Author Topic: How do you cope with sticky buds?  (Read 17712 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: How do you cope with sticky buds?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 09:22:21 PM »
Sticky willies are a real pain at this time of year, I usually sit and pick them out of their ears in the evenings. Rodaidh isn't too bad as his coat is very silky and they don't stick to him so much but Tilly is ridiculous, she's fluffy with really heavily feathered ears and sometimes she ends up looking more green than brown. She often picks out the ones on her legs and sides herself and then lies snoozing while I do her ears. They do sometimes like picking up and chewing on the ones I pull out.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 10:21:48 PM »
we call them cacka monkeys, dont know why maybe its a welsh thingy  :005: :005:, livercake - NEVER seen that many on a whole dog , never mind on an ear, ph34r i dont worry about them as much as grass seeds, if bruno gets anything stuck to him he runs to me and turns and sits and i know i have to look for something stuck to his fur , hes a proper little baby, :005: :005:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »
I hate those things  >:D  Not too bad on Coco because she has her short summer haircut but my fluffy cat Ronnie has just jumped on the keyboard for a fuss and he is covered in the blurry things  >:(

I agree a slicker brush is the best thing though.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 10:46:48 PM »
I have to cut them off Charlie. Luckily we don't get too many stuck on him. I am amazed at the amunt that Jarvis had on one ear.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 11:00:21 PM »
I have to cut them off Charlie. Luckily we don't get too many stuck on him. I am amazed at the amunt that Jarvis had on one ear.

that's why I took the photo - twas quite a feat to get that many in one lug I thought....

mind you it was when he was young and foolish (about a year old)

really bad pic taken on my phone but think you can the mess  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 11:28:30 PM »

This was taken at home after a walk last year on Catherington Down. Before she got in the car, she actually had more of them across the top of her head. She looked like some weird Elizabethan lady gone wrong!! :005:
By the time we got home to the camera, this was how many were left.
I sat in the garden & picked/combed each & every one out.......took an age!

Oops, sorry - forgot to reduce the picture size before posting.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 11:30:56 PM »
OMG to both of the above pics, Charlie would be bald if I lived near you 2  :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 12:30:06 AM »
Good grief to both must have weighed quite a lot on the ears too. poor little devils  :o
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 12:56:34 AM »
Sticky Willies aren't ripe for sticking yet here.  I have that joy to come - hours of picking them out and Mollie just eats hers as I pick them (don't know about Alfie as this will be my first burr season with him).  I don't think snoods are the answer - I'm just going to tie each dog up in a black bin liner for walks.

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 06:24:12 AM »
The picture of Millie is how Paddy looked but his ear hair is realy long and it was all matted in. I hate the things.
Milly

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 07:46:15 AM »
The picture of Millie is how Paddy looked but his ear hair is realy long and it was all matted in. I hate the things.

This is why after every walk in the summer Fern gets brushed and then in the winter I just brush in the evening (mainly her ears so that there are no matts ) it was a routine we got into everytime we came home when she was a pup and it has just stuck (no pun intended)

Offline mcphee

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 08:16:51 AM »

This was taken at home after a walk last year on Catherington Down. Before she got in the car, she actually had more of them across the top of her head. She looked like some weird Elizabethan lady gone wrong!! :005:
By the time we got home to the camera, this was how many were left.
I sat in the garden & picked/combed each & every one out.......took an age!

Oops, sorry - forgot to reduce the picture size before posting.
Golly! But I think those seeds come from a different plant, because Rufus gets them two, and they are kind of parachute shape. They always come in huge clumps. happy days. What would we do without our cockers!!??

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 09:10:23 AM »
The ones mine get are little round balls - as someone else said I think the seeds of cleevers (sp) the sticky stuff they like to eat.

In the springtime mine also get the little stickybuds from the horsechestnut trees growing in the firestation next door to us. They are really a nuisance in their feet  ::)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline SandraD

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 09:59:36 AM »
We get the round cleavers seeds too - they are a complete pain.  We also had seeds from Forget me Nots earlier in the year - I very quickly went round the garden removing as many of the plants as I could find, because the seeds drove me nutty! :005:

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 11:33:36 AM »
Never knew they were called Cleavers.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=29

I quite enjoy them. I pick them off, pile them on the arm of the settee then drop them all over the floor. ::)