Author Topic: how much time does your cocker sleep during the day?  (Read 13416 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
how much time does your cocker sleep during the day?
« on: October 16, 2010, 04:44:14 PM »
Since we got up this morning, around 8.30, Chloe (2 and a half year old non-working worker), has been on the go the whole time. She followed me around helping (getting under my feet)  >:( with the housework; we then went for a 6 mile walk, where she charged around at 100mph, in and out of the trees, tracking deer scent; she spent an hour and a half chewing a bone when we got home; then she finally dozed for an hour. She's awake again, perched on her viewing seat (the back of the sofa) and is having the odd bark or grumble at anything that is going on outside. This, so far, has varied from an escaped lamb, to a flock of hoodies, to a passing tractor, to a neighbour walking her dog!   She will probably sleep (doze) for another couple of hours between now and bedtime. This is not an unusual day, so on average I reckon Chloe sleeps around 3-4 hours a day, sometimes much less.....she didn't asleep at ALL during the day, when the family were here last weekend!

So what's your dog(s) daytime sleeping habits? (Comments from owners of ALL breeds appreciated  ;))

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: how much time does your cocker sleep during the day?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 05:23:34 PM »
Odie will awake me at 6.30am (to have a snuggle on our bed) :luv:  He's out at 9.15am after the school run.  He'll only chill if I'm sitting down, otherwise wherever I go, he goes >:(  After play/training on the afternoon etc, he'll only really settle down properly after about 7.30pm when I put the 2 girls to bed.  So basically, he'll be on the go constantly if I am :005:  I can't wait till after Christmas (28th is his 1st birthday :luv:) when I can take him for unlimited walkies to tire him out more :banana:  Lesley  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 05:30:53 PM »
In all honesty it sounds like Chloe never relaxes and is constantly on edge.

I would actually not let her 'grumble' at all and sundry all day, I think she'd be better off having some time alone and quiet, maybe in her crate.

I'm trying to remember where I saw an article on dogs and sleeping - the crux of it was that those that were left for 2 or 3 hours and relaxed and slept were much more de-stressed and calmer than those who are awake and stimulated for the whole day.

FWIW Jarvis gets about 3 hours sleep during the day - sometimes he goes upstairs while I work downstairs or he sleeps in OH's van (his favourite place, won't sleep in his comfortable bed) when he goes to work with him.  He very definitely has time to himself to do this  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 05:40:41 PM »
Helen - would you suggest that I put Odie in his crate for some quiet time too?  As I'm in the house all day and he only goes in his crate for 30 mins (school run), do you think he'd benefit from more 'alone time'?

Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »
Helen - would you suggest that I put Odie in his crate for some quiet time too?  As I'm in the house all day and he only goes in his crate for 30 mins (school run), do you think he'd benefit from more 'alone time'?

Lesley

Hi Lesley - yes, I would build some alone time into his day.  Helps with any separation anxiety as well  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline spongebob

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 05:44:05 PM »
My springers 6&2yr have slept pretty well all day in between 2x 1 mile walks. I clean the cottage next door on a Sat and they are happy to zizz away.... If I went on a 20mile walk they would be up for it and more, but are very chilled in the house  :blink: all my friends springers are like this bar one who darent shut an eye in case he misses something  :005:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 05:46:04 PM »

Lesley

Hi Lesley - yes, I would build some alone time into his day.  Helps with any separation anxiety as well  ;)

Cheers Helen, it'll help me get some housework done too ph34r :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
Well I have to admit that it is not something I keep tabs on, except when they were pups, they are quite happy to sleep anytime.

Katie on the whole is quicker to re-act to my actions, but Smudge is not far behind.  If they are in a deep sleep I can get on with doing something with no probs. They are quite happy to go to their beds and stay there if I command and will settle till I give them the OK.

I think there is something, somewhere I either read or was told that dogs should not be 'on the go' 24/7 because they stay constantly wound up. I know if I am going out on my own I make sure they have had a run/play/wee/poo but for the half hour before I go, they are encouraged to be calm (maybe it is just what the Muddies are used to - but it works). Also on training nights they get half hour calm before working or they just don't listen to what I am telling them.

Have to say at this point tho that they never get a six-mile walk (or anything like it) my max is prob 1 - 1and a half thro wooded area/on the beach and they do get playtime during the day in the garden, and some training.

I know all dogs are different and have different needs - just like hoomans  ::)

BTW Sue How is your training with the new lady going? are you still doing some?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 06:00:05 PM »
My two sleep quite a lot I think. In between walks they are very happy to crash, with some playtime thrown in between. I think they are remarkably chilled considering they are young and workers

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 06:10:21 PM »
FWIW Jarvis gets about 3 hours sleep during the day -

Same as Chloe then...she just has hers in short bursts rather than all at once .... seems to suit her, I don't find her unmanageable or anything.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 06:15:45 PM »
and ok, before anyone refers to my comment about her getting under my feet, that was meant as a bit of joke, she likes to help with changing the bed linen, but apart from that she is either laying calmly in the room that I am cleaning, or even chilling out on the sofa or the bed. She isn't sleeping though.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 06:20:13 PM »
and ok, before anyone refers to my comment about her getting under my feet, that was meant as a bit of joke, she likes to help with changing the bed linen, but apart from that she is either laying calmly in the room that I am cleaning, or even chilling out on the sofa or the bed. She isn't sleeping though.

Katie likes to tell me when the bedclothes need changing - by jumping on the bed with wet, muddy feet.

As for getting in the way he he!! how come they always walk slower when you are behind them and want to get somewhere aye!!
(like the loo in a hurry  :o
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 06:25:27 PM »
Meg and Alfie are left during the week for 3-4 hours a day. All they do is sleep when left, my mum's gone out to work a few times and left me in without them knowing and ive sneaked down and can see them both fast asleep in their beds. During the day when we're at home (i.e afternoons) they hardly sleep at all, they will be in the kitchen while mum does the housework but dont sleep, they either chew on bones/toys or mooch around, then they have their walk and its time to get tea ready when they get back so obviously better things to do than sleep then ;). After tea Meg usually finds a comfy spot to snooze for the night and Alfie grabs a toy and plays for a while. Then he'll kip by my feet for a couple of hours before bed at about 11ish. So yeah, ours have a fair bit of rest on an average day :D xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 06:30:12 PM »
BTW Sue How is your training with the new lady going? are you still doing some?

Going really well thanks  ;) We've started doing a bit of agility....on Wednesday, we were doing weave poles, tunnel and little jumps. It's great fun, we both love it. I'm still getting nearly 3 hours for the price of one....as we spend an eternity talking about dog training!

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 06:33:51 PM »
Diesel & Olli sleep alot during the day when Im at work, at least I think they do because my neighbours say they never hear a peep out of them.  I walk them before work and then again at lunchtime and then when I come in from work.

On a weekend they follow me all over when im doing the housework, but after a walk are happy to rest, half sleep incase they miss something interest im doing.  Like today when I washed the floors Olli was flat out until I started with the mop, then Olli joined in drying the floor with his ears  :005: :005:

When i have people around they dont sleep as much, do rest but not proper sleep, frightened they miss anything  :005:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx