Author Topic: can you recommend dog walks near Maidstone, Kent?  (Read 13138 times)

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
can you recommend dog walks near Maidstone, Kent?
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:27:06 PM »
Hiya

I live in Sittingbourne, about ten mins from Maidstone. At the mo the best place to walk the dogs off lead is a 40 mile round trip to Jeskyns, near Gravesend :o
it is almost flat, has a free car park, loads of doggy mates to meet, and even better, an enclosed training area :D

Does anyone else live near by and can you recommend anywhere abit closer?

White Horse Woods at the top of Detling hill is closer, but very near to a main road, and usually has cattle there.

thanks!! (sorry if posted in the wrong place!)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Re: can you recommend dog walks near Maidstone, Kent?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:37:02 PM »
Yep, definitely.  Capstone - but not the part with the lakes!! Go past there and take the turning as if you are going to the Ski Centre.  Follow the road up the hill (instead of round to the ski centre car park) and there is a car park at the top.  Loads of fields, woods, hills, valleys, dogs galore!!! We are there every weekend, and every day during the school holidays. Absolutely love it!  Very safe for dogs too (unless they chase horses as there is a bridlepath nearby), as you can walk a long way away from roads and cars!!!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:39:30 PM »
Hi Penelope.

thanks!!, is that the one near "Hamster Valley"?? just past Wyevales?

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:40:22 PM »
That's the one!!!
My gang absolutely love it up there (and so do I!)
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »
great!!, guess we have somewhere new to explore at the weekend :D

Offline peggysmum

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:57:53 PM »
well pen has suggested capstone which is my fav ,so have you tried moat park or riverside country park, gillingham, there are also a couple of others just of the m20. one is by nottcuts, just of bearsted rd/new cut rd its called vinters valley reserve or cobtree manor country park just of forstal rd aylesford. or kemsley down church marshes, havent tried the last 3 but ive heard good things and so they are on my list also you could try the kent wildlife trust website as they have lots of reserves you can walk on. i have a map book of medway/kent and often sit and look at different areas of woodland and then go to see if i can find them. i dont have holidays so finding good dog walks localy is what passes for a holiday for me and mine  :-\

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 10:16:26 PM »
Yep, definitely.  Capstone - but not the part with the lakes!! Go past there and take the turning as if you are going to the Ski Centre.  Follow the road up the hill (instead of round to the ski centre car park) and there is a car park at the top.  Loads of fields, woods, hills, valleys, dogs galore!!! We are there every weekend, and every day during the school holidays. Absolutely love it!  Very safe for dogs too (unless they chase horses as there is a bridlepath nearby), as you can walk a long way away from roads and cars!!!

Sounds like it would be good for a COL meet  :D
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 08:15:04 AM »
Hi Peggysmum.

The marshes at Sittingbourne are abit of a no go at the moment as they are building a new road through there and making a bigger, better park. It looks like it will be great when finished, but there is alot going on there with heavy plant etc.

I didnt realise you could walk at Cobtree Manor, and have passed it loads of times, will try it out!!.
thanks for the tips, time to explore!!

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:02:26 PM »
Shorne is just a few minutes further on from Jeskyns and has toilets, visitor centre, cafe, huge play area for the children so its more worth the travel as you can enjoy a day out because of the facilities.

Trosley Country Park is another our our favs....with facilites too...that's near Meopham.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 12:54:04 AM »
Oare marshes.  (not sure whether these are referred to as Sittingbourne marshes)?  Otherwise Mote Park in Maidstone is great.  On way to Jeskyns is Ranscombe Farm - fantastic for long walks off lead.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 07:55:30 PM »
Hi and thanks to you all for the replies.

Black, red and yellow. we have been to Trosley and it was very good, joined a dog group there. but that is further from me than Jeskyns, and If we went to Shorne, we may as well carry onto jeskyns for the free parking :D

were planning to try out some of the other suggestions today, but the rain hasn't stopped all day, so haven't ventured out, good job the dogs like the rain less than they need a run :lol2:

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 08:00:24 PM »
Hi and thanks to you all for the replies.

Black, red and yellow. we have been to Trosley and it was very good, joined a dog group there. but that is further from me than Jeskyns, and If we went to Shorne, we may as well carry onto jeskyns for the free parking :D

were planning to try out some of the other suggestions today, but the rain hasn't stopped all day, so haven't ventured out, good job the dogs like the rain less than they need a run :lol2:

True - depends what you are looking for in a walk...Jeskyns is a bit flat for my boys...not enough stuff to 'look in' :lol:

Offline Abbi

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
Oare marshes.  (not sure whether these are referred to as Sittingbourne marshes)?  Otherwise Mote Park in Maidstone is great.  On way to Jeskyns is Ranscombe Farm - fantastic for long walks off lead.

We live near Chatham Kent and often go to Jeskyns as we're virtually on the M2, so quick to get to but will look into Ranscombe Farm as not heard of that one. Not sure the best place to access it as it gives various routes to access the walks. Is there a car park at a particular site?

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM »

We live near Chatham Kent and often go to Jeskyns as we're virtually on the M2, so quick to get to but will look into Ranscombe Farm as not heard of that one. Not sure the best place to access it as it gives various routes to access the walks. Is there a car park at a particular site?

It's not far from the entrance to the Strood tip.....there is a very small car park for about 10 cars max....be aware that sometimes the moocows are out on the hills......and you have to walk through them sometimes......I made my hubby take a detour through the streets and we got lost for a bit :005: :005: :005:

Offline Abbi

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 09:50:53 PM »

It's not far from the entrance to the Strood tip.....there is a very small car park for about 10 cars max....be aware that sometimes the moocows are out on the hills......and you have to walk through them sometimes......I made my hubby take a detour through the streets and we got lost for a bit :005: :005: :005:

I know it. Thanks for the warning about the cows   :005: