Author Topic: Is it better to have two bitches or a bitch and a dog?  (Read 12159 times)

Offline NicoleandPoppy

Is it better to have two bitches or a bitch and a dog?
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »
I was just wondering what was a better combination?

Offline HarveynMax

Re: Is it better to have two bitches or a bitch and a dog?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:29:09 PM »
I am a very inexperienced dog owner and I have two boys.  They are half-brothers, they share a dad.  They are roughly a year apart in age.  Harvey is 14months orange roan and Max is 14 wksblue roan.  They are inseparable!!!!  Even the first few days weren't bad, everytime Max went to Harvey he would walk off, then he let Max snuggle up after day 3.....

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:02:07 AM »
IMO it really depends on the nature of the dog/bitch  :-\   Generally, with my 2 girls i have found them to be more accepting/inquisitive/playful than my boy if we introduce another dog.  The past year or so we have occassionally had another cocker to stay for their holidays and my boy just seems to almost rolls his eyes in despair, and manages to make me feel guilty at the same time (although he is perfectly well behaved with them), whilst the girls give the appearance of 'yeah come and join us, who are you, whats your name etc, etc and just generally seem more welcoming.  :luv:  It doesn't matter to them if it is a male or female.

The only thing i would also say is if you have a male dog in the home first then IME they do come across as being rather put out when another arrives.  It may take longer for him to accept a new arrival.  Alfie took many months to finally accept Jo Jo.  ;)  We got there in the end though.  :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:13:13 AM »
I would say that temperament is more important than sex. My bitch is quite highly strung and my dog is a right soppy sod but he has a very strong bond with me and can get quite possessive. They get on pretty well most of the time but they do have their odd scraps. However, i think you will always get this when you have two dogs living in your household together. So in answer to your question, any combination can work depending on the individual dogs. Sorry that was no help at all was it  :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:03:24 AM »
It does depend on the dogs in question really, some are fine living with whomever and others aren't. As a very general rule though the combination least likely to throw up any issues is one of each sex, particularly if they are around the same age. However anyone who has more than 2 dogs obviously has at least 2 of whichever or both sexes and that often works out fine. Personally speaking I couldn't/wouldn't have another male dog living with Rodaidh, I had him and Alfie together and they were fine to begin with but once Rodaidh hit maturity at about 18 months they fought so badly that I ended up having to separate them permanently and then rehome Alfie. However Ro is absolutely fine with female dogs living in the house, if anything they bully him, and my 2 girls are fine together, admittedly Caoimhe is still young at almost 8 months but knowing Tilly as I do I don't foresee any issues cropping up between them.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 08:26:14 PM »
Its the question I keep throwing around in my head as well - I was going to go for a boy next time but then had the situation where most of the boy dogs round here seriously hound my dog and do not leave her back end alone which then ends with her telling them off so the idea of a boy after seeing her with them put me off slightly.     Not sure whether its the fact that these certain dogs are entire and are aged between 10 months and 2 which might have factor into it as we met a lovely entire boy at the weekend who didn't bother with her at all in that way.    Girls obviously don't pay her attention in that way at all, just a quick sniff for introduction purposes and thats it. 

My bitch has been spayed so cannot understand the interest in her.   Its a hard decision to make, well I think it is - maybe cos I worry too much and want it to be the right decision.   

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 08:53:32 PM »
Like Nicola says; the best combination is on of both sex, than the combi 2 males and the combination with the highest risk is two female dogs.
9 out of 10 times there's no problem at all, but I have had experience with the other 1 out of 10..... I have had two bitches who couldn't life together. They fought and fought and fought and won't drop. It wouldn't stop if I didn't intervene, blood drops flew around and finally after 3 months we have the rehome one of the dogs. They where to equal, character and age (1,5 years in between) and they couldn't decide which one was the boss.

I still can cry if i think about that time and about the other dog, I still miss here every day but I know she lives with a wonderful and carring lady who loves here till death.
So again 9 out of 10 no problem but; if it is going wrong, bitches won't give up easily.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 09:00:42 PM »
it really depends on the individual dog - my thought would be another boy as Jarvis can get henpecked by the bitches we have staying so my first thought would be a boy pup.

( Although he has advised me that he's learning the bagpipes and barking in a scottish accent so he can move into a multi-dog household with his Kray twin Rodaidh  ph34r )

(and the lovely entire boy says thanks to his Aunty Jeanette for the lovely compliments  :luv:)
helen & jarvis x

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »
I have 2 girlies aged 10 months apart. They do totally love each other but  have the odd scrap as I am sure any multi dog household has, its usely more noise than actual fighting, handbags at dawn shall we say. However I did research a lot before deciding and 2 bitches is supposed to be the worst combination. 
I guess as said it depends on the personalities of the dogs, my two are complete opposites one is quiet and cute and the other is an outgoing norty black cocker.  Also I had to think of the problems for when my bitch came into season, thats why I had another girlie.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 09:57:48 PM »
I have 2 girlies aged 10 months apart. They do totally love each other but  have the odd scrap as I am sure any multi dog household has, its usely more noise than actual fighting, handbags at dawn shall we say. However I did research a lot before deciding and 2 bitches is supposed to be the worst combination. 
I guess as said it depends on the personalities of the dogs, my two are complete opposites one is quiet and cute and the other is an outgoing norty black cocker.  Also I had to think of the problems for when my bitch came into season, thats why I had another girlie.
Just what I was going to say.  I have two entire blue roan bitches.  One is 15 months and is a total live wire and the other is 5 years and 3 months and would rather stay at home and watch telly.  The elder one is definitely boss of the other, but they get on very well.  We get handbags at dawn occasionally, but if I yell at them (raising my voice is something I rarely do), they soon stop and look at me with a surprised look and stop (because I'm boss - in a nice but firm way :lol2:). 

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 10:25:28 PM »
Depends on individuals is wot I think.  We always had bitches and they never fought.  Even Mollie NBC never fought with Bess our last bitch but she fights with Alfie now and again.  I think maybe they get along better if not close in age.

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 10:31:31 PM »
I agree - depends on the individuals I think. We have up to 6 female dogs here (the dogs in my signature pic), they all get on great. The only trouble maker is Roxy who tries to boss everyone about but the others don't take her seriously  :005:

Offline harleys mum

• Site Member
  • Harley & Rio....butter wouldn't melt!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 10:36:54 PM »
Two dogs here - Had Harley since 8 weeks, he is still entire. Rio came from rescue when he was one year and had been neutered already, Harley was also one year at this time.  They get on really well and rarely have cross words.  They are not affectionate with each other, but try to separate them and the howling is something else!!
Lu

Offline NicoleandPoppy

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 11:09:42 PM »
Well I have Poppy a 12 week old Liver working cocker. I like to plan ahead and know i would love a black cocker or a Blue roan Poppy is quite lively so I think possibly a dog should I neuter him of I got him or spay poppy?

xxx

Offline JohnW

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »
Hi Nicole,

Are you actually thinking of getting a new pup now, or is this for the future, as I noticed your pup is still quite young.

It doesn't really matter what combination you get, most of the time they will bond and become pals, However sometimes you can get a bad mix and they just don't like each other, usually when they are both quite dominant and won't back down with each other. I have a pack and the alpha of my dogs is my old girl willow, she keeps them all in check, even my 2 boys. I would say its still very early days and you have barely enjoyed the company of your new youngster give it a little time take her to puppy classes and see how she develops around other dogs.

The obvious thing to think about is a dog/bitch combination and the possibility of an accident  ph34r.  When a bitch comes into season you will find your dog becomes very agitated and excitable and may bark and whimper alot as he wants to be with the bitch. He will cock his leg on your furniture and let of an aroma that is very very PUNGENT in his spray  >:D. When he gets the chance he will also pee on your bitch which can also take your breath away when she comes to you for a cuddle or your whinjy arse aunt comes round and she jumps up at her stinking of PEE. NOT NICE AT ALL  >:D

Give yourself time and decide in a few months, 2 youngsters so close in age can be a real handful.  ;)