Author Topic: COLers I'm gonna need your help.  (Read 7538 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: COLers I'm gonna need your help.
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2010, 11:08:39 PM »
Very happy to help.

I hope you will publish your findings. With a big enough sample you might be able to debunk (or prove) some of those myths!!

I'd really like around 500 dogs. I'm not really sure where this will lead so all the more reason to have a looksie.
Thanks for all the reply's
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2010, 12:27:04 AM »
Would the fact that certain colours are bred more than others be taken into account, ie. wouldn't your sample have to reflect this as well

Plus would you have a control sample as well ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2010, 02:42:37 AM »
When I lost my first cocker, the vet told me:  blacks don't like people, ......but particolours like everything.
That really made me laugh  :rofl1:
Bella goes into paroxysms of delight when anyone new turns up,(perhaps she's hoping they will rescue her from me  ph34r ). Whilst Fern (liver & white) was unsure of most dogs and people.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2010, 06:32:21 AM »
Pleased to help, Ollie dark blue roan
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2010, 06:52:04 AM »
Tri and 2 blacks here happy to help!
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2010, 07:49:32 AM »
Id love to help - and would love to know the results too.

Especially as we DID have agression problems with our golden cocker so were always dealing with that "cocker rage" theory.

Ive got a blue roan with tan, and ex now has the golden boy!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2010, 10:44:55 AM »
Would the fact that certain colours are bred more than others be taken into account, ie. wouldn't your sample have to reflect this as well

Plus would you have a control sample as well ;)

to get accurate findings i guess i'll have to Penny, I'll also have to try and take lots of other factors into account to try and  either prove or dis prove my hypothesis.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2010, 11:00:10 AM »
An 11 month old golden show boy here, temperament is excellent (apart from usual mad cocker half hours!) Lesley  ;)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Pip895

« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2010, 11:24:41 AM »
You need a control if you are experimenting in some way – not sure you need one for the type of work you are doing, but you will defiantly need to consider bias in your sample – active COL members may not be totally representative of cocker owners in general!  You will need some data from outside of COL I would of thought.

Among COL members you may for instance find a lower percentage of dogs coming from puppy farms, or more rescue dogs than normal or even a higher percentage of “problem” dogs – whose owners have been drawn to COL in the first place – could be a whole study in itself.  :005:

Re designing questionnaires my experience is that you always end up wishing you had asked one extra question – perhaps you could use “Dog related polls” to get some interim data – check sample size and representativeness etc.

You have probably thought of all this and more  ph34r– I used to work in research and I think I’m getting withdrawal symptoms- :005: Good luck.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2010, 10:14:19 PM »
One beautifully tempered, bomb proof but hyper solid gold and a more sedate but tricky blue roan here... happy to help!

Sounds exciting! I have worked in market research so different field, but I'm not sure how you could have a control group for the type research you're doing???

Splitting real behavioural issues from human handling/raising is going to be interesting too. It might be worth having a separate 'owner profile' for dogs raised from pup and rescue dogs also to try and distinguish if the problem is genuinely dog related or owner driven?

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2010, 10:20:34 PM »
Put our name down too! We have a many and varied collection!  :005: You might want to talk to our black and white boy, Chester who has the canine version of ADHD!  :luv:

Got a female B&W version here  ph34r
Do you want copies of the pedigrees too???
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »
love to help grace is gold have been told lots of times golds are mad untrainable  and aggressive  >:D so not true grace is  :luv:
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »
Meant to add my last (black) cocker Barney :luv: had rather severe behavioural problems too. A very interesting topic :blink:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2010, 03:24:28 PM »
When I lost my first cocker, the vet told me:  blacks don't like people, goldens don't like other dogs but particolours like everything. (Don't everyone shout at me - it was the vet who said that !!!!!!!) 

interesting isn't how certain people have certain ideas on how colours effect personalities!! I have a golden who doesn't like most dogs  :005: but i wouldn't sya it was done to his colour!! imagined if I'd only ever met and listened to your vet - I'd be blaming his colour for his behaviour!!!

L&O x

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
  • Merry has a hoard of stolen treasure in his bed!
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2010, 03:26:01 PM »
Would love to help here if we can.
Have a show black and white ticked boy here. Interestingly his breeder only breeds particolours due to possible behavioural problems in solids (her beliefs not mine!).
Glad Hannah raised the point of nature vs nurture as was going to say that merry has some behavioural probs which I'm sure are due to our mistakes as first time owners rather than genetics.
I also think environment plays a part too. We have just added to the COL baby boom  ;) and merry's behavioural has changed due to the new baby and because we're not managing to give him quite as much exercise at the mo  :-\
Emma and Merry the Pirate x