Author Topic: Is he just over tired?  (Read 697 times)

Offline redlottie

Is he just over tired?
« on: April 08, 2010, 11:40:34 AM »
I am after a bit of advise please

My working cocker boy is 9 months old.  We spent a wonderful weekend in the Peak District which he absolutely loved.  Since arriving back home he has been fine in himself, eating, tail wagging when walkies mentioned and all!!

Generally though he seems a little bit quiet, escaping for a lie down at any opportunity.  No mopping or crying or apparent discomfort.  Is it just that he is tired after his weekend?  It is the first time really he has run as much off lead.

I think I might just be being a bit sensitive and should be glad of the peace and quiet but just thought I would ask your opinions.   :-\

Offline Marialh

Re: Is he just over tired?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:06:03 PM »
It sounds as if he's tired. We had a busy long weekend with our 7.5 month old WCS and he was definitely quieter in the house Tuesday - still mega eager to go, but taking every opportunity to flop and snooze, rather than begging for play.

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:24:50 PM »
It probably is quite possible, Murphy is 14 months and we went for a HUGE walk on Sunday, and he did obedience and agility training on Monday, he was tired until yesterday but he had lots of grooming, mental activities, a trip to the vets and a walk yesterday so he's quite tired again today. Add to that the fact that the decorator is here and we are having the bathrooms re-fitted and all the general supervising he needs to do as people come in and out ( :005:  ::)) he's a very tired boy at the end of each day! It's heaven.
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:27:10 PM »
It's not only the exercise but a change of location can be really tiring - although outwardly the dog is showing no stress it does worry them a bit.  After holidays we always have a quiet couple of 'relieved to be home' days  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline redlottie

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:44:03 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  I thought it was probably just the toll of the weekend but wanted a bit of reassurance.

He is normally such a live wire that its a bit of a shock to the system to see him so relaxed. 

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 01:05:23 PM »
It's not only the exercise but a change of location can be really tiring - although outwardly the dog is showing no stress it does worry them a bit.  After holidays we always have a quiet couple of 'relieved to be home' days  ;)

I completely agree. They can be so tired just from the mental stimulation of a different enviroment. I was so surprised that my pup was so shattered from watching me and my oldest dog at our agility class. My OH said she was facinated and just sat there taking it all in.

Give it a few days and you'll be wishing he was still so quiet  :005:

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:15:53 PM »
I think it's amazing that it's also not the walking always that wears them out. I play 'find it' with Murphy and hide toilet roll holders or his decoy toy all over the house and he goes off and looks for them. By the time he's finished bringing them all back he's exhausted because he's had to think about where they all might be and how to get to them. Everyone seems to think a long walk will tire a dog out but that's not always the case, the more they walk the fitter they get and the more they can walk. But give them something to think about and it can tire them out so much more than you'd expect, obviously a nice walk afterwards is needed too!
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline redlottie

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
I never really gave a thought to the non physical side and he had his Grade 1 Gund Dog Assessment on Saturday and numersous games of find the stick on Sunday and Monday so porbably no wonder he needs a rest  ;)