Author Topic: How do you cope with sticky buds?  (Read 17710 times)

Offline milly

• Donator
How do you cope with sticky buds?
« on: July 05, 2009, 06:01:07 PM »
I'm not sure what others call them but you know the little green ball things that stick like glue, how do other cocker owners cope with them. Apart from the fact that my pup likes to eat the plant part, this morning we went up the river bank and he ended up like a christmas tree with the plant wrapped around him and hundreds of the buds stuck in his coat. I reguarly pick a few out of his coat after a walk but today there were loads and his ears were completely dense with them :embarassed :o
So he had his first bath, a bit like kids with nits I put conditioner on and combed them out, the bath was full of them.
Obviously I'll avoid the river now, I can't keep bathing him, but how do others cope with them? and when do the plants die off?
Milly

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: How do you cope with sticky buds?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »
Aren't they an absolute pain  >:D We've started taking a comb out with us so that we can get at least a few of them out round about our halfway mark before they get in too deep. Don't have any answers though other than what you're already doing.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »

I have found the best way is to brush them out with a slicker brush..but your dog must be dry...trying to get them out when your dog is wet is a nightmare and a complete waste of effort  :005:  ;) or it can also be quite relaxing for owner and dog to just sit and pick them out  :005:
Mine tend to lose a lot of them before we get home by shaking  ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 07:18:05 PM »
just live with them really, they're annoying but quite therapeutic to get out in the evening  ::)

oh and they're just as awful when they die off  >:D

this was one ear full  :shades:

helen & jarvis x

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:18:22 PM »
Is it called goose grass?  :huh:. I wait for Millie to dry and then pick them out on an evening watching tv, but then I keep her clipped quite short so it's not too much of a problem  ;).

Millie

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 07:31:26 PM »
just live with them really, they're annoying but quite therapeutic to get out in the evening  ::)

oh and they're just as awful when they die off  >:D

this was one ear full  :shades:

Cor Blimey, does he have any fur left? my poor ickle Brown Boy  :luv:

Another picker here, we sit on an evening snuggled and i just collect them all in a pot, because if I put them beside me the Orange One would eat them  >:( :005:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline babushka

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 07:48:34 PM »
Seren pulls them out herself the ones she can reach. It's called cleavers and I believe it's good for them :D

Offline mcphee

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 08:23:03 PM »
My DOG, I thought Rufus had the record for an earful of cleaver or goose grass seeds! Twice daily I groom with what I call the rake comb, or sit and take them out by hand. Rufus has a bizarre habit of eating them and the fur stuck to them if I do not put it out of reach. Slicker brush doesn't work well on getting them out of Rufus's coat. I was going to take a photo of his first crop a couple of weeks ago when he came out covered all over, but battery had run out. I think they are worst in Autumn. He is the only dog around covered in them, when he goes exploring of track. They seem to stick really bad and are small and dry. He hates them on his feet or leg feathers.

Offline hle

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »
Has anyone tried conditioner? I remember my childhood dog, Sandy always being covered in them but Cody never has more than half a dozen in his fur. I do spray conditioner on him to keep him detangled (and fresh smelling) maybe this is why!

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 08:46:19 PM »
Has anyone tried conditioner? I remember my childhood dog, Sandy always being covered in them but Cody never has more than half a dozen in his fur. I do spray conditioner on him to keep him detangled (and fresh smelling) maybe this is why!

I might try that, good idea. I used conditioner to comb them out after I'd bathed him but I can't keep bathing him every day The picture that Livercake posted looked like how many Paddy in one ear as well. I'll look for a leave in conditioner.
Milly

Offline hle

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 08:55:08 PM »
I use a coconut coat shine which you leave in and also a coconut detangler. I got them from Netto about £1.50 each.

Offline mcphee

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 08:57:43 PM »

I might try that, good idea. I used conditioner to comb them out after I'd bathed him but I can't keep bathing him every day The picture that Livercake posted looked like how many Paddy in one ear as well. I'll look for a leave in conditioner.
I've never used conditioner on Rufus.The vet said only ever to wash him if absolutely necessary and then only with water! Luckily he isn't a very smelly dog unless he has rolled. If he is hosed down because he is particularly noxious, then he is towel dried and left. Despite what the vet said, I shampoo him if necessary before his twelve weekly groom. What kind of conditioner should I use? Is it a dog product?

Offline hle

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »
Yes they are for dogs. I do keep a check on his skin, he has had no problems so far. I don't use the products that often usually once every week or two, depending on how long his coat is and how smelly he is!

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 09:05:28 PM »
Paddys 11 months and it was his first bath (makes me sound like a bad mother :005:).
Milly

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 09:12:18 PM »
They are called 'sticky willies' and the best thing to do is to brush them out with a slicker brush

Fern gets brushed every time we come in from a walk this time of year cos of these - in the winter she only gets brushed once a day  ;)