Author Topic: Poppy at Many Tears  (Read 17877 times)

Offline sox

• Site Member
  • You don't have a life without a cocker
Re: Poppy at Many Tears
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 11:01:15 PM »
Have just donated through the site, put Poppy Operation in the details, fingers crossed she gets all the money that she needs  :luv:

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 11:02:23 PM »
Oh no what a sad case, she has such a sweet face and the same age as my Belle, def going to donate, I really hope she gets help in time :-\
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 11:08:49 PM »
Have just donated through the site, put Poppy Operation in the details, fingers crossed she gets all the money that she needs  :luv:
Me too. Have everything crossed for her

Hopefully some rich famous cocker lover will see this and be able to raise its profile.

Offline sallyd1

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 11:14:11 PM »
I have just donated too on many tears site putting poppy operation in description. Please lets hope she gets enough money to save her, bless she is so young x

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 11:17:36 PM »
I saw this about Poppy this afternoon and got really upset. I followed the link re donations and was able to put in the description that I was donating for Poppy. I hope we are in time and can make a difference to this beautiful little girl and give her a chance which her owners didn't appear to want to do.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »
 ;) Have just donated too  :luv:  poor little girl  :'(

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 11:33:33 PM »
Ive have as well put Poppy in description howeve am going to donate every month to MT as they are  :luv:
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 07:10:48 AM »
Have just spent a very sad half hour reading through the Many Tears pages - They are doing such a good job there, I admire them so much, Have made a small donation towards poor Poppy, wish I could do more.....
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 07:18:35 AM »
What kind of owners are they that can just ignore and then abandon their little pup. >:D I would do anything to get the money if my dog was ill.

Can an account be set up for us to donate towards her operation?

I would donate too x
Absolutely....me three!!

Can I just ask though..............the thread asks about getting in touch with good, kind vets for help. This I would gladly do but are in Bournemouth.....would this be practical/possible/of use for Poppy.......is she in Wales?

Edited.......sorry but forgot to say how beautiful she is  :luv: :luv:

I wondered the same, I am in Scotland but have a great and cheapish vet who I would be happy to ask for a quote but not sure if it is viable?
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline Ladybug

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 08:23:39 AM »
This is so so sad....I dont understand how people can have a gorgeous puppy like that, ignore signs of her illness and then discard her because she gets ill!  People make me so mad sometimes. >:(  Poor poor girl.   :'(

Offline luckypenny

on` puttim
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 08:39:49 AM »
Poor little girl :'( - just hope we are in time - I will donate when I ge my OH paypal password - not too keen on putting other card details

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »
Have just donated to Poppy operation and have just looked at the Many tears site, its heartbreaking and I want to win the lottery and give all those poor dogs and puddy cats a nice home.
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 08:51:49 AM »
This is often a very difficult condition to detect so don't be too hard on the owner, dogs can live with a simple shunt for years which may be detected due to blood tests for something entirely different.  

Occasionally there are animals with multiple shunts so the surgeon won't know how bad it is until all the tests are done.  ie Bile Acid tests, 12 hour starvation and 2 hours after food, then she will need a scan to find out how many shunts there are and even with surgery for a simple single shunt the prognosis may not be good.  No-one can be certain how the liver will react to the new blood supply and sometimes the dogs die some weeks later.

Shunts may be closed by placing a constrictor round the shunt and slowly closing it over a period of weeks, this may or may not work.  This is far from a simple procedure/operation and there may or may not be a good outcome even after surgery.

I know this is not what any of you want to hear but I am a realist and wanted you to be aware of the risks.  I had a pup (beagle) back in the 80's with liver shunt so I tend to keep an eye on latest developments.
Spaniels In Need

Offline sallyd1

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »
I have just been reading all about this terrible condition and have copied and pasted a paragraph under the header surgery.

SURGERY
Most dogs are taken to surgery to have the shunt closed. Because the liver has not developed properly, many dogs cannot tolerate rapid closure of the shunt. Some veterinarians will partially occlude the vessel, leaving a small amount of shunting present. Many of these dogs still do well after surgery and about half are able to be taken off of medication and special diets within 6 months. In some, the clinical signs may recur, and a second surgery may be required to determine whether further closure can be attempted.

So there is a very good chance that Poppy if she gets the chance could get through this. Here's hoping and praying for her. x

Offline CarolG

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 09:31:17 AM »
Have just donated too. Very easy through the Many Tears site. This poor girl. It breaks my heart :'(
 :luv: :luv: :luv: