Author Topic: Yoga dogs...?  (Read 846 times)

Offline grab

Yoga dogs...?
« on: June 15, 2009, 05:23:39 PM »
How bendy are other people's puppies...?

The reason I ask is that Alice, our 7-month-old puppy, seems to be more cat than dog when it comes to how she's built.  For starters, she does the cat thing of flopping so she hinges in the middle when you pick her up, whereas most dogs are a fairly solid lump.  But her hips also rotate so that she can stand completely vertical - not with slightly-bent back legs like most dogs that rear up, but fully erect.  Of course she can't balance like that, but it's a bit odd that she can do it at all.

And most puzzling of all, her back legs seem to be able to do full splits.  She doesn't stick them out sideways like a gymnast would, but she'll often lie on the floor with her knees out at 90 degrees to her body and her tummy fully on the floor.  And when she sits, especially if the floor's a bit slippery like on tiles, she'll usually have her back feet stuck out to the side instead of tucked underneath.

She was quite bow-legged when we got her as a puppy.  That seems to have got better as she's got older, but she still seems to be very flexible.  How normal is this?  We're not really worried about it or anything - just curious about how common it is.

Judi and Alice.  Add them together and divide by two, and they're a pair of normal spaniels.  Individually they're one fragile and over-intelligent little brat who knows exactly how cute she is, and one big hyperactive fuzzball who's too dopey to do anything except what she's told...

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Yoga dogs...?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 05:29:37 PM »
nothing odd about any of that, I think Jarvis did and still does (at 4) a lot of what you've written  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:33:40 AM »
they do get themselve into some strange positions, is this yet another cocker trait, i dont remember my boxer or doberman doing odd positions but they were bigger dogs, but my 3 all end up do some of what you posted, Bruno has always been able to stand erect on his hind legs he can do it for ages, we never taught him to, he did it himself when we are getting treats out of the packet to get his first , i think  :005: :005:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline grab

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »
That's all right then.  Just so long as it's not too peculiar.

She's a funny dog anyway - her coat is a mix of golden and lemon, and she's very much the "dumb blonde".  Walk sensibly behind you on a narrow path? nope, I'll nut your ankles.  Stay in a normal position on the sofa? nah, I'll wiggle until I fall off the edge and land on my head.  Avoid sloping edges of river banks? what did you s... <plop>  On the plus side though, she retrieves perfectly, and she's *so* pleased to get attention.
Judi and Alice.  Add them together and divide by two, and they're a pair of normal spaniels.  Individually they're one fragile and over-intelligent little brat who knows exactly how cute she is, and one big hyperactive fuzzball who's too dopey to do anything except what she's told...

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »
That's all right then.  Just so long as it's not too peculiar.

She's a funny dog anyway - her coat is a mix of golden and lemon, and she's very much the "dumb blonde".  Walk sensibly behind you on a narrow path? nope, I'll nut your ankles.  Stay in a normal position on the sofa? nah, I'll wiggle until I fall off the edge and land on my head.  Avoid sloping edges of river banks? what did you s... <plop>  On the plus side though, she retrieves perfectly, and she's *so* pleased to get attention.

awww she sounds gorgeous  :luv: :luv: :luv:  any chance of some pictures of her?
helen & jarvis x

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:29:55 PM »
Hmmm sounds normal to me too, well at least I think  ;)

Lemmy can stand upright on his back legs completely straight with his front paws bent over we call this the Meercat stand and even sing the tune when he does it  :005: he's even been known to take a few steps like that aswell  ;)

And yes pictures please  :D

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »
Coco will lie at full length not a bendy bit in him, legs full stretched out at the back lying on his belly front paws out.  Breeze can't manage it she lies on her belly but her back legs are frogs legs.
Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 03:03:25 PM »
Like this.  ;)

xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx