Author Topic: would like advice on puppy  (Read 8592 times)

Offline Scoonesey

Re: would like advice on puppy
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 05:53:12 PM »
i registered with cythia of cocker rescue aswell as nessr christmas time but not heard anything back so its just a wait and see... 

Offline M4ndy

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 06:23:44 PM »
I didn't like the droopy eye thing either  ph34r. I was just careful to choose parents who didn't have it, although obviously health and temperament are more important.

Offline Scoonesey

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 09:55:01 PM »
ok so i rang a breeder tonight from getting details of the web - ***link to breeder website removed** thought her dogs looked beautiful (what we are looking for in the parents) and the previous litter looked lovely but how do you know if they are ok etc? i thought she seemed fine i asked questions and she did back regarding do i know what i am getting myself into, meeting her dogs to see there temperment etc (litter not arrived yet due this week so she will be in touch).... but sent a friend the link and she thinks puppy farm?!??! How do we find out - apart from going up there?! long way to go to be disappionted IF it happens...

Any ideas?

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »
Theres absolutely no mention of health testing at all, did you ask this as this would be my first question?

What are you looking for, a show type or working?   I wouldn't be looking at the free ads at all, if its a show type you're after have you tried your local cocker spaniel breed club?

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 10:11:40 PM »
Heres the link for the breeder listing from COL which may help you as well.   

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/cgi-bin/addrbook.cgi?LT=S&Password=

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 10:20:07 PM »
Hi, i have taken a look at their website and my feeling is that they are not puppy farming, just breeding their family pets, that said I wouldn't buy a pup from them as they are not health tested, if they had gone to that expense they would be telling you about it, also they state they don't vaccinate their puppies as at 6 weeks they are too young they state vaccs should be given at 8 and 10 weeks (or around about) they are correct on both counts but are they then suggesting they let them go at 6 weeks???? thats the impression I got. The breeding between show and working is very mixe too not that this is a bad thing I would just personally go for a pup where I knew what I was getting show or worker. This is just my opinion, good luck in your search ;)
Just to add reputable breeders do advertise in the free ads too just remember to check for kc reg, health tests and parentage ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 10:26:06 PM »
This was the impression I got from the website:

They were breeding from their family pets, no sign of health tests, how many litters have the bitches had?
Sounds like they let them go at six weeks
Not very professional really
I wouldn't choose them to buy a puppy from

Just my opinion

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 10:38:09 PM »
They seem like they just breed from their pets -  health testing is not mentioned,  sire is show x worker -  (not a bad thing but I think breeding should be to enhance the breed and I can't see in this case how that is happening) so no I wouldn't get a puppy from them however nice they are  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Scoonesey

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 10:49:10 PM »
Jeanette -  Thanks have e-mailed the breeder in stoke on trent who deals with solid colours - have asked if he has litters or knows of anyone near our area. 

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 10:56:38 PM »
Jeanette -  Thanks have e-mailed the breeder in stoke on trent who deals with solid colours - have asked if he has litters or knows of anyone near our area. 

If thats the area you're looking in try contacting Cheshire Cocker Spaniel Club  http://www.cockerspaniel-info.org.uk/clubs.htm and ask about any litters in the area.    :D

Offline sappho

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 09:36:30 AM »
We have a working cocker and he has never really been overly energetic  :005:  He is very laid back and only has the occasional "mad half hours"  and he is not worked, just walked daily.  We have a 2 year old and he is very good with him.  I really think every dog is an individual.  He is a very big size for a cocker though.  Good luck with finding the perfect pup.

Offline Scoonesey

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 07:29:27 PM »
thanks sappho - was your dog a proper ftch pedigree? i want a dog forever not just until a family comes and it is in the way so we get rid - thats the only reason i want to get it right...

Offline sappho

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
thanks sappho - was your dog a proper ftch pedigree? i want a dog forever not just until a family comes and it is in the way so we get rid - thats the only reason i want to get it right...

It is great you are doing lots of research to make an informed decision.  Yes he has a 5 generation ftch pedigree.   Although in consideration he does have hip displacement so maybe thats why he is not overly energetic, although in all honestly I think it is just the type of dog he is, he prefers to snooze... :005:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 11:55:42 AM »
Good luck with your search!

I've had two show types and both have been able to do a lot of exercise but the first was an unstoppable crazy (very loveable) boy with a very full on hunt drive and the second is a lot more laid back, I tell you this just to highlight that there can be a big variation in energy levels even within same type dogs and even dogs from the same litter.

You asked a question about when they can get out for proper walks earlier too and this is something that I find very hard with puppies! We have a very active lifestyle I have a 4 month old baby at the moment and we still do about 5-6 miles a day, it's more when I'm not so restricted and at the weekends when I have help :lol: However, puppies can't do an awful lot for the first year until their bones and joints mature or you risk long term damage and problems later in life. The rule of thumb is about 5 mins of exercise for every month of age - so a 4 month old pup can have 20 mins of gentle exercise say twice a day - no long hikes though (or you can just pop them into a rucksack like I used to do ph34r ph34r ph34r.

I had my first child when my first cocker was a year old. I'd made sure he'd had lots of contact with children and very consistent firm but kind training from us and he took the baby very easily and was absolutely bomb proof with kids all his life :luv: Different dogs will be react differently to children but careful handling and exposure to children very early on will be a good start and go a long way to helping your dog adjust when you have children of your own. Additionally, by the time your baby is moving around the dog has had a good chance to get used to it and it's usually not a big deal  :luv: It's MUCH better to get a pup before you have children than try and manage a pup with small children around!

Good luck, keep us posted!
Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Scoonesey

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 08:03:26 PM »
updated - found a breeder in dorset - working cocker, not docked as for sale as family pets asked all health testing questions, meeting the damn and sire on saturday along with pups - am i excited - yes - is it saturday yet?   :D