Author Topic: What Would You Do?  (Read 7517 times)

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
What Would You Do?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2004, 10:59:53 AM »
I wouldn't even talk to them about it - carry on as normal and then when MIL askes,
 'when were you planning to visit'
politely reply, 'oh we thought we couldn't come because you don't want the dog there' - ball is then in her court!  

Arguing with her will just make you the wicked witch! Play the game girl and keep your dignity! ;)

Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
    • http://
What Would You Do?
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2004, 11:36:58 AM »
Oh I gave up arguing a long time ago!!   ;)  
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2004, 11:37:20 AM »

.  My ex hubby was so spineless he couldn't stand up straight :D  :D
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  what a briliant saying, i must remember that one.
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
What Would You Do?
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2004, 11:55:49 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear of your problem Jo...but I'm afraid I can't help....I don't get on with my MIL at the best of times!  :angry:

When my last cocker was pts I was heartbroken and she turned round (about an hour after the event) and said "Good I never liked that dog"

Its a wonder I speak to her at all these days  :blink:  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2004, 11:57:50 AM »
When my last cocker was pts I was heartbroken and she turned round (about an hour after the event) and said "Good I never liked that dog"

Its a wonder I speak to her at all these days  :blink:
 :o OMG some people are so heartless and thoughtless  :angry:  at your MIL!

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
What Would You Do?
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2004, 12:06:20 PM »
:lol: sounds like a good excuse to stay away  :angry:  i wouldnt dream of saying something like that its so offensive but then my MIL is also like that she can say what she wants doesnt matter if it offends but you try doing it back OMG youd think youd grown two heads the look you get like shes sucking ten lemons at once ha ha id stay away she might see the error of her ways unless shes like a lot of them and she thinks shes GOD  :unsure:  :blink:  

sweetie

What Would You Do?
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2004, 12:08:55 PM »

Its a wonder I speak to her at all these days  :blink:
:o OMG some people are so heartless and thoughtless  :angry:  at your MIL!
unbelievable!!!!how cruel :(  

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2004, 12:10:51 PM »
ha ha id stay away she might see the error of her ways unless shes like a lot of them and she thinks shes GOD  :unsure:  :blink:
I'm not like that :ph34r:    :lol:  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
What Would You Do?
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2004, 12:20:05 PM »
Barb,

I bet you are a fab Mil! B)  

Lizzy Molly and Evie

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2004, 12:21:49 PM »
Barb,

I bet you are a fab Mil! B)
Aww thanks Lizzy, i try my best.  :D  

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
What Would You Do?
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2004, 12:26:15 PM »
:blink: aww Barb wasnt having a go at you your young at heart your a babe its the other moaning old sods it seem intent on making our lives a misery ha ha im sure some of them take an exam in it my stepmother especially :ph34r:  

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2004, 12:30:39 PM »
:blink: aww Barb wasnt having a go at you your young at heart your a babe its the other moaning old sods it seem intent on making our lives a misery ha ha im sure some of them take an exam in it my stepmother especially :ph34r:
LOL  :D  i know you wern't Ruth Thanks anyway. :D  

Offline Liz

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2004, 02:03:21 PM »
This post really hit a raw nerve with me as I had the same problem with my mum and dad. We used to have a GSD who was always made welcome at my parents although he slept in the garage. My mum bought him a basket though and my dad installed a heater. When we got our first cocker spaniel, Blue, my mum said even before he arrived that if we insisted on having another dog (our GSD had sadly died the previous year) we shouldn't expect to bring him with us if we came to stay. I said fine but we wouldn't be able to visit them although they were still welcome to come and stay with us. This lasted a few months before mum weakened and we were all asked to stay! Since then we have acquired a second cocker and went through the whole performance again with "well we didn't mind the one, but two!" This again only lasted a few months and we have now been there with both. One compromise we reached was that I would bring the dog's crate with me and use this overnight. I have also had a similar reaction from my MIL and again this was sorted by using the crate. Each time I was determined not to lose my cool and politely explained that we came as a job lot, children, dogs and husband or not at all. However I was always happy for them to come to us as I didn't want the children to miss out on contact with their grandparents. Happily all seems to be OK now but will probably start again with no 3!

Liz, Blue and Niamh

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
What Would You Do?
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2004, 02:36:11 PM »
Or do what I do and have no contact with MIL except for cards at Christmas and Birthdays :D
We don't even have that amount of contact  :unsure:  - long story  :D .

You too Tracy? Same here. Haven't seen the dragon in about 4 years and have no desire to  :D

As far as your mother-in-law goes Jo, I suppose it depends on how relations are between you and your in-laws. If you get on okay with them, it might be best to be as diplomatic as possible and ask politely why they object to the dog as it will make it more difficult for you to visit and therefore you'll see them less...which you could emphasise would be a real shame.

I can understand what a difficult situation it is as your husband is stuck in the middle as well. Wait until your anger has subsided (easier said than done LOL) and try to be as amiable as possible when you speak or write to her. I hope she has a rethink. The way she phrased things was very formal  :huh:  

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
What Would You Do?
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2004, 02:48:57 PM »
And they always say men's Mother-in-Laws are the bad ones....... :lol:  :rolleyes:  :lol:  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.