Author Topic: If anyone finds...........  (Read 1331 times)

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
If anyone finds...........
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:24:53 PM »
We had a lovely trip to West Wittering near Chichester today, the sky was blue, the sea was calm, the tide almost fully out so there was plenty of sand to run on, it was warm (16C but felt a lot warmer in the sun) I think we wore the boy out, he had over 2 hours exercise racing around on the beach and running into the water to get his retrieval dummy until he decided he'd had enough!  I threw the dummy a good way and he flatly refused to go and get it  >:D  no amount of encouragement would persuade him  ::) I waded out as far as I could with my jeans rolled up but got nowhere near it, so we just had to watch it bobbing about out of reach  >:(

So.......if you happen to be in West Wittering in the next couple of days and you find an orange dummy washed up by the tide, it's mine!
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: If anyone finds...........
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:15:22 PM »
 :rofl1:  Perhaps Morgan decided he didn't like the colour anymore.  :005:

It is frustrating when they do that though.... we also lost a pink rubber ring and ball at the beach in Aberdovey recently in similar circumstances. 

Perhaps we should start a 'Lost & Found Cocker Toys' Thread.  :005:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:01:14 PM »
I've lost count of the number of floats etc that Billy has lost  ::)   He used to have the Kong floats but now he has ones that I buy from the £1 shop as it doesn't matter if they get lost  :blink:

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:22:02 PM »
Hmm, yep we know that one too.  Even tried telling a man one night when he though Harvey was a good retriever, he soon learnt....

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 10:35:53 PM »
Whats really annoying is you just never know when its one throw to many. Bonnie does this she gets all excited for you to chuck things in the water but you just dont know that the next time she is just going to sit and look at you then back at the water as if to say "you want you fetch it "  >:D
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 10:41:59 PM »
Got a couple of days off & was thinking of taking Milly to the beach. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you!
Talking of annoying toy moments - I brought Milly a new ball on a rope on Sat. Took it to the exercise field, three lobs later - straight over the trees & BANG!! straight onto someones conservatory. Was too embarrassed to walk round & ask for it back, so made a hasty retreat to the other side of the field!  ph34r

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 11:34:33 PM »
Whats really annoying is you just never know when its one throw to many. Bonnie does this she gets all excited for you to chuck things in the water but you just dont know that the next time she is just going to sit and look at you then back at the water as if to say "you want you fetch it "  >:D

Misty and Stevie are like that - usually when they decide I've thrown the ball too far. Jimmy on the otherhand will keep going forever, no matter how far. You'd think this would mean I could send him in after the girls' ball but oh no, he's very particular and will only retrieve his own ball which has got to be the one he started the walk with. I've managed to con him into going after their stray ball a few times but he just swims out, takes a disdainful sniff, realises it's not his and swims all the way back again without it... then starts barking at me to throw his ball in the water instead.  >:(  :lol2:

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 09:34:14 PM »
I've given up on toys. I now throw suitably sized pebbles ph34r

Although I am going to get another dummy of some kind and attach an old washing line to it so I can always haul it back myself!

Offline mcphee

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 07:07:06 AM »
Mumtomilly and I were there yesterday afternoon. Milly had her thing on a string and Rufus had his orange wubba. No sign of a dummy though Rufus was clearly far more interested in the dunes to which he kept looking longingly and depositing the wubba further and further up the beach after retrieving it from the sea. We got the message and we walked round East Head. What a lovely time we had with two cockers ignoring each other, but being good (this is a relative concept for Rufus). First time Rufus has done East Head off lead for about 3 years since a major excavation and exploration expedition in the dunes when he was Milly's age.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 08:24:45 AM »
Whats really annoying is you just never know when its one throw to many. Bonnie does this she gets all excited for you to chuck things in the water but you just dont know that the next time she is just going to sit and look at you then back at the water as if to say "you want you fetch it "  >:D

Misty and Stevie are like that - usually when they decide I've thrown the ball too far. Jimmy on the otherhand will keep going forever, no matter how far. You'd think this would mean I could send him in after the girls' ball but oh no, he's very particular and will only retrieve his own ball which has got to be the one he started the walk with. I've managed to con him into going after their stray ball a few times but he just swims out, takes a disdainful sniff, realises it's not his and swims all the way back again without it... then starts barking at me to throw his ball in the water instead.  >:(  :lol2:

:rofl1: discerning Jimmy  :shades: 

That's no good to attract the ladies Colin....when we were at Windsor Great Park a group of bright young things were playing rounders and lost their ball in the lake...enter Super Jarv, ball retrieved and 19 year old nubile girls 'ooohing' and 'aaahing' over the clever dog.  OH was most proud  ::)

we lost one of the floating kongs in our river a couple of years ago....Jarv found it this year, a little bleached and cracked but definitely ours (we'd knotted the string 3 times cos it dangled on the ground when he retrieved it) so there is hope for you Elaine  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 08:33:40 AM »
I have lost count of the toys we have lost in the river in my vain attempts to get Coco to swim.  >:( Is I throw it into the shallow water she sometimes just looks at it until it floats out of her depth and then stands and barks at it to come back - no way is she going to take her feet off the bottom  ::)  I now attach her toys on a string to the end of the flexi lead if I want to throw them in the river  :shades: :lol2:  I have lost numerous toys up trees too - the ones on a rope are the worst and I am rubbish at throwing.  I always try to throw away from the trees but have lost at least 3 toys to the upper branches of a tree - despite hanging around under the tree, they never drop down until after we have gone - grrrr!  >:D
Julie and Watson

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 11:21:10 AM »
Mumtomilly and I were there yesterday afternoon. Milly had her thing on a string and Rufus had his orange wubba. No sign of a dummy though Rufus was clearly far more interested in the dunes to which he kept looking longingly and depositing the wubba further and further up the beach after retrieving it from the sea. We got the message and we walked round East Head. What a lovely time we had with two cockers ignoring each other, but being good (this is a relative concept for Rufus). First time Rufus has done East Head off lead for about 3 years since a major excavation and exploration expedition in the dunes when he was Milly's age.

I'm glad you all had such a lovely time, it's a smashing beach isn't it? and you had good weather too! Thanks for keeping an eye out for the dummy, very kind of you  :-* It's a good job Morgan has a spare so he can still do some retrieve-type games in the woods (I think I might tie a cord to it though if we go to the beach again  :005: )

A woman (possibly the manager) at the cafe at the beach made a big fuss of Morgan when we were there, she has cockers herself and I forgot to tell her about COL  ph34r
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope