Author Topic: Crate  (Read 854 times)

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
Crate
« on: March 22, 2010, 09:54:09 PM »
Reading this forum there is a lot of talk about using a create while your dog is growing up. I have never used that before, we just used the utility room or kitchen while they were puppies.

Can someone please point me to a url with a picture of the crates you are talking about. So that I don't get the wrong image in my head.

Is there a reason for it and what are the benefits ?
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows
Both halves of woollypigs post from this account - Woolly & Peli :)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Crate
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 09:44:55 AM »
Google is your friend here - just type in "dog crate" or "crate training" and you'll get hundreds of pages come up :D

Jane

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:18:33 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Folding-36-Dog-Puppy-Cage-Crate-Carrier-Large-Black_W0QQitemZ110509045226QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item19bada35ea

Poppy's looks like this. I have covered it on 3 sides with a black blanket. She still sleeps in it now at 13 months. When she is tired she takes herself off there to bed and won't come out until the morning! Because she feels safe she will happily lay in at the weekends, has always slept throught the night and can come to other people's houses for the night and be contained!

Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:51:39 AM »
I have the same crate as in the link above , also covered with a blanket with a bed in  :D

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 11:55:13 AM »
But what are the benefits for a crate versus a blanket/bed ? I have only every used a the latter.

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
Because she feels safe she will happily lay in at the weekends, has always slept throught the night and can come to other people's houses for the night and be contained!

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 01:15:38 PM »
But wouldn't a blanket do the same, since I have only used that before. All our dogs knew that that was their space, isn't that what you want and they want ?

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 01:21:50 PM »
I found the crate very usefully when i got Hattie as i had a old dog as well, so when i wanted to have a bath or do something that would take a while i would pop Hattie in her crate so i knew she would be safe. She also slept in her crate and this gave me peace of mind as she was a bit of a wall paper, skirting board destroyer.  She is nearly 2 now and we only use the crate in my oh car.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 01:29:14 PM »
But wouldn't a blanket do the same, since I have only used that before. All our dogs knew that that was their space, isn't that what you want and they want ?

If thats what you want to do! A crate isn't a necessity, just a training tool.

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 01:37:19 PM »
I personally prefer the puppy's exercise pen...it's bigger open on the top with more space to play...
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 01:42:16 PM »
Yes, I've got 2 puppy pens which I prefer, more space for pup to move about.  They are used when I'm not in the house (saves any damage/chewing being done) and when I need to have pup contained (eg when I'm making dinner/sorting kids etc).  We do have a cage/blanket for bedtime though, which Odie is very happy to use.  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 01:45:22 PM »
Brodie had a crate up until she was about a year old, it was her den and 'safe area' and she used to love going into it if she wanted some space. She was crated whenever she was left alone (which was never for very long) and at night, so I knew she was safe and would come to no harm, plus there was no chance of her chewing things she wasn't meant to ;). Once she grew older she stopped using it so much and preferred to sleep on the sofa, so we decided to get rid of it - however I know of plenty of dogs who still use and love their crates, no matter their age :blink:.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 02:13:14 PM »
My oldest loves his crate. They supposedly like the enclosed space as it makes them feel safe and this is certainly my experience. If my oldest is out his crate at night he barks at every noise but doesnt in his crate.

Plus it means there no risk of presents being hidden around the room, no chance of them chewing anything, injesting anything they shouldnt or falling off anything. It gives me piece of mind when i have to leave them that they'll be ok

Plus it helps with toilet training. Dogs are very unlikely to soil their sleeping space so will do their best to hold it. Obviously you cant push them too soon too fast but it does mean you can be fairly sure they wont have an accident when you say leave them while you have a shower or nip to the shops.