed colour and sex - either solid black or black with a white bib and a bitch. would be looking for jul/aug time when we will have time off to settle the dog in.

so if you have a view on  - if we had kids would a worker be to much, if we had a show would it be suitable for running etc???????   

would love to hear your views

many thanks 

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: would like advice on puppy
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:22:57 PM »
Have moved this to General Discussion as you're really looking for general advice at the moment. Once you've made your decision, you can then post again asking for breeder recommendations for your area :blink:
Jane

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 08:31:51 AM »
We have a busy family life, and take part in agility, heelwork to music and long distance hiking with our show cockers - after 20 miles, Bonnee was hurtling round the garden on Sunday - they are definitely very active and social  :shades:

I would recommend show cockers unless you have a definite plan to train the dog to "work" in some way (not necessarily in the field, but a definite intent to take part in some form of structured training).  Responsibly bred working cockers are not bred with their ability to fulfil the role of a family pet in mind, and selective breeding can lead to dogs with a very high demand for mental stimulation and continuous training  ;)

You need to consider whether you will be able to meet the needs of a working strain dog if the dog you pick turns out to have a high "working drive", particularly as you plan to change your lifestyle significantly during the dogs life by starting a family.  Of course, the demands of any dog can be hard to meet in the first few months of parenthood (and as a baby grows into a toddler, too) - but if you chose a working strain, then you add that additional risk to the equation  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline mcphee

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 08:59:07 AM »
I love my dog and would never give him up. But he does come from almost entirely working background, and my first 2 years with him were not easy, for the reasons set out in the last post. It would have been extremely difficult with a young family for the last two years.(He is now 4 and the hunting instinct has not reduced, but much training has meant I do not wait for as long as I used to for him to return). I could not easily have run with him, so I gave up jogging. I fostered children for a year and found even with older ones the exercise and routine needs of the dog were difficult to fit in. If I was starting from now I would have done very different and time consuming training with him. I would still have got a worker, because my children are grown up and I do not work, and I love his character. However, if I was starting out I would have got a show strain bitch, very carefully selecting an experienced breeder and researching the parents. I did not have COL . You are really lucky!

Offline M4ndy

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:17:50 PM »
I have a 5 month old black show type bitch as well as 2 children who are 4 and 8 months. My husband shoots and although I would like to do some 'work' with her at some point her main job is as a family pet. I am really glad I went for a show type as so far it is going really well. I don't think that I would have coped with the drive that some workers have along with the kids. Having said that Jasmine is up for anything and I'm sure she would run all day if I let her but she is quiet in the house which is perfect for me.

Offline Scoonesey

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 04:32:21 PM »
Thanks all!!

i think your right about show, we want a dog that CAN be enegetic but also calm on the other side of things when need be, its just i had a springer when young and we liked the look of a worker due to its build and coat.
I walked my sisters dog cam today and saw a few show types - but there so........ different...!!! i love the look of m4ndy dog on profile but theres so many different show types and i dont know how you go about getting the right one you have m4ndy dog (which we like) then there are the droppy eye'd show dogs (not being rude but not sure how to describe properly) are these different breeds of show or does it depend on the dame and sire?

any names and numbers off show breeders you recommend would be welcome  (if your still reading and haven't been offended by my baffeling) have looked on kennel club and will prob ring a few this weekend.

One more thing im due an op aug/sep, mike my other half should be off for first few weeks but would it be better to get one before or after? I will be able to walk etc as its 'just' jaw surgery (im sure i wont say 'just' at the time), i will prob be bed riden for first few days but thought if we have had it a few months before we should be into a routine by then, any thoughts..?

thanks for all the other advice ;)

Offline BabyB

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »
Thanks all!!

i think your right about show, we want a dog that CAN be enegetic but also calm on the other side of things when need be, its just i had a springer when young and we liked the look of a worker due to its build and coat.
I walked my sisters dog cam today and saw a few show types - but there so........ different...!!! i love the look of m4ndy dog on profile but theres so many different show types and i dont know how you go about getting the right one you have m4ndy dog (which we like) then there are the droppy eye'd show dogs (not being rude but not sure how to describe properly) are these different breeds of show or does it depend on the dame and sire?

any names and numbers off show breeders you recommend would be welcome  (if your still reading and haven't been offended by my baffeling) have looked on kennel club and will prob ring a few this weekend.

One more thing im due an op aug/sep, mike my other half should be off for first few weeks but would it be better to get one before or after? I will be able to walk etc as its 'just' jaw surgery (im sure i wont say 'just' at the time), i will prob be bed riden for first few days but thought if we have had it a few months before we should be into a routine by then, any thoughts..?

thanks for all the other advice ;)
Hello

I didn't know you were on this site  :D

Well you know what Henry and Katie are like - chalk and cheese, and both are show types.

Others on here are very knowledgable about workers, as we've never had any.  But I would have thought a springer was not far off (energy wise) than a worker.

Kerry  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline Scoonesey

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 05:12:26 PM »
It is... been looking around and seen a few show i like now.......on its a springthing too very good info wise

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 06:42:33 PM »
I think droopy eyes are inherited from parents so to get some sort of idea of what puppy you'd like it would be best to see the parents.   If droopy eyes aren't inherited, maybe someone more knowledgeable about this could reply.   Good luck with your puppy search.    :D

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »
I had a show cocker when my daughter was a baby, he was about 6 months when she was born. He was a toal nightmare for 2 years, he was called Chewy, need I say more!! We got him a playmate, another show type, and he is totally different. He is so lazy its unreal, he's never really played, and gets his kicks from sleeping, and stealing Smarties pigs ears! When I lost Chewy, I got Smartie, whos a working type, and I have to say she has been perfect from day one. She has 3 walks a day, and is always belting around off her lead..but in the house she is as good as gold. As long as I am in the room with her she will lie down quietly. She is fantastic with my little Neice, who was born when Smartie was one. She is so gentle, and would never take anything from her. Although she would quite happily run her over for the ball outside!!
Sorry for my ramblings, my point being, every single cocker, working or show is totally different, and I honestly don't think you ever get 2 the same.
Good luck, we want piccies!!! 

Good luck with the op too, if you do get her before you'll prob find she senses she needs to be gentle with you, and will just cuddle!!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:16:13 PM »

I have a (mainly) working cocker, and I wouldn't swap her for the world.  I think I prefer the working cocker to the show cocker, and I think she suits us better than a show line dog would have done.  We didn't know we were getting a Worker, and didn't know anything about them till we joined here, but in a way I'm glad, as we probably wouldn't have got our dog!

However, if (when) we get another, unless it is a rescue, we would get a show cocker.  We were so lucky that Honey doesn't have as high a working drive as some workers have, and we are able to meet her needs through training (obedience and agility at the minute!).  But some Workers just aren't as suited to a non-working life, and I wouldn't want to take that risk with another dog. 

All dogs are individuals - you will get laid-back workers and highly active shows, but on balance you are more likely to get a very active dog with a Worker (and potentially one that needs to be on the go all day long!), than you are with a show bred Cocker.  Show Cockers can develop the stamina etc needed for all kinds of activities - agility, running etc - it really is just a matter of training them up for it!
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Scoonesey

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
im convienced, its just showing the other half all your comments when he gets home. have copy and pasted loads of pics off here to help him see the different types (will hate me when he gets home). we do work however i would come home lunches but he is on about taking dog to work. how old until you can take a dog for a proper walk as i know you cant for quite a while but not sure how long it actually is. i see what you mean about rescue and we have considered and dont rule it out -  if the right dog comes along, then we dont mind. its just if and when..! been wanting one for nearly a year just never been right time but now it is/can be....

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 07:15:42 AM »
You can't take it out for a walk til its had its second lot of vaccinations. Normally 10-14 weeks.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 08:16:19 AM »
If you've had a springer in the past and you prefer the look of the working cockers then I can't see any reason why an active worker can't be part of your family. As long as you understand what characters the 2 dogs are then you would be going in with your eyes wide open.

I prefer the look of show cockers and I've been blessed with extremely lazy ones and very active ones and same could be said for a worker. If you are a firm handler who knows what you want from a dog then you can mould them to suit your lifestyle imho.

I've always done a lot of serious running, not so much now due to injuries but I can still get about but I gave up going running with my cockers years ago as I found they were only up for slower than 7 min miles (which at the time I was running much faster than this and the dog was slowing me down) and less than 5 miles (which again was shorter than I wanted to go) at my sort of pace. If you do decide to run your dog will need to be at least 1 yr old anyway to cope with the demands.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline julesph

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
Why not have a look at the breed rescues and rescue a dog of either working or show type?  There are plenty in rescue - puppies as well as adults.  This is a far better way to get your lovely new dog.