Author Topic: Is it better to have two bitches or a bitch and a dog?  (Read 12162 times)

Offline NicoleandPoppy

Re: Is it better to have two bitches or a bitch and a dog?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 11:32:30 PM »
I am not thinking of getting another Pup until Poppy is between 12-14 months old. I just saw some stunning black cockers and though as you can sometimes wait a couple of years I might put my name on a list. I wouldn't do it whilst poppy is so young and i want time to bond with her!
Thanks for the tips x

Offline JohnW

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 11:35:08 PM »
Well you have thought about it and I think you seem to be doing your homework. I am sure you will have fun in your search for a new pup, However you do realise within 5 years you will probably have a pack, It happens alot on here  :lol2:

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 09:17:44 AM »
However you do realise within 5 years you will probably have a pack, It happens alot on here  :lol2:

Yeah that's what happened to me!  Got three now and planning another maybe next year!  :005:

We currently have one boy and two girls.  The boy doesn't really care what goes on....he's not a cocker he's a great dane, most of the time he's asleep and never gets involved with any of the girls mischief so I'm counting him out of the equation!  My two girls are 3 months apart, we didnt plan on this it just happened.  I love them to bits but would never have two so close together again.  We got Isla when Paisley was 7 months and Paisley was most upset.  She still doesn't really get on with Isla and we have lots of grumbly behaviour from Paisley towards Isla but NEVER the other way around.  My next cocker I still want another girl, I just prefer girls.  We've had other girls and other boys in the house and they all act the same with either sex.

I think as others have said, the temperament and the age is probably more important than the sex.

Becky
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline grab

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 05:11:12 PM »
Our pair of girls (unrelated, 14 months and 11 months) are fine together.  The odd bit of handbags-at-dawn initially, but we always stopped it before it got more than play-fighting to make sure it didn't become a habit.  They still play-fight, but they're very attached to each other now and don't like going anywhere without the other one.

The only pair of dogs locally that I know of having problems together are a boy and girl pair of cockers.  The owners knew the female wasn't keen on other dogs but they still got another dog, a male, and did it without checking first that the female was OK with him.  After over a year, the bitch has settled down a bit, but there's been a lot of problems with them.  Both were neutered, so nothing to do with that - just that the female wasn't happy being with other dogs.
Judi and Alice.  Add them together and divide by two, and they're a pair of normal spaniels.  Individually they're one fragile and over-intelligent little brat who knows exactly how cute she is, and one big hyperactive fuzzball who's too dopey to do anything except what she's told...