Author Topic: Is It Possible To Overwalk  (Read 10085 times)

Offline roxystaff

• Site Member
Is It Possible To Overwalk
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2005, 02:42:18 PM »
i took our 11 week old cocker, kenny for his 2nd vaccination last thursday and the vet said in 2 weeks he can start going out for walks etc. so i put the question to them about how long etc and she said 3 15 to 20 minutes walks per day at a sensible pace will do no harm to his bones at all, and no they hadn't heard of the 5 minutes for every month of there age. so hoping the vets got it right  :rolleyes:

also tried finding the thread about not allowing them upstairs, we've got an open staircase and the only place we can fix the stairgate is at the top. now worried kenny's doing hisself a lot of damage so have secure fixed a board at the bottom for when we there.    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2005, 03:05:06 PM »
i took our 11 week old cocker, kenny for his 2nd vaccination last thursday and the vet said in 2 weeks he can start going out for walks etc. so i put the question to them about how long etc and she said 3 15 to 20 minutes walks per day at a sensible pace will do no harm to his bones at all, and no they hadn't heard of the 5 minutes for every month of there age. so hoping the vets got it right  :rolleyes:

It's not set in stone how far a pup should be exercised ;) The 5 minute rule is just a guide which works well for many experienced owners but you're not necessarily going to find a vet who has heard of this guidance. Vets are the experts for diagnosing/treating illnesses but when it comes to things like diet, training & exercise, they are not always the best source of advice ;)

Jane
Jane

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2005, 06:31:57 PM »
you're not necessarily going to find a vet who has heard of this guidance. Vets are the experts for diagnosing/treating illnesses but when it comes to things like diet, training & exercise, they are not always the best source of advice ;)

Jane
I would always go to my vet to ask for the advise though; even if I chose eventually not to take it.  Veterinary school is pretty comprehensive; and most vets have at least one pet themselves  :rolleyes:

I think most 'pet' owners have to rely on their vet as they don't have access to the knowledge base shared amongst those in the breeding/showing community. Thats why COL is so great; we pet owners are able to ask questions of the experts when we are not sure of something - thank you!  :D  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club