Author Topic: Do cockers need dog coats in winter??  (Read 15903 times)

Offline Monstersspaniel

• My one and only
Do cockers need dog coats in winter??
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:02:57 AM »
For the really cold snaps?? Do they need a fleace or will a waterproof do???

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
Re: Do cockers need dog coats in winter??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »
Last winter's snow is about as bad as it's going to get I hope and I just put a kind of waterproof coat on Roxy on the really cold days (one of those from PAH - 3 peaks I think they're called). She was only about 7 month old at the time and she was fine but she is a worker and never stops running....
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Beezzzkneez

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:19:30 AM »
I plan on getting a dogcoat but it's more to do with the fact that we don't have a park within walking distance and will have to go on a drive to take Maike for a walk - I reckon if she gets really wet she could cool out quickly after her walks and this way she won't get quite so soggy in the first place and will be wrapped up warm afterwards. Kinder on my car as well!  :005:
Bee

Maike is our lovely golden working Cocker, born 12/07/11

Offline leahshafi

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
I managed to get Lola a little Waxed Jacket, that had fleece on the inside. I think it was from Pets at home, It stops them getting the snow balls on their tummies.
Good luck x

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 12:36:22 PM »
Henry has never shown any signs of needing a coat, apart from one time at the top of a mountain in the rain when the windchill factor was very high. He happily rolls around in the snow, despite being clipped. He does have a fleece to dry him off in the car after walks.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »
I dont think they need a coat to keep them warm
Bob has 2 he has a hurtta overall to keep the wet and mud off him as he has to come to work with me
and i dont have time to clean him up
and he has a equafleece to put on him in the car if he gets wet on a walk
they are very good in the snow as it helps with the snow balls they get on there fur
i also use vaseline on the bits of fur not in the coat

Offline penfold

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »
I have an equafleeces for my girls - not so much to keep them warm but more to keep them less muddy/wet as they are not clipped and their coat gets....well...muddy!  ph34r

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 01:03:59 PM »
Some do and some don't  ;). It will depend on age, thickness of coat, weather etc. Generally they get cold after the walk as they keep themselves warm zooming around.

Millie

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 01:13:28 PM »
When we had all the snow I picked up a fleece coat for Maisie - one with legs at the front. It really helped keep those massive armpit snowballs at bay. She was definitely a lot more comfortable without those on a walk so I think it was worth every penny.

One of my sons gave Maisie a thin waterproof one too which I use if it's a quick walk in torrential rain and cold in winter. It saves her sitting at home cold and damp for the rest of the morning for the sake of a five minute walk.

I'd never used one on a dog before and thought I'd be struggling to get her to wear them. However, she doesn't seem to mind at all and no problem putting them on. In fact she gets a dead soppy look in her eyes when she's wrapped up in her fleece coat!

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 05:27:17 PM »
For the really cold snaps?? Do they need a fleace or will a waterproof do???

Have to say that I find the coats a practical thing for me, as well as something warm for the doglets.  I have three, and when the fields are sodden, or there is snow on them..............coats are a blessing...........much less drying and brushing to do when I get back.

Don't really know whether they actually feel the cold or not.  I suppose they do, as they live in central heated houses like we do, don't they?
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »
Cassie has a Hurta jacket and I wish I had one !!!!

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »
I don't think Freya needs one, she only ever wears one for my convinience when I haven't got enough time for drying or we are going somewhere where she needs to be clean on arrival. When she was a tiny pup she used to feel the cold but shes much tougher now

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 09:15:17 AM »
Louis has an Equafleece that I put on him when he's very wet after rainy walks. He dries more quickly and my house stays a bit cleaner.

William also has an Equafleece but he wears his during walks in heavy rain, not after. He doesn't much like getting wet and as he's castrated and has a thick coat he takes ages to dry. If he's got really wet he won't settle when we get home but gets very agitated and shivery and rubs himself along the sofas. So it's easier for both of us to keep him as dry as possible in the first place.

I don't think they need coats to keep them warm as they're both very active, but that might change when they're older and less active.

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »
Charlie has an equafleece.  He does wear it during the winter while on his walks at 12y/o now he does feel the cold more than when younger.
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 03:59:04 PM »
My girls have Equafleeces which they wear after walks when wet in winter and during the heavy snow to keep the snowballs at bay.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge