Author Topic: how much time does your cocker sleep during the day?  (Read 13423 times)

Offline bracken

• Site Member
Re: how much time does your cocker sleep during the day?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 06:34:24 PM »
My lot sleep most of the morning after a 6.30 start for brekkie :-\ then they are up and around most of the afternoon,at night they are always snoozing on the sofa from around 5pm then its bed at 10ish.
My pup does have her own sleep pattern she will be popped in her crate upstairs away from the others listening to Radio 2 a couple times a day  :luv:
Mine love their sleep just wish it could be extented in the morning until maybe 7.30  :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 06:41:09 PM »
BTW Sue How is your training with the new lady going? are you still doing some?

Going really well thanks  ;) We've started doing a bit of agility....on Wednesday, we were doing weave poles, tunnel and little jumps. It's great fun, we both love it. I'm still getting nearly 3 hours for the price of one....as we spend an eternity talking about dog training!

That's great, glad to read it is going well, the lady is probably glad to have such enthusiastic trainees. :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 06:54:38 PM »
My two will sleep to suit the day. In the week they're walked for an hour and a haf, then OH heads to work then they're alone for 5 hours which they spend asleep, followed by a training walk followed by a compulsary afternoon nap with me in bed (i get up for work at 4.30am as I need to work full time and make sure they're not left alone all day). We then head out for walk/training (and pub ph34r) in the evenings which is usually about 2 to 3 hours. So their weekday is very much bursts of energy followed by time out to sleep.

At weekends we can be on the go all day so they get the most sleep in the car. although now Clovers older she takes herself off for naps. For example shes started snoozing between flyball runs so we've been putting her in the car to get some piece. Dexter hates to not be involved so hes prob awake a bit too much. He does get cranky and really crashes in the evenings

I think they are very much glad when I go back to work on Mondays.  :005: If its a week day and Im off they do put themselves to bed for their morning kip.

So Total weekday sleep: 5 hours in the morning, 2 in the afternoon
Weekend: hardy any but they do go to bed about 7pm

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 08:15:26 PM »
I would say mine get around 3-4 hours during the day. I consciously give them quiet/down/sleep time during the day and early evening.

It's now 17 years since I had my first Spaniel (Springer). Energy wise; I know I could take them out walking/training for an hour or two and give them a very short break and they would do it all over again within minutes, several times a day if they were allowed  ::) However, I think/feel it is beneficial for them not to be over stimulated and have a good rest period time during the day.

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »
My 2 are show cockers so don't know whether it counts but they are quite a lazy pair really, I don't need an alarm as they wake me with 'kisses' at 7 am ::) they are then fairly hyper until about 9.30am and from then on they are either sleeping, lazing , running around the garden or out on a walk. They settle about 7ish until bedtime so a fairly chilled out lazy pair ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »
Went to a seminar on 'Stress in dogs' today & one thing learnt, was dogs should get approx 14-18 hours sleep a day  :luv:
................think my 3 are trying to top that advice  ................................... Oh & I want to come back as a dog next time   :011:

If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 09:39:07 PM »
Thats Kali on track then!! :005:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 09:40:44 PM »
Thats Kali on track then!! :005:

lol yup think mine qualify there. When they are awake they are on the go, but they sure do like thier snoozes  :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 09:40:54 PM »
Went to a seminar on 'Stress in dogs' today & one thing learnt, was dogs should get approx 14-18 hours sleep a day  :luv:
................think my 3 are trying to top that advice  ................................... Oh & I want to come back as a dog next time   :011:

that's really interesting Lindsay - must find where I found that original article about the 3 hours down time during the day  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 09:47:32 PM »
that is very interesting indeed....so how does that equate with working dogs who are on the go all the time during the shooting season?

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 09:49:45 PM »

that's really interesting Lindsay - must find where I found that original article about the 3 hours down time during the day

Surely the 14-18 includes overnight so would still be plausible with 3 being in the daytime... ok maybe not 18, I know we don't sleep that long at night

Offline spongebob

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 09:51:23 PM »
I think that dogs like humans are all different(thank goodness!) My friend is fresh as a daisy after 4hrs each night-I'd be like a half-shut knife! Some dogs zizz a lot,some don't- surely not a problem if they are happy  ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 09:51:47 PM »
that is very interesting indeed....so how does that equate with working dogs who are on the go all the time during the shooting season?

they're not on the go all day every day Sue - usually only a couple of days max a week, and have a lot of rest between :dunno:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 09:52:51 PM »
just noticed how many are viewing this  :o hot topic  :005:

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 10:04:04 PM »
Sue I am so surprised at what I learnt today as it really was so very different to everything I've read or heard before & it applies to ALL breeds.....but makes perfect sense! If you could ever get to go to one of her (Winkie Spiers!) seminars or google her work - very interesting reading!!   Controversial maybe as it is quite radical to conventional thinking but I'm going to research it some more - anything that benefits the girls & teaches me in the process is a good thing  :luv:

Helen - I think you'd of liked it too - very much  ;)

If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!