Author Topic: You would though, right??!!  (Read 2280 times)

Offline smartietopdog

You would though, right??!!
« on: July 23, 2010, 06:27:19 AM »
About 4 weeks ago, my trusty Megane broke, it was the cambelt, and we decided it just wasn't worth fixing. I'd had the car for 6 years, since it was 3 years old. It had always been a c**p magnet, with the dogs and the kids in it all the time, making a mess ph34r :005:.
I never really thought anything of it, if I have a car, my dogs will go in it, as much as my kids.

Anyway, on Wednesday I got me a nice new shiny Focus, as in brand new, never had a new car before and was very excited!! :005:
In the eveing I had to go to an end of school type BBQ, so of course took the kids and Smartie, and the comments I had all evening regarding "nice car, you're not going to let the dog in there though are you?" were endless.
I'll come back to the BBQ in a mo!!!!

Anyway, all day yesterday, I've had the same "you're not going to let the dog in there are you?"
I'd not thought for a second of keeping them out of it, as to me that would be like keeping one of my kids out. I should point out Smartie sits on the front seat, always has, always will ph34r :005:

You would let your dogs in the new car though, right? Just want some reassurance I haven't gone form a loving owner, to an obsessed one? Maybe I have, and thats a line I shouldn't have crossed? I did get some front seat covers yesterday, ready for winter.

Back to the BBQ!! Smartie has NEVER, ever, been sick in the car, and has been travelling everyday with me since day one. You can see where this is going....................... :005: :005:
Brand new car, less than 50 miles on it, and Smartie threw up all over the carpet and front seat! >:D :lol2: Maybe thats just influenced your opinion on dogs in new cars!!! :005:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: You would though, right??!!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:50:30 AM »
ooo dear poor smartie and poor you

Hope you managed to clean the car out.

Wonder if the new car smell made Smartie sick in the car  :huh: or was it something he ate, or a bug? who knows but the one thing I can tell you is the car has now been christened  :005:  hope Smartie is ok and not poorly  :luv:

As for the new car and not having your dog in it  :-\ why would you not  :huh:

I wouldn't use the seat covers just for winter tho, think I'd put them on now as if he is sick again it'll be easier to clean than the actual car  ;)

Offline padandmurph

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:04:22 AM »
We had the same issue last October.  OH changed job and now gets the bus everyday so for the first time in years, we only needed 1 car. We got rid of the two we had and bought a brand new bmw 1 series. It was beautiful when it came and I vowed to take care of it.  The dogs go in the boot and we bought the special bmw dog guard and protective rubber mat for them but its still an absolute mess. I had to take it in to bmw last week for a check and was so embarrassed by the state of it. I honestly don't think I will ever be able to get the dogs hairs out!

Thats life with dogs though, they come first.  Enjoy your new car (while it looks new!!!)

Offline MOO-MOO

• Smile for the camera Moo!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:24:09 AM »
I just put a big bath towel to cover the whole seat when Moo-Moo goes out on his own with me.
Easy to pull off and shake until the next time if I have a hooman passenger  :005:

Hope Smartie is better now!
Heather.
Enjoy your big running at Rainbow Bridge Truda with Chloe and Moo Moo 💕💕💕 xx

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:24:56 AM »
Oh dear, Smartie  :shades:

As a family with dogs and a horse any car we have had has always ended up with a thin-ish layer of dog-hair, mud and straw  :lol: :lol:  Our friends who are obsessionally clean (no sweets etc allowed in the car) end up holding their breath if they ever need a lift with us  :lol:

Hope Smartie settles into the new car and that the episode was a one-off (or should that be a one-up?  :lol: :lol:)

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 08:09:27 AM »
Oops! Thats not so good.... Hope Smartie's ok, weird that he was sick when he never has been before. Maybe he doesn't like the feel of the focus ride - you did check with him before right?  :005: Sorry, shouldn't laugh, but I look at it this way, its done now, and the kids won't be dreading being the first one to drop something bad in the car!!!! :)

And yep - course you would.  I got a brand new car last year after exactly the same problem with my Seat Leon, cam belt went on the motorway.  So took the plunge and decided to spoil myself.  Everyone expected me to lob Maggie in the boot, but she's where she's always been, back seat (her preference).  She's now in a dog bag, but that wasn't through mess (although it helps massively) it was so I could keep her still in the car after her surgery.

Enjoy your car, now with Smartie's seal of approval!  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 08:19:14 AM »
we just get seat covers front and back and hope for the best, they look a mess but when the car is emptied and hoovered (about once a year if its lucky  ph34r) it doesnt look too bad, the car is also full of essential doggy things like toys, leads, water, balls, poop bags,frizbies, mud, sand etc etc  :D :005: we have a guard in both cars but they still go on the back seat, and the sand and mud still gets everywhere anyway  ::)
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:24:21 AM »
I haven't got a new car and don't suppose I ever will now but if I did then Bonnie Boo would still travel in it. Surely a car is just a convenience to get from point A to point B and yes I do like to keep my car clean but the doglet is the priority :lol:
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline saffysmum

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 09:12:28 AM »
I hope you are all using some kind of safety travelling with your dogs on the seats??  Sorry ph34r!  Had to say it as I have a totally phobia about car safety.  I only travel with my lot safely behind bars :005:.  I have a large dog crate with a bed inside which mine all go in.
When we were shopping for our new car, our priority was could all the family fit.  As our dogs are very much our family, this included them.  I would never buy a car unless my dogs could come in?!  Why bother?  It's the same people that will moan about the dogs on the sofa.  I tell them it's their house and if the 'visitor' doesn't want to get covered in dog hair, they should sit on the floor.  My dogs never lie there! :005:
There is a puddle on the floor,
tis there for all to see,
now is this puddle H20,
or is this K9 pee?

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 10:09:16 AM »
I have had new cars for over thirty years, and my dogs have always been allowed in them.  My latest car - a Honda Accord Tourer - has leather uphostery, and Charley is not relegated to the boot.  He loves to sit by me, and why not?   I bought a dog guard so that he could stay in the back, but he hated it and cried, so I relented and it now lies in the garage.

Take no notice of anyone who suggests the dog shouldn't be allowed in your new car.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 11:28:14 AM »
I should point out Smartie sits on the front seat, always has, always will ph34r :005:

What's a new car???
Seriously, though, a car is a transport tool... and if a dog needs transport, it needs to go in the car!!!

Just to reassure you, Honey often travels in the front seat... and we are now very glad she is used to doing this.  I will be much happier having baby in the back and her in the front than I would be having them both in the back unsupervised...  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 12:01:28 PM »
We are in the position where 2 cars are a must have.  We have the nice car (mine) and the dog car (his)  :005:

Maddi was in my Subaru once, not long after we got it and was sick in the cupholders  :P 

In answer to your question - if I only had one car no matter how immaculate it was, yes my dogs would be in it. No question.  That said I have no plans to let them into the BMW we just bought anytime soon  ph34r
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 12:27:57 PM »
I got a new car recently (not brand new but 'new to me' and it was pretty pristine) and I put Caoimhe's crate in the boot (she's happiest travelling in there) and a blanket over the back seat for Rodaidh and Tilly. I was resolving not to let Rodaidh do his usual jammy trick of inveigling his way into sitting on the passenger seat so I could try to keep it reasonably clean in case I had any passengers that don't have four legs and a tail... that resolution lasted about 2 weeks until I realised that the whole car was getting full of dog hair, mud and assorted other crud anyway so back into the front he came :005: OH has a 'nice car' that the dogs don't go in but of course the dogs would get into any car of mine, brand new or not, the main purpose of any car I have is as a dog transportation service anyway :shades:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 12:40:01 PM »
I dont have a car but my OHs is mostly used as a dog wagon. I dont know how we;d get away with not letting them in the car as they come with us to most places. Part of the deal for us getting the dogs was that he got the car he's always wanted so he had to choice really..

People are quite shocked as he has quite a nice sports car and we just shove our very flithy cockers into the back of it.  :005: We have a car cover over the back seat and It does get cleaned inside and out as part of my OHs religous weekly car clean so it doesnt look too bad.

Its worth noting that the back seat is completely useless with people whos legs go further than their knees so the dogs may as well use it.  :shades:

Offline maggieann

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 03:06:21 PM »
When my OH got his new car he said that Torin couldn't go in it - that lasted about a week. There's now a load of dog stuff in his nice new car.  ;)
My beloved car is 13 years old, so Torin can't make it any worse than it already is.  :lol2:
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.